Grrrrrrr!! Now with added pics...

Started by Chris, October 8, 2003, 10:00

Chris

Why can't people park/manoeuvre  properly?   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

There I was parked up in a marked bay quite happily, only to come back and find a whacking great dent in the side, where someone doesn't know the length of their car and/or doesn't know how to drive and let their bumper scrape down my rear wing...  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

No pics yet *, but the dent is from the filler cap to the sill in height and from the side vent to the wheel arch in length, with a 10cm square or so white scrape in the middle.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Good job it's going for a service on friday, i can get them to look at it then - anyone have any idea how much a new rear wing is?

* EDIT:  pics:
http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.roy/crash/wing-scratch.jpg
http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.roy/crash/wing-dent.jpg

Fingers crossed for a small estimate tomorrow!!
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

OH MY GOD! B*(*)(*DS! And of course, they didnt leave a note to say "sorry i cant drive, here is my number to arrange insurance".... some people!

Chris

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"And of course, they didnt leave a note

Yep, spot on   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   i reckon i would if i ever did something similar, but then again I can do a 3 point turn without wacking someone!
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"Good job it's going for a service on friday, i can get them to look at it then - anyone have any idea how much a new rear wing is?

Hope you're sitting down... I've had both rear wings done because of similar circumstances...

Painted and fitted: ~£1200   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Although that was metallic, so black will be a bit less as the paint doesn't need blending-in in the same way.

Anonymous

Quote from: "pmdye"Painted and fitted: ~£1200   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Although that was metallic, so black will be a bit less as the paint doesn't need blending-in in the same way.

*THUD*

sorry, fell off my chair!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Chris

Quote from: "pmdye"Hope you're sitting down...

Painted and fitted: ~£1200   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Although that was metallic, so black will be a bit less as the paint doesn't need blending-in in the same way.

Bloody Hell!!! How much?? I assume that was each time, or did you have the misfortune to get both dented at the same time?

As we all know, paint can't be that much for a black car (being only 2 microns thick   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ), and i'm hoping they may be able to pull out the dent (no crease that i can see) and tcut the scratch...  

here's hoping  s:!: :!: s:!:
[size=100]
[/size]

markiii

might be worth checking the scrappy as the wings just unbolt, you could swop if they have a black one.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"Bloody Hell!!! How much?? I assume that was each time, or did you have the misfortune to get both dented at the same time?

No, that was each time, on two seperate occasions. The first time I caught the offender (a taxi!) courtesy of the CCTV covering the car park at work, and they agreed to pay up personally (hence I have a copy of the Mr T quote and invoice).

The second time some dim girl (sorry to be sexist, but she was...) pulled out of an on-road parking bay straight into the side of me. That went through insurance (and took over a year to recover hire car costs   s:evil: :evil: s:evil: ).

Tem

Sorry to hear that Chris  s:( :( s:(

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"they didnt leave a note to say "sorry i cant drive, here is my number to arrange insurance"

...or "I'm the guy who hit your car and since ppl saw it I have to write something so they think I'm leaving my contact info"...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Chris

lol!!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   thats a twisted sense of humour   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

had the same thing happen last year while i was driving along and the tosser drove off,police never caught who it was .
good job i have protected no claims but it was still £400.00 i could have spent on something else.
dont wanna put a hex on things but i thought i could have it pulled out but it needed a new panel.

sorry about the size but it is the best way to see the damage.

Anonymous

Hey Chris, sorry to hear about your loved one.   s:( :( s:(

I can't work out why spraying these days costs so much. If it is just a case of filling and spraying as you say, possible sratch after pulling out any dents, then why are will still charged for spraying full wing when they can, and do use an air brush on smaller area's.

The amount of paint used is minimum.

Guess we have to pay a surcharge for gullibility   s:!: :!: s:!:

If the dent is not too bad you could try to get it out yourself, if paint is not broken/cracked try using what the trade use, place a hair dryer over affected area, the heat will expand the metal and usually pop-out, mind you I have not tried this on a large area.

Anyway hope you get it sorted.

Anonymous

I had almost exactly the same damage as Jonboy, after some chump reversed out of a supermarket parking space into the side of me.. I was stationary and waiting to turn right at a junction!

"i thought you'd gone!"... no, I was still there... and you'd have seen me if you'd bothered to LOOK BEHIND YOU!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I never did find out how much it cost, but it needed a new rear wing, and had to be taken back twice for them to do a proper job on the paint.

According to the bodyshop that did mine, just filling and then painting is frowned upon on a car less than 3 years old.. and I think I'd rather have a nice new wing anyway.. although it isn't cheap!

Sorry to hear you've suffered Chris. When is someone going to invent an affordable in-car perimeter sensing video system, that has a couple of micro cameras mounted on the outside of the car and records vandal/parking damage as it happens?!  That gives me an idea....

Tim

markiii

who needs cameras, perimeter sensing and a flame thrower should do just fine  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Chris

Quote from: "jonboy"good job i have protected no claims

there in lies my problem - i did have protected no claims last year as axa would let you protect on 3yrs, but changed to dorset this year and they won't protext until you get 4yrs, which i'm 6 months away from!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   to the flame throwers!!
to think that i moved out of the cctv covered station car park as they put the price up and i thought it was a give away leaving a car there all day anyway...   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:( :( s:(
[size=100]
[/size]

markiii

maybe we should delete this thread and start and discuss it again i 7 months?  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Terrible.  This should make you feel better:

A colleague bought a brand spanking new WRX PPP a couple of weeks ago.  Four days later he reversed against a bollard.  He damaged his rear bumper and driver-side rear door and wing.  The cost came to £1500.
It's not even run in yet...

There are worse... My team leader drove his TT in his garage... with the boot open!!!  To scared to get an estimate.

Have you seen the "tough new Polo" ad where the guy opens the door against a pole and the pole takes the shape of the door?  Well, 911s are not as tough...  It happened in front of my eyes and I nearly cried.  You should have seen the guys face.

Shit happens mate.  And it happens to everyone, sooner or later.

Anonymous

my heart goes out to u.
i know what you are goin through.
i hope u can get it pulled out.

Chris

Quote from: "markiii"maybe we should delete this thread and start and discuss it again i 7 months?  s:D :D s:D

I was thinking that myself!!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
[/size]

Anonymous

ohhh, photos! nasty mate.   s:( :( s:(

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Emmanuel"Terrible.  This should make you feel better.

IIRC the quickest MR2 Roadster crash so far is by Newcastle United's Lomana LuaLua. He managed to write it off on the way back from the dealership. I did have a picture of it. Peter Beardsley's face was a better sight!!!!

Chris

Quote from: "Chris"
Quote from: "pmdye"Hope you're sitting down...

Bloody Hell!!! How much?? I assume that was each time, or did you have the misfortune to get both dented at the same time?

As we all know, paint can't be that much for a black car (being only 2 microns thick   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ), and i'm hoping they may be able to pull out the dent (no crease that i can see) and tcut the scratch...  

here's hoping  s:!: :!: s:!:

Well, looks like the hoping worked   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
The panels are £130 +vat, so i'm looking at a total cost of around £600, including fixing the minor scrape on the door!  bit of a result me thinks...
[size=100]
[/size]

Chris

Just to follow up this thread, I booked my car in for tuesday and got it back last night.  Total cost £665 for new quarter panel and fixing the 2 other minor scrapes I had (pass. door/rear bumper)

I'm well happy with the quality of the work, and they even gave my car a valet inside and out to the extent of back to black tyres!!    s:o :o s:o   It looks brand new again!!   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

I would totally recommend them to anyone
http://www.glcoachworks.com
[size=100]
[/size]

kevin mcCann

WHAT !!!!   oooo i dont feel well now,,,,  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  
Quote from: "pmdye"
Quote from: "Chris"Good job it's going for a service on friday, i can get them to look at it then - anyone have any idea how much a new rear wing is?

Hope you're sitting down... I've had both rear wings done because of similar circumstances...

kentsmudger

Quote from: "kevin mcCann"
Quote from: "pmdye"

WHAT !!!!   oooo i dont feel well now,,,,  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

....and that was 6 years ago, too.

Have you got a similar problem?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Tags: