Whats the overall cost for a C2 install

Started by proeliator2001, June 27, 2006, 19:36

kanujunkie

Perry do you want to meet up sometime and have a drive?

as for the instruction guide then thats a no, i tried to get Gas to do one but he never got around to it, but we do have a pretty good idea now and can do you an install guide ourselves if you want. I never had my kit fitted to the car on the dyno day and i have no idea what sort of power its putting out but i do beleive its lower than i would like. I've got some guages on order and once installed i'll turn the boost up and let yo know how i get on

by the way, if you want to talk to Gas, then e-mail or pm him for his msn messenger address, he's on there regulary

main issue with the C2 is heat retention, my intake pipe at the filter, i.e. pre turbo get hot, but then i guess thats just an issue with rear engine cars and something i must tackle soon
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks Mark

has to be said that I did notice massive drops in air charge temps after fitting the charge cooler.

as a direct comparrison, the temps noted post turbo were the same with the charge cooler running as with the aquamist on its own  (when the aquamist came in)  but of course the aquamist wasnt actually doing anything a lot of the time and even then the radiant heat was still causing a great deal of engine heat soak.  so at all times other than when the aquamist was coming in the temps were getting scaringly high pre the charge cooler going in.

also whilst sitting at the lights, although the front charge cooler rad wasnt getting any cooling air, the pump was still carrying a lot of the heated water away.

When I visited PACE originally to look at having a custom set up made, they also said that the quite long length of the water pipess on the under side of the car would also help with cooling, as the pipes themselves would help to cool the passing heated water.

When the two (Aquamist & C/Cooler) were running together I felt much more at ease running high boost levels.

I personally believe however that 12 psi was at the limit of the small PE blowers performance and there were no further realistic power gains to be had.

I have our resident importer of Jap cars looking for a suitable donar car for me at the auctions   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   but may start work/collecting parts prior to getting the actual car.

unless of course anyone wants a porker and has an MR2 to part ex   s;-) ;-) s;-)   them i may decide to move to more sensible daily driver earlier than planned   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

kanujunkie

thanks for the offer matey, I might well give you a shout if I'm coming down your way    s:D :D s:D  

I did box my filter area off with ally sheet and heat resistant cloth/sheet from D/Tweeks, however I never monitored the intake temps properly and concentrated on the heat post turbo when i had the 'two'.

thinking about it, I should have spent more time looking in that area as well   s:idea: :idea: s:idea:

kanujunkie

i think i'll resurrect the heat management thread and look into this more, I'm also thinking a set of C-One side intakes will help and go for a ram air effect, perhaps even so underbody ducting as well.

one thing i had to do by the way Perry was to extend the intercooler intake scoop as after fitting it only stuck about 1mm into the airflow. After extending it by around 8-10cm's it had a much better effect and temps dropped significantly. But its still not enough  s:? :? s:?  

WOOOOOHOOOOOO, MY 8000TH POST!!!!!!!!   s:D :D s:D  (oh heck i need to get a life  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )
[size=100]Stu[/size]

spit

Quote from: "kanujunkie"WOOOOOHOOOOOO, MY 8000TH POST!!!!!!!!   s:D :D s:D  (oh heck i need to get a life  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )

Post whore - I resign. no one listens to me anyway  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

*sobs in corner*
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

kanujunkie

Quote from: "spit"Post whore - I resign. no one listens to me anyway  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

*sobs in corner*

whats up mate, you ok?

oh and you know i cant read  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"Jeez was that PE still set at 6psi on D-day?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Those chargecoolers must be pretty dman effective - or was it aquamist? I'm confused! .

I hadnt sold him the aquamist and also the PE fuel pressure regulator remained in my tank, so I didnt want him melting pistons 5 mins after I sold him the kit .

when i asked him at the rolling road day he said he apparently hadnt changed the settings since I gave the kit to him and I had set the profec to the 'safe' map and also to 6psi.  thought it best for him to 'feel his way' first before running higher boost levels.

markiii

so drifting off topic a little,

Perry what would you reccomend for a cost effective chargecool kit at the mo?

MWR comes out at circa £500 with current exchange rate. which isn't bad
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

is that the bullet/barrell one they use?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

To be honest matey I'm not sure at present as I've been out of the loop for quite some time as the porker gives bucket loads of performance without even seeing the engine

with the MWR kit the hosing is the same as compressor hose found on building sites   s;-) ;-) s;-)    the pump is no more than a 12 volt version of a very small pond pump and the rad could be replaced by a suitable size e-bay version or an AC rad from a donar car.

however we all like to have  a bit of bling showing at the front end   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

all it had was two brackets welded on top and bottom for fitting to the cars main members.

by the time you've bought a suitable charge cooler as well your probably not far off their price anyway  (I bought one on its own originally whilst awaiting release of the MWR kit and it cost me about £230 from a company in Oz)

markiii

so might be worth just buying their core and scavenging teh rest cheap in teh UK then?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

quite possibly matey, the hosing weighs a ton, so shipping costs if nothing else would be reduced greatly

heres a post I did many moon back about temps

m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB2/viewto ... c&start=30 m

Anonymous

These are the barrels MWR use.  m http://www.pwr-performance.com/intercooler.htm m

Anonymous

watcha bud!!!     s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "perry190"watcha bud!!!     s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Hi mate. You getting rid of the porker then or having both?

Anonymous

Problem i am having is due to the governments 'decent homes' scheme, all construction companies are doing more and more work in lets say 'less tastefull' areas   s:? :? s:?    ie the councils are moving the crack dens and prostitutes out of the houses, were moving in and making them lovely and then the crack dens come back!

consequently a bright yellow porker with 19" split rims isnt the best car to park up whilst doing an audit.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

so i'm thinking along the lines of building another show car and using something less in your face for work ie M3 beemer or the likes.
'
If I can pick up a cheap 'two' and all my bits I can work on it over the winter now we have a decent size double garage.

The porker can be changed now or later, no particular time scales in mind.

ideal scenario would be a swap for an mr2 and cash, but the more likely is swapping the porker for a more expensive beemer or the likes.

your porker still stock then?

philster_d

My charge cooler pump and rad were ony £100 second hand, I sold it on for eexactly the same when I went IC.

markiii

remind me what pump nd rad you had Phil?

Anonymous

Off an Impreza, weren't they?

kanujunkie

yep, they were
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

were they a good fit? does phil have aircon?

has anyone with aircon fitted a chargecooler?

Anonymous

mine was non aircon

kanujunkie

Quote from: "markiii"were they a good fit? does phil have aircon?

no Phil doesn't have aircon, but there should still be room to make it fit with an aircon rad, only issue would makeing the brackets up, you'd have to get creative and hope that 3 radiators back to back dont create problems on there own. My preference would be to make a large ram air scoop, loose the front storage and add a vented front bonnet so that the air comes up through the CC rad and then up through the bonnet and over the car al la Noble style
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Mine was aircon, though i never fitted the kit, i did take the bumper off and offer the rad up and it fitted fine. The other mr-s turbo has it now, don't know if he has aircon but it definatly doesn't cause a problem.

Anonymous

Right, after seriously considering a lot of options I am convinced the C2 kit is the way to go. So a couple of questions for the guys in the know.

Manifold - is it cast or not, I thought it was tube Stainless but earlier in this thread it is refered to as cast? If not is cast an option, how much and is it worth it? (prob better aimed at Gas)

Ceramic Coating - Necessity or nice if you can stretch to it?

My shopping list so far includes:-

BC-301 Turbosmart Gated Boost Control
Inovate Wb AFR
Boost Gauge
Eventually a clutch (RPS/ACT etc)

Anything else????

And cheekily does anyone fancy fitting it for me? (Handsomely rewarded obviously) bats eyelids at Ste, Stu, Markiii, Aaron etal   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

I am a complete engine pleb  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  and half of the stuff I have read up on has gone in one ear and out the other. I have put the feelers out to Prolex for install initially but he doesn't know how long it would take to fit and it would be a per hour charge.

Any other info would be very much appreciated guys.

Thanks in advance

spit

yay!

Cast is now the standard. The arrangement has changed and I believe twin pipe is no longer an option because of the altered layout and intense alignment grief. Gas will always mod to order though.

Coating - doesn't last forever but is supposed to give performance gains

Harness for the EManage can save A LOT of swearing

Good choice to add a Wideband   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

You might want to ask Gas about a sandwich plate option for the oil feed instead of a T-piece - neater and less drippy!

You'll need a clone cable for any EManage tweaking - the interface only works with a built-in dongle.

Cable ties and gaffer tape is also handy  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Seriously though, the appropriate sealants for oil pan, threadlock for nuts etc.

Happy to get grubby with install assistance ... but if a numptie like me can do it I'm sure its well within your reach.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: