Strange lights flashing!!

Started by leon_in_uk, June 28, 2006, 16:16

leon_in_uk

umm when i tap on my breaks the hand break light flashes at the exact time as the battery light...

only for a split second sometimes when breaking...

how weird? a loose connection maybe?
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

Anonymous

I'd take the car back to your expert MR2 mechanic friend. Something's definately not right there.

Anonymous

lol - no don't - lol - ratflmao

ninjinski

Quote from: "leon_in_uk"umm when i tap on my breaks the hand break light flashes at the exact time as the battery light...

only for a split second sometimes when breaking...

how weird? a loose connection maybe?

Maybe its time for a Kit Kat seeing that its a problem with the break!

*Ill get my coat*
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

markiii

Quote from: "Ekona"I'd take the car back to your expert MR2 mechanic friend. Something's definately not right there.

good idea he needs teh practice
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Chris_h

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "Ekona"I'd take the car back to your expert MR2 mechanic friend. Something's definately not right there.

good idea he needs the practice

But by the time he has it back on the road, summer will be over   s:( :( s:(  

Leon, have you found several empty Sake bottles in your 2? wondering if it was a party that Friday afternoon in Tokyo when your beast was built  s:?: :?: s:?:
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

markiii

more likley pints of M&B in the midlands when his engine was put in  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

jeezus!!!  post a seemingly rational and serious question and the guy gets assasinated!!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I mean, I know the guy possibly doesn't do himself any favours, but this is all probably a bit harsh!?

remind me never to get on the wrong side of you guys!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Chris_h

Quote from: "jamesr1"jeezus!!!  post a seemingly rational and serious question and the guy gets assasinated!!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I mean, I know the guy possibly doesn't do himself any favours, but this is all probably a bit harsh!?

remind me never to get on the wrong side of you guys!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yes sorry - you're right. I posted a similar post to yours in one of Leon's earlier posts - seems I've now fallen onto the darkside of this ongoing soap opera.

Sorry Leon, but you seem to deal with all these problems with impressive good humour   s:D :D s:D  

Re. the problem - The handbrake light is also the warning light for any (non ABS) problem in the braking system - such as low fluid / pads / faulty master cylinder etc (am I correct?)
In which case, is the first port of call to check fluid levels / and visual inspection of brakes to ensure safety?

Based on the fact the battery light is coming on too, would suggest a minor electrical problem? I can't think of an issue off the top of my head that would cause both. The only thing I can think of (that is a real problem) that illuminated the battery intermitently is a alternator belt slip / faulty alternator. But can't see how it would be related to the brakes..

IN short, I'm confused.
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Anonymous

Err, suppose you've checked your brake fluid levels

Anonymous

Leon,

I suspect that you could be low on brake fluid or an ABS sensor has gone duff. Definately check the brake fluid immediately though, if you haven't already!

[edit - beaten to it whilst thinking!]

Chris_h

Quote from: "Richie"Leon,

I suspect that you could be low on brake fluid or an ABS sensor has gone duff. Definately check the brake fluid immediately though, if you haven't already!

Richie, is there a seperate ABS light? would look, but too lazy to go outside!

Low fluid would make sense if flashing when braking, as presumably the sensor is in the reservoir and the level dips when brakes are used.

aaronjb

The fact that the battery light comes on as well would be pointing me toward an earth problem, probably somewhere around the rear light cluster or it's associated wiring..

But, of course, it could also be a bad earth on the cluster or somewhere else, and the fluid idea might be on the mark (or fluid level indicator).

IIRC the 'charging circuit light' (aka the battery) lights up when the alternator is not producing a current because the alt circuit goes 'open', leaving the battery light as the only path to the -ve of the battery.. it shouldn't come on for any other reason than something electrical.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris_h"
Quote from: "Richie"Leon,

Richie, is there a seperate ABS light? would look, but too lazy to go outside!

I'm not sure now that you mention it mate - and me too!

QuoteLow fluid would make sense if flashing when braking, as presumably the sensor is in the reservoir and the level dips when brakes are used

That was my thinking too.

As for the battery light flashing on, I was trying to think of a possible electrical fault that might cause that (if its none of the above) but can't think of anything specific asides poor earths or bulbs shorting in the light cluster

It could be Leons ECU wiring as I seem to remember he had problems in that department straight after the engine swap (Engine wouldn't Start)??

spit

Yes there is an ABS light - comes on and self-extinguishes if OK at start-up.

Leon. I take it this is a problem that has started recently and not one that has been present since the engine swap?

My thinking re. handbrake light is along the same lines as the posts above (fluids), but that would make the ignition light issue no more than a very bizarre coincidence.....

.....so now I'm wondering if you shouldn't return to all of the wiring that was disturbed during install and do a double-check.

Hmmmm.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

leon_in_uk

ok i will..

it hasnt come on in a while just last week it was flashing on and off etc. but only very quickly.

i have only just read all the posts so my first thing i will do before i drive will be to check all the fluids.

it didnt light this morning at all, so maybe just a very minor problem
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

Anonymous

We had this on our Focus, did come on all the time, but it turned out to be brake fluid, there was a leak.

Hardly a minor thing not having any brake fluid, so I would suggest you do check it regardless of whether the light is on now.  I wouldnt want to be the guy you run into the back off knowing that you could have an issue with your brakes.

leon_in_uk

right, travelling down the motorway yesterday, after checking my fluid...(it was on the max level and fine)

the two lights were coming on more frequent... so i did a little test.

every time i went over a big bump etc they are more likely to come on. and when i make the car jault left and right etc on a safe road the light comes on for each jault, as if the fluid is low but its not!!

i got in my car this morning and the first thing it did is show both lights for about 30 secs, and then flashed on and off on my journey to work..

the breaks seem normal, and so does the car! what could this mean?

the sensor??? or a dodgy connection??
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

kanujunkie

love the technical fault finding.................NOT!

you need to trace the wireing thru to determine the fault correctly, all your going to achieve by this course of action is a knackered set of tyres and still no idea what the hell is happening. Do it properly or take it back to your master mechanic
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

leon_in_uk

i did have alook at all fuses linked. and tried to follow wires. but im not a mechanic i didnt have a clue about the earthing etc.

the only thing i can do is take it to that mechanic... hopefully he will find a fault, but if not a trip to toyota.
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Anonymous

I had similar symptoms years ago in my old Scimitar.  The fluid level was fine, but the warning lamp kept coming on.  It took me some time to determine that the problem was due to the float - it was made of cork and had become saturated, at which point it no longer floated very well!

I guess floats are no longer made out of cork, but perhaps the float may be punctured?

leon_in_uk

shall i dip around the break fluid then?  s:D :D s:D  maybe do some fishing...
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

leon_in_uk

right, the lights dont come on now when i break, just when i accelerate...

which has changed, but they stay on alot longer. toyota want £62 for an hours labour to do a diagnostic test and to test the problem....

i think they are a rip off...

am i  better taking to an auto electrician?

thanks
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

aaronjb

If you can find a good auto electrician (they're hard to come by these days) then yes, absolutely..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Hang on... Almost two weeks on with a dodgy brake light flickering away on your dash, and you've still not got it fixed?!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Words ---> Me

Come on Leon, I'm not trying to be harsh here mate but you really need to bite the bullet and just get it checked out ASAP, else you could be introuble if something is seriously wrong and drive into the back of someone at 70mph+...

Tags: