Engine warning light

Started by Anonymous, July 17, 2006, 15:15

Anonymous

ahhh so that rules out going to a toyota garage  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Just kidding, the halbeath one in dunfermline are a good outfit  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

well turns out it's a oxy sensor, common fault from reading up on here.

10/10 to Mr.T for not moaning about it being an import, will find out how they found the fault when I go up tonight.

£38.16 to diagnose the fault.
£222.13 parts and fitting.

Thank god for a warranty  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

See if you can find out how much they would actually charge for just the O2 sensor, just out of curiosity...    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Glad to hear it's nothing major.

Anonymous

Meant to say, the invoice clearly states that they ran a diagnostics check on it and pulled code P0135, must be a good sign if you own a jdm in fife  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"See if you can find out how much they would actually charge for just the O2 sensor, just out of curiosity...    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Glad to hear it's nothing major.

WOW, what a difference, car runs sooo well now, very happy  s8) 8) s8)  

Anyway, part number 89465-17180 sensor,oxygen = £137.09 exc VAT

Anonymous

Well looks like its my turn for this now.....I took the MAF out and gave it a little clean. Had a little bit of some kind of black dust on it. Attached it all back, but the light has stayed on. Shall I try disconnecting battery?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Moreno"Well looks like its my turn for this now.....I took the MAF out and gave it a little clean. Had a little bit of some kind of black dust on it. Attached it all back, but the light has stayed on. Shall I try disconnecting battery?
Give it a go as Its advisable to reset the ECU anyway after cleaning the MAF sensor  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "Moreno"Well looks like its my turn for this now.....I took the MAF out and gave it a little clean. Had a little bit of some kind of black dust on it. Attached it all back, but the light has stayed on. Shall I try disconnecting battery?

how did you clean it and what did you use to clean it with?

filcee

Quote from: "Richie"how did you clean it and what did you use to clean it with?

SEARCH and you will find ...

Go to the search link on here.

Enter "MAF AND clean" (without the quotes) in the 'Search for Keywords' box.
In the list of results there will be a thread containing this post which links to this article on SpyderMagazine web site.

Took me two seconds - although I did know the answer would be here.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"As an aside, what's the best way to  clean the MAF?
Alcohol?
Brush?
Cloth?

Just in case i ever have to do it!

I use a lightly damp microfibre cloth, letting it hang and lightly brush up against the MAF. I was amazed at the amount of dirt that came off and it was barely touching it at the time.

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"
Quote from: "Richie"how did you clean it and what did you use to clean it with?

SEARCH and you will find ...

Go to the search link on here.

Enter "MAF AND clean" (without the quotes) in the 'Search for Keywords' box.
In the list of results there will be a thread containing this post which links to this article on SpyderMagazine web site.

Took me two seconds - although I did know the answer would be here.

I'm not a muppet, I do know how to search and I do know how to clean the MAF properly.

The reason I asked moreno was so that I can find out how he did it in case he perhaps made a small mistake which may have led to his subsequent problems with the engine light, ie to diagnose his problems.

Anonymous

Thank you guys....

I did the same, very fine cloth gently passed it over filament bulb. This took off a surprisingly large amount of dirt off of it. The thing I haven't done is disconnect the batter y yet.

Any ideas?

filcee

Quote from: "Richie"
Quote from: "filcee"SEARCH and you will find ...
I'm not a muppet, I do know how to search and I do know how to clean the MAF properly.

The reason I asked moreno was so that I can find out how he did it in case he perhaps made a small mistake which may have led to his subsequent problems with the engine light, ie to diagnose his problems.

Sorry  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  - I misunderstood the purpose of your post and stepped in a bit too heavily there.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Quote from: "filcee"Sorry  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  - I misunderstood the purpose of your post and stepped in a bit too heavily there.

No worries, I was in a bit of a crabbit mood last night so was probably a bit out of order with my reply. Bad day at the office as they say.

Anyway, back on topic, I personally wouldn't recommend using something which actually touches the filament of the MAF sensor. Even if it is a fine cloth, there is still the chance that it could scratch or damage the filament or even leave some of the fibres attached to it.

I would recommend using some wynns cleaner on it (Available from hellfrauds) as it leaves no residue behind and spraying it liberally should be enough to blast any dirt off of the MAF.

As for the ECU reset, this is standard practice when cleaning the MAF as it puts the ECU back onto "Learn Mode". not doing so shouldn't cause a CEL but would normally mean you wouldn't get "The best" out of your engine.

That said, it is always beneficial to try an ECU reset anyway and see if it keeps the light off. If it reoccurs, I would see if you can find somebody willing to swap MAF with you so you can see if the fault transfers to the other vehicle. if this is the case, you will have to replace your MAF.

See how it goes though.

Richie.

Tags: