Another blown engine?

Started by Tem, October 15, 2003, 16:11

MRMike

When my precat went they didn't replace the main cat, I did tell them to inspect it though and they said all was fine. To be honest I don't really believe this, so I'm just going to see how the car goes in the immediate future, apart from the white in the exhaust I've had no further symptoms. I'll definitely get it changed at the 10k service.

I really want a decat pipe.  Howver I also quite like my warranty.  I was wondering why there was never a removable decat pipe made...you cut cut the cat out of the exhaust then simply have a decat pipe with clamps on either end.  So come service time and emissions time you could swap the old cat back in without having to pay for the privilidge of having it welded back each time.  If in theory you could do this...presumably it would through CELs when the deacat was in place would it not?
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

markiii

H&S will make you a decat pipe that replaces teh cat pipe for approx £150

but bottom end torque will suffer. unless you chip it as well.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

you would need to use an O2 conditioner, then it will be ok

MRMike

Quote from: "markiii"H&S will make you a decat pipe that replaces the cat pipe for approx £150

Sorry about topic drift Tem!

Presumably I'd loose torque because of the loss of back pressure...to effectively plug this I'd need a chip that'd be user programmabe..rather than an off the shelf chip? Is that corrrect Mark?

Do you think H&S could make a self removable decat like i mentioned Mark? It's just with my old car it was a bloody pain to keep getting it put back on.  The garage I had it installed at offered a free remove and replace shceme though..do H&S offer anything like this?  Sorry I should really ring myself..but alas I am lazy
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

can you get chips that can have different maps at the touch of a button? so you could select 'economy map' for when its MOT time this would be handy if you've de-cat'd...

markiii

Quote from: "MRMike"
Quote from: "markiii"H&S will make you a decat pipe that replaces the cat pipe for approx £150

Sorry about topic drift Tem!

Presumably I'd loose torque because of the loss of back pressure...to effectively plug this I'd need a chip that'd be user programmabe..rather than an off the shelf chip? Is that corrrect Mark?

Do you think H&S could make a self removable decat like i mentioned Mark? It's just with my old car it was a bloody pain to keep getting it put back on.  The garage I had it installed at offered a free remove and replace shceme though..do H&S offer anything like this?  Sorry I should really ring myself..but alas I am lazy

correct, I am summising that teh chip could be adjusted to make the best result with teh decat.

What your suggesting qwould still have 4 bolts and 2 flanges though I don't realy see any benefit to doing that over just swopping a decat pipe for teh cat pipe as and when needed.

however with the pre-cats and no main cat you can pass emissions.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "MRMike"Sorry about topic drift Tem!

No worries, it's still on topic anyway  s;) ;) s;)

Back to my car, the mechanics were sure the main cat was also changed and remember opening it to find the cells were gone in there as well. According to my cars service history it hasn't been changed though...I guess I'll take the main cat off for test, install some ear plugs and see how the car runs without any pipe  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

They also checked some stuff through OBD and even if there weren't any errors, one of them was pretty sure the VVT isn't working at all. They are going to change the VVT-i controller OCV and see if that makes a difference (next tuesday, when they get it).

I'll ask them to hire Steve, if that's the case  s;) ;) s;)

Quote from: "SteveJ"Keep an eye on them though - so far all of the engine replacements have been bottom-end only (ie. short-engines) - the top end is being re-used and if there was no oil in it for any length of time there are going to be problems with the hydraulic tappets and the valve timing gear.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

I'm sure your keeping an eye on this by now anyway. but if teh VVTI isn't workign check you oil level.

MRMike

I know when mine went in, with its extremely low Oil level the car would labour past 4500 rpm..they replaced the pre-cats..and refilled the oil level, didn't touch the VVTI mechanism at all, and the car feels fine.  So like Mark says the oil level could be important. I had no idea about the Oil pressure controlling the VVTI timing gear until Mark told me

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

markiii

yep found out teh hard way that low oil means bugger all vvti.

Tem

Actually I've been checking the oil daily  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

It's just fine, doesn't seem to be losing any. I guess the VVT system got hurt when the engine blew..

Tem

*yawn* ...this is getting boring...

They changed the VVT controller valve and VVT started to work. But the car still won't go above 60mph. Now they said that they didn't change the cat after all and will change it and the manifold this time. And now they even thought that it's probably not safe to drive the car, so I got a Corolla for the week (they'll change the cat+manifold this friday)...

Oh btw, they said that Toyota Japan is very strict about the 3 years/100tkm and didn't even do the engine swap under warranty. Toyota Finland covered the whole thing...

Tem

Here we go again...the engine is losing oil fast, turning it black and making funny noises  s:? :? s:?  

While I'm at it, I might as well nag a bit about local Toyotas quality of work...though there aren't any finns here. The transmission oil check bolt was loose and dripping oil. The intake filter cover wasn't closed and there was a rag on top of the filter. The L-pipe before it wasn't connected to the box. One rear STB bolts was crossthreaded. Several scratches and dents in the engine compartment, rear fenders and rear bumper. They agreed to change the cllutch and flywheel to TRD for free, but I got charged for it and they even resurfaced the stock flywheel, which I had to pay. One of the water coolilng hoses broke off after some 50 miles, cause they didn't attach the clip. I wore out new pair of S03's, cause they didn't set the rear toe after the engine work.

...and they just don't seem to care about my complaints...

Anonymous

bloody hell mate, talk about being unlucky! what kind of monkeys do they have there working on your car?? is there not another dealership close by where you can take it to? any other dealer has got to better than that one!!  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Of F**K i was hearing a clattering last night, suffering from loss of power Pre-3K and some other weird noises, remembered this post and have just re-read it.

Am PROPERLY worried as my '03 is showing ALL the same signs as Tem's.

Haven't checked oil etc yet though   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Tem

Quote from: "bigun007"Of F**K i was hearing a clattering last night, suffering from loss of power Pre-3K and some other weird noises, remembered this post and have just re-read it.

Am PROPERLY worried as my '03 is showing ALL the same signs as Tem's.

Haven't checked oil etc yet though   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

I hope you don't have to join this club  s:? :? s:?

Go check your oils 5 mins ago  s;) ;) s;)  And while you're at it, check the precats and the tailpipe for white powder...

Anonymous

hmmm, an 03 failing aswell huh? i though toyota had made some differnces to the piston rings to stop oil getting past, but i suppose that still wouldnt prevent a blown engine caused from broken precats.

i really wish there was a pattern to these failures like a particular year or type of oil, driving style etc.. but it just seems be so random...  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Can't check because car is @ home and haven't driven to work.........am PETRIFIED!

Anonymous

I think MrMike's was the first '03 to go though?

MRMike

My pre-cat went..and it started to consume lots of oil, but the engine never let go though. Luckily for me!

Thought something was wrong the other night until I relalised that the banging was a screwdriver that fell behind the exhaust! Doh   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Has anyone had this blown engine problem twice????

Cos I have....  

First time round they changed the engine parts.  Now this this time they've changed the engine parts and the exhast from the manifold back.

Does anyone know what are the chances of me getting a blown engine again?

Tem

Quote from: "rainmen23"Has anyone had this blown engine problem twice????

Cos I have....  

First time round they changed the engine parts.  Now this this time they've changed the engine parts and the exhast from the manifold back.

Does anyone know what are the chances of me getting a blown engine again?

Welcome to the club (and I don't mean MR2 ROC)  s:? :? s:?

They changed my engine as well, but left the blocked cat in there. Bye bye new engine  s:? :? s:?

(there are several similar double blowns in SC as well)

Anonymous

Thx for the welcome

Though I'm on my second block, head (engine head that is) valve rods and 16 new valves and new manifold, exhast system

does this count?

Tem

Quote from: "rainmen23"Thx for the welcome

Though I'm on my second block, head (engine head that is) valve rods and 16 new valves and new manifold, exhast system

does this count?

Well...to be honest, even if everything was done right, you'll never know when/if it'll blow again  s:? :? s:?

Check this thread:
 m http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=46 m

The worst case was on his 5th engine at about 25k miles and then he sold the car  s:? :? s:?  Some drive over 50k miles without any issues and then the engine goes.

Tags: