Why do dealers employ monkeys?

Started by proeliator2001, August 8, 2006, 21:28

proeliator2001

Had my alloys replaced under warranty yesterday.  As you obviously need to take the tyres off, I decided to check the pressures once I got the car back from the dealer and the wheels had cooled off.

The backs were only 28 psi.  Not too bad I think, perhaps my gauge reads a little ubder (it is digital, so perhaps not!) and 28 on my display is really 32 psi .  So I then check the fronts.  One of them is 33 and the other is 35 psi   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    Which would make them 37 and 39 psi if mine does read under!!!!!!!  How bloody hard is it to inflate something to the correct pressure???  And how on earth does anyone think a mid-engined car should have 7psi more in the lightly loaded front tyres than on the rears.

Boggles the mind.  I rang the service manager up today and gave them a rollocking.  All they said is "I'll speak to the technician to make sure they know what the correct pressures should be"    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    Fat lot of good that will do them when their next customer understeers into a lamp post   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    And to think you pay them a fortune so that their staff get quality training   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

spit

1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Keith J Singleton

Hi - that's nothing! My car's nearside suspension (front and back, wheels, tyres, the lot was replaced five weeks ago after a really hard curbing. Too fast around a roundabout, my fault.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
So - I have red calipers, the paint was chipped when it came back from repair, Sunday afternoon I had the wheels off to repaint the chips - shock horror the dealer's had only assembled the rear flexible brake hose wrongly, instead of running up the side of the shocker they'd looped it under the bracket in an 's' bend. Consequently the rubber pipe had been rubbing on the bracket it goes into above - down to the braiding already   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Me not a happy bunny   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  Goes back to dealer on Friday and I want answers + a free main service at the end of the month!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Also this is the 2nd thing wrong since return. They'd not tightened the 3 10mm bolts holding the front of the engine skirt to the underside of the car, my friend Steve noticed the skirt was catching on the floor on our way to Wales. I'd lost 1 bolt and the other two were loose   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  
When you get the car back from the dealers - check everything they've had off if you can!
What if it had been someone who doesn't do their own small jobs - we're definately looking at brake failure when the brake hose rubbed through   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
05 Sable. Red calipers; J spec nose badge; TTE twin exhaust, Dev\'s Keyhole covers, Bama Wind deflector - J spec Bama badge. Mongos. Roadster Luggage. MR-S and MR Eagle badges only on rear. J spec wheel centres. Spoiler depot rear spoiler. Club windscreen sticker.

heathstimpson

Last time my dealer didn't just get the pressues wrong they put the fronts on the wrong way round when the tyres are clearly directional  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tem

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Last time my dealer didn't just get the pressues wrong they put the fronts on the wrong way round when the tyres are clearly directional  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

I remember someone at SC telling how his dealer was kind enough to rotate his tyres and didn't even charge for removing a pin in two wheels that prevented it.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

...one day I'll write about my last issue with a local dealer...  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Wabbitkilla

I haven't had the 2 serviced by a dealer yet, but am considering taking it to a localnon-dealer technician I can trust to;
a. Do a decent job
b. Not charge the earth for the honour.

My previous cr (Yaris Ts) was wholly dealer serviced. The last service needed the brake fluid renewing. Charged a not inconsiderable amount for the honour, loaned me a courtesy car that misread its fuel level and ran out. When I got my car back the brakes hardly worked. Considering how muh work Toyota dealers do on brakes thanks to the pitiful quality of the discs this is unforgiveable!

So is there anything I should make sure my local technician should do regarding the 2? I don't know if he's serviced one before! maybe I should download a service schedule rom somewhere?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: