Aerial

Started by Anonymous, August 9, 2006, 13:45

edward.carter

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "roger"It doesn't, well certainly not on post 03, and I believe pre 03 as well.

Pre-03 should retract when on CD as long as you don't have Traffic Announcements turned on on the radio side of things.
pre 03 it does retract on cd if ta and all the other announcement thingies are switched off  s:) :) s:)

leon_in_uk

the aerial is broke as it stays up without the ignition on..

the relay is new and the fuse dont blow. it must be the motor...

how can i wind this down guys??
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

aaronjb

Quote from: "edward.carter"pre 03 it does retract on cd if ta and all the other announcement thingies are switched off  s:) :) s:)

My emphasis was on the 'should' because I know Leon's is broken and doesn't, y'see  s;) ;) s;)   s:P :P s:P

Leon - is it possible to brute force it, so to speak? (i.e. push, hard)

Are you getting 12v on both sides of the relay at all now?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

leon_in_uk

i will test the relay tomora, but it just came and both blocks were fine..

i did push down on the aerial also, the fuse is the same as the cd player isnt it???
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

edward.carter

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "edward.carter"pre 03 it does retract on cd if ta and all the other announcement thingies are switched off  s:) :) s:)

My emphasis was on the 'should' because I know Leon's is broken and doesn't, y'see  s;) ;) s;)   s:P :P s:P

Leon - is it possible to brute force it, so to speak? (i.e. push, hard)

Are you getting 12v on both sides of the relay at all now?
sorry didnt realise was when ignition was off  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
paul had this on his sounded as if motor was turning but aerial not going down , as if aeial had disconnected from motor, in the end he just forced it down and then it was properly broke, never used the radio very often so it just stayed down all the time.

when you have had the car running and then switch it off, can you here the motor turning as if its trying to get the aerial down?

leon_in_uk

no, and would imigine if the motor was trying to go and not going down/jammed it would be pretty loud...

it doesnt even click.. it like all electric has switched off from that part.
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Anonymous

Surely the output of this relay would be either 12v or 0v?

Why not connect 12v or 0v directly to where the output of the relay would be (with the relay "open" or removed) and see if you can get the aeriel to go up or down, thus eliminating the relay from the equation?

Richie.

SimonC_Here

Just careful guys in this weather. The freezing fog had turned my aerial into an ice pole this morning. Turned off the car and there was a grinding noise as the aerial tried to retract.
Quickly turned it back on and chipped the ice off.

Just keep your eyes and ears open.

Simon

red_leicester

Good thinking Simon.
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

huriant

The freezing fog had turned my aerial into an ice pole this morning.

Yeah this happened to me as well, thought someone was throwing glass at the body work   s:o :o s:o  No damage done - the ice was fairly thin. The sooner I get rid of that damned ariel the better.

leon_in_uk

you tried anything to fix it?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

leon_in_uk

so then guys, i will be looking at the motor shortly, please can anyone tell me if i can wind down the motor and leave the aerial inside!!
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

keith macdonald

I have now got the "Leon" aerial problem, the aerial motor buzzes when radio turned on or off, but the aerial stays up.
I am sure the aerial is duff, anyone know where to get a replacement
electric, or manual aerial, that will fit, [apart from Mr T ]
  s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(   Keith
Silver 05 Mr2 de catted. 2cv Trike, Jaguar S Type, Harley Davidson, With a king prawn vindaloo.

kanujunkie

you can try pm Adam (Jap GT300) but if not then try a breakers yard
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

leon_in_uk

i tried on any breakers on the net. motors wont be that much, just didnt have time to fix it, i have already spent £30 on the relay and that is working fine, you will only need a motor!!!

search on google breakers and put in what you want. then replace the motor and the aerial will work!
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

keith macdonald

I have taken the aerial off, motor had one brush seized, freed this , motor ran but due to the nylon drive gear having several teeth worn off, motor whizzed but aerial just sat there,   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  .I dismantled the driving mechanism en bloc from the aerial, cut off the nylon drive rack, and binned all that, re-fitted aerial only which now pulls up and pushes down manually.   s:) :) s:)  .Will sort an electric replacement later, [if needed].
Either its had some past abuse or its shoddier than an XJ6.

2nd from oldest Keith
Silver 05 Mr2 de catted. 2cv Trike, Jaguar S Type, Harley Davidson, With a king prawn vindaloo.

aaronjb

I believe you can buy just the mast assembly - i.e. just the metal bit with the nylon drive rack inside it, and it's far far cheaper than a whole new assembly  s;) ;) s;)  (Even from Toyota)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

spit

Drive in quietly tonight so as not to upset the neighbours with Boost and BOV .... turn off the radio - GAJANGKAJANKAJANKAJANKA!!!

Motor is clearly fine - but the aerial stays up. Will a new mast and nylon do-dah fix this you reckon?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

aaronjb

Sounds like a good possibility, aye.

Nice impression of the noise, btw  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

I think I've still got my old mast and assembly and bits floating around the garage if you want it, just shoot me a PM.

custardavenger

Hi guys.

I take it from this thread that you can just replace the mast without the motor. I've been wanting to fit the post 03 black one to mine. Will it fit and whats the part no.?
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

Chris

post 03 black one? afaik, all models came with the standard extra long silver metal extending jobbie.  There was a GB on spyderchat for a smaller black replacement if that's what you mean?
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

custardavenger

I've seen some facelift roadsters with the Aerial up and it was black with just the tip chrome. Not after a short one.
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

spit

Lessons learned:

Part number for the rod and nylon feed assembly is 86337-17080.

If your old aerial has less than 115cm of nylon exposed when you remove it, there's still some left inside the winder   s:? :? s:?  

To get to the winder, put goggles on before you tackle the arch liner  s:? :? s:?  

If you have to dismantle the winder, keep a swear box handy  s:? :? s:?  

Grease gets everywhere  s:? :? s:?  

Reassembly is a breeze, especially after a few beers  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Job done!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Wabbitkilla

Stonking job - well done Ste  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: