Dealer Fit Twin Exhaust Option

Started by heathstimpson, October 16, 2003, 14:08

heathstimpson

Does anyone have the dealer fit twin exhaust option? Or would I be better off getting an alternative? This may of course affect the warrenty as I have only had the car six months.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Hope4Sun

I had a Postert Twin exhaust fitted to mine a few weeks after picking her up back in 2000, did not effect any warranty issues i had, i guess is just easier to have ya dealer do it all though now as the parts are so much easy to get it seems   s:? :? s:?  , but you will only have the TTE as an option, but nothing wrong with that  s:) :) s:)

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

GSB

The dealer fit option is the TTE (Toyota Team Europe) unit. Its expensive, and heavier than stock, and reportedly does nothing for performance, although I've personally never seen a dyno of it. On the other hand it sounds nice, (if a little subdued for some tastes) and looks the part if you like big tips. It's also guaranteed not to screw your warranty, which is always a plus point. One thing to be aware of, the TTE is a re-badged Remus unit, albeit with oval rather than round tips. You can get the Remus fitted for less than £350...

Some alternatives (there are others) are:

Postert - Another Remus / TTE clone

Magnex

Team Moon - The ultimate according to our US cousins, although unless you weld on new tips yourself it looks pretty awful.

Personally I had an exhaust custom made, as I didnt like the alternatives. And despite the car currently being the subject of extensive warranty work, the Toyota dealer hasn't worried about it.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

heathstimpson

So it looks as though are they generally just for cosmetic look?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I think Toyota charge £400 fitted, or about sixty quid cheaper supplied. Cheers.  s:D :D s:D

GSB

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Did it change the performance at all or are they generally just for cosmetic look?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Hayward & Scott = +3.5bhp according to independant dyno testing by Roger H, click on the link in my sig for more details and pics.

I've never seen a dyno for the TTE/Remus/Postert. The Team Moon adds anything from 3 to 8 bhp, depending upon who you ask...
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Its just a backbox isn't it? No point in hoping for a performance increase if just getting a new backbox. Best thing is to look for the design you want and the sound you want. They are the only reasons to getting a new backbox.

Anonymous

People always think its about power.  Mostly if you read Max Power.  Its about weight loss and responsiveness.  It makes the engine breath and rev better.

GSB

Quote from: "heathstimpson"So it looks as though are they generally just for cosmetic look?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I think Toyota charge £400 fitted, or about sixty quid cheaper supplied. Cheers.  s:D :D s:D

One other benefit of the Toyota Unit. If fitted as an option on a new car, you dont need to decare it as a modification to your insurance company. i.e. no extra premium... Thats a very big plus on the TTE front, although I still wouldn't have one  s:D :D s:D

GSB

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"People always think its about power.  Mostly if you read Max Power.  Its about weight loss and responsiveness.  It makes the engine breath and rev better.

Indeed, in the big scheme of things 3.5 bhp isnt a lot of power, but if I was going to the trouble and expense of fitting a new exhaust, I wouldn't want one that made less power! The benefits of more responsiveness from the engine are difficult to measure, but are well worth having. And the effects of stripping wieght out of the car are obvious.

Slacey

I've got the TTE and love it, looks good and sounds nice when warmed up, but it is expensive, and having seen the Hayward & Scott on GSB's car, I would opt for that one every time now, especially as you can specify the tips.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "WoodenDummy"People always think its about power.  Mostly if you read Max Power.  Its about weight loss and responsiveness.  It makes the engine breath and rev better.

An induction kit will do a lot more to make the engine breathe easier. I installed that first on my Celica and a nice backbox after.

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"The Team Moon adds anything from 3 to 8 bhp, depending upon who you ask...

Actually that range is from 0 to 8hp these days, few ppl dynoed their TM for no power gains. (still saves weight though)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

Quote from: "jag"An induction kit will do a lot more to make the engine breathe easier. I installed that first on my Celica and a nice backbox after.
That's the route I took - Apexi induction then the TTE.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "jag"An induction kit will do a lot more to make the engine breathe easier. I installed that first on my Celica and a nice backbox after.

Cool. With both mods you should notice that any flatspots in the rev range have disappeared, the response is better and the sound is better   s:D :D s:D

Slacey

Quote from: "jag"
Quote from: "Slacey"

Cool. With both mods you should notice that any flatspots in the rev range have disappeared, the response is better and the sound is better   s:D :D s:D
This was noticed (and appreciated) very quickly!   s:D :D s:D

filcee

I still have the stock single exit exhaust on my '03.  Frankly, I might stick with it.  It is starting to sound quite good now I've got a few miles on the car (4k in less than 3 months), and it's starting to crack and bark above 5k rpm.  Niiiice   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Plus, my neighbour just took delivery of his Carrera 4S with sports exhaust - and I can't compete with a flat six. So I won't bother. Harrumph  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

GSB

Until very recently with the PPE design, no-one has been able to better the stock air intake. Getting fresh cold air into the engine bay and air intake of a mid-engine car presents a few more problems than if the engine was in the front like the Celica. Mainly its a problem of aerodynamics. Most aftermarket iduction kits for the MR2 have suffered from increased air intake temperature, which clearly is detrimental to performance. AFAIK the only intake to have confirmed gains is the new PPE, which I believe makes rather a lot of noise. Depends what you're after...

Anonymous

Seans TTE sounds nice - he was in front of me for the Midlands meet and when he pulled away, it sounded very sweet.

Remember, if you got your car from Steven Eagell in MK you should have your voucher book like me to get 10% off all accessories, so that will knock £40 off the price... even i might do it now!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"

Until very recently with the PPE design, no-one has been able to better the stock air intake. Getting fresh cold air into the engine bay and air intake of a mid-engine car presents a few more problems than if the engine was in the front like the Celica. Mainly its a problem of aerodynamics. Most aftermarket iduction kits for the MR2 have suffered from increased air intake temperature, which clearly is detrimental to performance. AFAIK the only intake to have confirmed gains is the new PPE, which I believe makes rather a lot of noise. Depends what you're after...

Good point. What makes the PPE different? Placement?

Slacey

Quote from: "jag"Good point. What makes the PPE different? Placement?
Yeah, the PPE sits behind the battery, to the far left of the compartment, where it is undoubtedly coolest.

markiii

which is where the stock airbox feeds from as well
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

I tested a stock MR2 against one with the TTE exhaust and there seemed to be a real difference.  With the twin pipes the car seems to breathe much better, something the guys from EVO mag also noticed on their long termer.  I haven't regretted having mine fitted.

Anonymous

I have the TTE's as well, its the only one the dealer has fitted to an MR2 as well as the Rear Extensions and they ALWAYS comment on how much "Nippier" it feels and sounds.

Of course its prob all in the mind with those (in my case) bloody noisey beasts shouting away behind me.

PS they are noiser than any aftermarket exhaust i had on my old Astra MK4.

Slacey

So, has all this convinced you yet? It's well worth getting, whether you go for the TTE, H&S or one of the other aftermarket boxes. Let us know what you get, if any.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Slacey"So, has all this convinced you yet? It's well worth getting, whether you go for the TTE, H&S or one of the other aftermarket boxes. Let us know what you get, if any.
Definately. I think the 2's look better with a twin and if they sound great I think it's a must. I hope to check out the TTE and H&S on a meet soon  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: