Don't lose your keys!!...££££

Started by GSB, October 17, 2003, 11:31

GSB

I have somehow mislaid one of my car keys at work, which was a little annyoing as I had to drive home in a pick-up truck the other night...

I have to say its normally unlike me to be quite so daft, and I'm sure it'll turn up eventually... Just in case though, I phoned up Mr T...

Me: How much for a new ignition key for a 2001 MR2?
Mr T: Is it an Import?
Me: Yes, its an EU car.
Mr T: Can't do imports mate, we dont keep the key numbers on file. And besides they (imports) are different.
Me:   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Don't be a plank, it's exactly the same car you sell in your showroom, and I've got the key number.
Mr T: Oh.
Me: How much then?
Mr T: Well, I think you're looking at about £170 + VAT.
Me:   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

And so it goes on... Just for confirmation I phoned up an independant locksmith, who confirmed to me that they are "Obscene mate, dearest keys on the market." Apparently they have to pay £125 + VAT just for the blank keys, and then they have to program them. Rough cost is £180 +VAT for one new key.

Just to add insult to injury, if like me you should lose one of your keys, and then fate were to render your remaining key unusable. Then you would have to replace the ECU as well as fork out for a suite of new keys (and possibly, the locks), at lord knows what sort of cost... Until you've saved up you could always use your grey "slave" key, but you wouldn't be able to lock/unlock your fuel door or glove box, and you wouldnt be able to activate the cars deadlocking.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

Touch wood, I've never lost my car or house keys, and pray to god I never do now!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

SteveJ

And here's the worst bit - the lost key will remain on the alarm and the ECU for ever, so if you think the key may resurface and be traceable to your car, it will be able to start it.

The only way to stop this is to change the ECU

Anonymous

I only had one key when I bought my secondhand MR2. I rang my local dealer (in Coventry) and they charged me £130 inclusive. There was only one problem.....

...my car is an EU import, and the dealer reckons that they cannot supply a key because they cannot marry up the VIN number with a lock number (despite me giving them the number from the key). They told me over the phone that I would have to take the door apart and find the number written of the lock! They also charged me the £130, without supplying the key   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

Simon

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"Apparently they have to pay £125 + VAT just for the blank keys, and then they have to program them. Rough cost is £180 +VAT for one new key.

I made a "dummy" copy of the key a while ago. So that it only works on the locks, but can't start the car...kinda like opposite to the valet key. The subject came up and he said that blank real keys cost about 100 euros (£60, including VAT), but the machine capable of coding them costs a fortune. I believe he mentioned "a few hundred thousand euros".

"Then you would have to replace the ECU"

Meant to ask this earlier, but now that you reminded me...does Apexi PFC have the immobilizer in it? Or is that like saying welcome to thieves.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Peter Wright

You dont get this trouble with Jap imports

Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

GSB

Quote from: "Peter Wright"You dont get this trouble with Jap imports

Pete

Tell that to Rogue, his MR-S was swiped quite some time ago and he had a hell of a time getting the locks and ECU sorted.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peter Wright"You dont get this trouble with Jap imports

Pete

yeah mate went down to the local key cutting shop £5
sorted

GSB

Ha!- you can poke your £170+VAT up yer harris Mr. T, I've found my missing key!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  

Located it in the gravel in a little used area at work, pure fluke really, but its been outside all this time and it still works a treat. Mind you, the keyrings rusted up to hell, so I'll need a new one...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

You lucky......   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Try not to lose it again!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Comer

Nice one.  Consider it a reward for the H&S work  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Tags: