'springy' clutch pedal action

Started by Anonymous, August 23, 2006, 08:49

Anonymous

Hi,

2 weeks into an '04 MR2 Roadster ownership.  One minor annoyance - I find the clutch pedal rather springy - i.e. it seems the large spring which returns the pedal to its resting position to be a bit strong!  This means extra effort on the pedal when using the clutch, noticable when crawling in traffic.

The clutch itself is very smooth and works very well - no untoward noises - its just the effort needed to push it down and more specifically to hold it down (even though holding it down is not a good idea - we all do it from time to time!)

Any ideas?  I have greased the moving parts around the pedal mechanism - seemed to help a bit.

Perhaps it just needs using a bit?  It was used mainly for motorway work before I took over ownership and it was in dealers for a couple of months without moving...

Maybe (it's hydraulic right?) it needs the resevoir topping up although it does seem more like the spring causing this.  Where is the resevoir though - I can see the brake fluid resevoir but not the clutch one.

Cheers.

Tem

Quote from: "adetri"I find the clutch pedal rather springy - i.e. it seems the large spring which returns the pedal to its resting position to be a bit strong!

I think the spring is actually pulling the pedal downward to make it lighter. If you open the clutch line, the pedal stays down once you push it down and there's nothing to pull it back up.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

hmmm... that's interesting.  I wonder why mine seems so heavy (when I read it is normally a light unit to use)....   its not serious - all works smoothly and noiselessly , just doesn't seem right.

Anyone know of any adjustments or maintenance which could be applied?

spit

Quote from: "adetri"Anyone know of any adjustments or maintenance which could be applied?

I don't, but I've asked the same question. Comparing my clutches (both stock and organic) to Gazz's (both stock and organic) my pedal has always been heavy compared to his..... so I'm concluding its the mechanisms outside the bell housing that are causing the difference. This suggests that they could well be tweakable. On Tem's logic that would suggest a stronger pedal spring needed. Maybe?

Just out of interest adetri, are you UK '2 or import MR-S? Mileage?
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

Hi - its 36K miles UK spec.

spit

Hmmm, so heavy clutch isn't just peculiar to high mileage old imports then  s:? :? s:?

I suggest we both wait for a while - I'm sure a really knowledgable club member will come along shortly with an answer.......  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

kanujunkie

my guess would be a buggered thrust bearing, if its damaged then it could make it hard to depress the clutch but on release it could slide back together easily. Either that or the pressure plate is damaged in some manner, just a guess mind you. Best bet, go to Mr.T
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Cheers - yes, I will be mentioning it at the next service (in 6 months), but it is not serious enough to make a special trip.  If it is what you say, hopefully it'll be a warranty job (as car is < 3years old)...  but I suspect it is not (wishful thinking?) due to the smoothness and noisless action of the unit....  although I am no expert on clutches.

Does anyone know if the hydraulic fluid for the clutch every needs attention or topping up?

Tem

Quote from: "adetri"Does anyone know if the hydraulic fluid for the clutch every needs attention or topping up?

Yes and no. It's a sealed system, so if it ever needs topping up, it's leaking and should be fixed. You might wanna change the fluid every now and then though, even if it never sees the extreme temps that brakes do.

Anonymous

Cheers for that info Tem...

I think I'll check the fluid level just in case... do you know - is the resevoir under the pastic cover - near the brake fluid?

Tem

Quote from: "adetri"is the resevoir under the pastic cover - near the brake fluid?

Yes, that's the one.  s8) 8) s8)

(the clutch fluid is also brake fluid though)

Tags: