Flat Battery

Started by Anonymous, October 17, 2003, 14:35

Anonymous

Any one had trouble with their battery? Mine is currently going flat to the point of not turning the starter motor (but not completely flat - alarm clock etc still ok) on a regular basis. It used to happen if I left car in garage for a week if away but now it seems that even 2-3 days without running the engine will leave me having to jump start it. I am guessing there is a short somewhere but am also concidering a new battery to see if that fixes things before an expensive garage bill. Any ideas? Could the Alarm be draining it this much? I've already disconnected a handsfree kit to see if that would help but alas no.

Anonymous

How old is your battery?

Generally speaking, car batteries have a life span of approx. 2 years.

Anonymous

Are you sure its the battery that is actually going flat? There are starting problems that some people have - they get the coils replaced and this sorts it out.... just a thought.

Slacey

Quote from: "lescalder"(but not completely flat - alarm clock etc still ok)
You got an alarm clock?! No fair! I want one!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Battery is original so is now over 3yrs old - I wonder if maybe it has developed a memory (though not sure if car batteries do this) like a laptop battery does after a few years and the colder weather is reducing the power.  Will maybe try a new battery see if that helps - any idea how much? I guess £25 - 30 but looking at the odd size I suspect it will be more.

Anonymous

Car batteries, just like all batteries, eventually run out of juice.

Nothing to do with memory and other misc conspiracy theories.

Anonymous

I once saw a film where they put flat car batteries down to these little monsters call Gremlins.  Check out the roof in your garage for Gremlins.

Honestly - conspiracy theories - I ask you   s:? :? s:?

Peter Wright

I had this promblem   battery going flat while in the garage
I used to leave the key in the ignition
untill a mechanic told me to take the key out

so. do you leave the key in. if so maybe thats the problem dont kow why

Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

zud

I'd get the battery tested at a local garage/kwik-fit/car electrics place.  It should be a simple, and free, two minute check.  

Even if the battery's not the problem, it will probably be the quickest and cheapest problem to confirm or rule out.
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

Anonymous

Just buy the PLOP PLOP tablets for the battery if you dont want to replace it just repalces the cathods stuff back into teh battery !

Oh but you can just upgrade from your halfords and get a better battery which in turn will be safer and better for the car!

GSB

To test for a short circuit, get hold of a current clamp meter and put it round the main positive cables coming out of the battery, with teh car switched off, total current draw should ony be a few milli-Amps (mA). It would take a significant current draw to drain a battery that quickly.

To check Alternator, measur the voltage across tha battery when the car is standing, then start it, the voltage should increase. If not then get it checked by an auto-electrician.

As has already been stated though, by far the most likely cause is a simple knackered battery.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Well - battery it turned out to be! So quick call to local dealer to find out that a new one of same spec as original on 2000 cars will set me back £220 +VAT!!! can you believe it. They can do a toyota supplied equivalent for £50 but even that sounds quite steep. So off to halfords to see what they will charge for one.

Anonymous

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

mph

Deliberately pricing themselves out of the market to avoid hassle?!

Don't forget to compare the weights of batteries, as well as the usual power and price!
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

markiii

original battery will be panasonic Japanese spec. So special order from Japan.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

But wont any normall battery fit in the same place given size etc of teh origninal.

I have a Boch one superratted and Plopped and it's a deep cycle and i got that from halfords!

Anonymous

Quote from: "lescalder"quick call to local dealer to find out that a new one of same spec as original on 2000 cars will set me back £220 +VAT!!! can you believe it.

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Tags: