Shell V-Power.

Started by ChrisGB, August 29, 2006, 23:04

Tem

Quote from: "mg"I did not realise that the higher RON value actually means the petrol burns less easily (to prevent knock).  Learn something new every day...

Wanna learn something new this day too?  s;) ;) s;)

Research Octane Number, which we are using in Europe as the octane, pretty much only tells how knock resistant the fuel is at idle (very light load, small revs). Basically it doesn't say anything about how it behaves under load at higher revs. That's what MON, Motor Octane Number shows, but for some reason we totally ignore it in Europe. Naturally it's a lot lower than a RON number for same gas, so maybe we just like to look at bigger numbers.  s:? :? s:?

In US they are using the average of those two, which tells a lot more about "real life", even though it makes the numbers seem lower. Maybe that explains why 99 octane fuel and 99 octane fuel can behave so different at higher revs under load.  s8) 8) s8)

Of course even the octane numbers are just one fraction of gasolines properties, you can find a lot more numbers on most companies websites. Can't seem to find this in english, but here's the finnish version:
 m http://www.shell.com/static/fi-fi/downl ... _power.pdf m

Now when you compare those against other brands, you'll find some differences that might explain some things.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Liz

My mpg has gone up on the Porker with it, but up here in the country its £1,04 p/litre - ouch - good job I don't do many miles per day now! Runs nice though but will reserve judgement until I have run a full tank.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

ChrisGB

It is not only about Octane rating. A fuel has its resistance to knock properties, which may help improve performance by allowing more ignition advance, or higher compression ratios if you ar really modifying rather than tinkering.

You also need to consider the calorific value of the fuel. Adding methanol helps with the octane rating, but also reduces calorific value of the fuel, the methanol only producing around a third of the energy of petrol. This must have an effect.

Other considerations are the engines suitability for the given fuel. Some engines prefer hot fuels, made from lube crude by product, while others prefer cool fuels made from fuel grade crude. I remember my modified Family II GM engine running significantly better on cheapo fuel, just suited it better.

Whatever, the difference in my car was so obvious that the missus commented on it and she does not even drive!

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"My mpg has gone up on the Porker with it, but up here in the country its £1,04 p/litre - ouch - good job I don't do many miles per day now! Runs nice though but will reserve judgement until I have run a full tank.

Ouch - that's expensive!

I can't speak for V-Power (since I don't pass any Shell garages), but normal UL has dropped from 95-99p/ltr to 92.9p at Sainsbury in Staines.. I was quite shocked.

Then I slapped myself for thinking 92.9 was 'cheap'..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

mg

Quote from: "aaronjb"Ouch - that's expensive!

I can beat that with £1.05/ltr for V-Power...  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
[size=67]2005 Silver | Red Heated Leather | TTE Turbo | TTE exhaust | TTE Lowered Springs | TRD FSB | B&M Short Shift | David\'s Style Bars | Bama Tall Deflector | Red Calipers[/size]

Tem

V-power is only some £1.05-£1.10/l over here and we consider it cheap. Maybe because before that the cheapest equal gasoline was some £2.20-2.30/l.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Just think about the good side, the more gas costs, the less SUVs there are.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Trying V-Power for the first time today at 98.9p per litre. I'm going to see how it performs although I don't really have a choice if it's replacing Optimax my usual choice.

markiii

interestingly nowit's called v-power teh octane number on teh pump has dissapeared  s:-( :-( s:-(
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"interestingly nowit's called v-power the octane number on the pump has dissapeared  s:-( :-( s:-(
Well, according to this, it's 99 octane...  

[...]
"The improved formulation features higher octane (99 RON),"
[...]

As for the stickers, my tiny local Shell has a price of 90p on the pump but when you lift it, the electronic indicator shows ~£1.  And the Texaco garage near my work shows 95RON on their "High Octane" (97RON) pump...

spit

Quote from: "markiii"interestingly nowit's called v-power the octane number on the pump has dissapeared  s:-( :-( s:-(

Cast your mind back to the Optimax thread and you'll see they took the numbers off Optimax at the back end of last year too ... for reasons that are mentioned here. Moot point whether or not the rationale is to be believed.

.... they were a little off in their New Year estimate for launching V-Power though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Maybe the numbers are missing cos they don't make marketing sense: the public majority can relate to the word Ferrari whereas 99 means diddly to 'em.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

aaronjb

Quote from: "spit"99 means diddly to 'em.

99 means a Mr Whippy with a Flake to me....  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

*slaps own wrists*

Still haven't seen a V-Power pump near me - must go looking at some of the other Shell garages..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "DavidM"Trying V-Power for the first time today at 98.9p per litre. I'm going to see how it performs although I don't really have a choice if it's replacing Optimax my usual choice.

Just filled up with V-Power at my local shell (14 miles away!) for 93.9p/l (Regular unleaded is 88.9  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  )

Did I go through a time warp   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I am on my 2nd tank of V-Power now, and petrol price is going down, last week it was 98.9p (91.9p regular) and today it was 96.9p (89.9p regular)

Dewsbury road, Leeds if interested.

Back on to original subject; I think the stuff is great, Im sure there is more of a benefit over even optimax.
More responsive and sure footed under acceleration, much smoother through the rev range, and more power top end, which I always notice when going uphill.
Recommended here!

Peter Laborne

Quote from: "b3ful"petrol price is going down, last week it was 98.9p

I filled up with it last week and I paid 109.9ppl   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

markiii

ah well at leat youhigh paid web designers can afford it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Slacey

Filled up with V-Power last night ready for tomorrow - 96.9p per litre  s:P :P s:P
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Are we all noticing that the differential between standard 95ron and optimax/V-power has increased as prices have fallen!
Originally near me 5p per litre difference now 7p per litre!!!!

roger

IIRC V-power was 1p more than Optimax at our local when it was installed, and 95 RON hadn't moved. Got to pay for the extra RON somewhere   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

heathstimpson

We paid 102.9p / litre on the M6 motorway services on the way home  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I've been running my 2 on Optimax for over a year and a half after I found it improved fuel consumption by 3 or 4 mpg which (I'll let you do the figures) means that its actually cheaper than normal unleaded.

I'm now using V-Power but have only filled up about 3 times and it seems maybe a fraction better possibly another 1mpg. The 2 seems to be getting smoother on it (ECU mapping thing I suppose) so I'm going to stick with it.

Overall fuel consumption was about 36/37mpg on normal, 40 on Optimax and now 41 on V-Power.
And yes I probably don't drive as fast as you all but I was tickling 6500revs in 2nd this morning but we use the 2 for long journeys not your towney stuff, my daily commute being 43 miles round trip.

spit

Heads-up to the Cheshire set: V-power at 90.9p/l in Wilmslow (Hawthorn St).   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Two's Company

I paid 96.9 yesterday   s:( :( s:(

roger

Just out of interest (and I know I could do my own research), but has any body found a direct comparison between the V-power price and the 95 ron advertised price on the front board? Or could it vary from garage to garage?

In other words if 95 is 90.9p (for example), would V-power be 1p more expensive than in a garage advertising 95 at 89.9?

If I'm out and about and I see a lower 95 price than my home garage I usually fill up, but I've never checked to see if I was getting a good deal   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

spit

Quote from: "roger"(and I know I could do my own research)
Let us know when you find out Roger  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Can't say I've noticed a formula for the difference - I'm usually running out of fuel in foreign parts and so grateful to find a Shell garage that I'd fill up whatever the price.  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Interesting that Wilmslow/Alderley Edge have the highest density of millionaires per square mile in Britain but the cheapest fuel for miles around. Maybe that's why they're so rich  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Bongo

Evo said it's a fixed price per litre above 95RON. 7p or 8p i think.

Tags: