Shell V-Power.

Started by ChrisGB, August 29, 2006, 23:04

Anonymous

Is petrol much dearer where you guys are or something? I paid 79.9p per litre at tescos the other week for 95RON (granted that was with 5p off per litre   s8) 8) s8)  )

firepower

i dont know if it was the tank of shell v power that i had just filled up with or the tte turbo that i have had fitted but the boxter s could not remove the image of my 2 from its rear view mirror on sunday  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   , the owner probably phoned porsche today to have the car tuned ( surely a 2 can`t  be keeping up with me ?) Thanks to dave m  for the info on his tte turbo i have had one fitted to my 2 and the extra bhp and torque is fantastic the cars performance is totally transformed with a lot more mid range grunt  s:D :D s:D
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Richie"Is petrol much dearer where you guys are or something? I paid 79.9p per litre at tescos the other week for 95RON (granted that was with 5p off per litre   s8) 8) s8)  )
Around my way its 83.9 for normal unleaded, 87.9 for super unleaded, and 89.9 for diesel  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I've just finished a test of several different fuels with my 03-MR2 (To reffered to as Jessica, for that is her name) and here are my findings

Shell V-Power - POWWWWERRRR! Jess loves V-power, bags of power all the way to 7000 RPM although 330Miles/Tank if driven sensibly, 300 when driven 'like a bastard' to wales from Brighton.
BP Ultimate - Same as Sainsburies Premium, abit dissapointed. 330 Miles/Tank
Sainsburies Premium - Power all the way through to 7000 RPM, 330 Miles/Tank
Sainsburies 95 - Okay till I cross 5200 and then the power seems to flatten out, 320 Miles/Tank
Tesco 99 - About the same as Sainsburies Premium, 330 Miles/Tank
Welsh Sheep-Grade* 95 RON - Not bad actualy, only got a tenners worth as the fuel light was on.

* Bought from then only open staion in Wales on a Sunday, also the world smallest station (one pump and a porto-shed).

Tem

Good post timberwolf, thanks!

How long did you run with every fuel? I'm asking cause I noticed that even a small amount of 98 octane makes the V-Power less resistant to knock than what it actually is. When I was experimenting with these, I run about 50 miles after the fuel light came on and then refilled with the V-Power. It was good, very good, but only the next fillup gave the real advantage of it.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

MRMike

Still not convinced by V power in the slightest. Everytime i switch to Esso super 97 the car feels stronger throughout the vast majority of the rev range.  It's a shame we don't get Tesco 99 around here because I'm adamant that would feel significatnly better than Shell's 'Ferrari fuel for the road...were not really talking about the octane number explicity in any form of media that we could get in trouble for.... fuel.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

enid_b

ok noob question,

does the pre facelift 2' have a knock sensor. ie, if i fork out for super u/l or v power will the car adapt to it.

definitive answers only please, not a 'i fink so'

many thanks

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

aaronjb

Yes it has a knock sensor.

Quote from: "enid_b"definitive answers only please, not a 'i fink so'

I doubt anyone can give you the answer you seek, unless someone here has decoded and extracted the ECU firmware to determine whether or not the knock sensor is only used to retard ignition in unusual circumstances (i.e. it's tuned for 95RON), or whether the ECU is programmed with a very 'optimistic' timing map and the knock sensor is always retarding the ignition back from that under normal circumstances.

Apologies if this answer offends you, as it's not a definitive answer  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

enid_b

u cheeky sausage aaron.

thanks for your very prescriptive answer.

basically the thinking behind my question was... if we do ahve a knock sensor (spotted on spits post) then the car may adjust itself to run more powerfully ? when using premium fuels.  if it doesnt have one then this premium stuff may well be just the placebo effect.

when i have tried it in the past i have not really noticed any difference on my stock car.  however, reading threads on other forums (about petrol WUB) people are reporting increased mpg as a definate by product.

i was just wondering if we didnt have a knock sensor which adjusts to the fuel then i was concerned i might do more harm than good by switching to a premium.

conclusion: think i will start running on super u/l for a while. i still only get approx 300 per tank before i refill.  i have new plugs, new filter, clean oil, clean maf, ecu reset, clean 02 sensors and no precats.  since doing all this maintenance, i have not noticed it travelling further on a tank, although the performance is better.

ramblings over.

E

( i have a poke in the eye waiting for u here aaron,   s8) 8) s8)  )
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Tem

Here's a great test report:
 m http://www.motec.com.au/pdf/fueltest.pdf m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: