Water Leak!

Started by Anonymous, September 5, 2006, 13:14

Anonymous

Seems after heavy rain last nigh I have a leak. Onyl had the MR2 for a few weeks so I'm guessing it was an existing problem.  

Don't think it's related to blocked drains as it appears to be coming in at the front.  I've also got a bit of a roof gap http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12864 but again don't think it's related as it's also at the back of the car.

The water appears to be coming from between the front dash and the door, as far as I can tell nothing is wet above the level of the dash.

I've posted a picture and would appricaite any ideas anyone might have about the source of the leak (red arrow is where the water appears to be coming from).

Thanks

kanujunkie

can you take a picture of the seal where the roof meets the windshield, and some of the main door seal in and around the door hinge point, this may aid diagnosis
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Stu

I'll get the pictures posted as soon as I can.

Ta

normanh

Wow that is strange because that is exactly where my 2 is leaking as well.I only found it for sure a few days ago. I have a service scheduled in early October where I am hopping it can be sorted on the warranty.

normanh

Tem

I had the same and it turned out to be a leaf (or what was left of it anyway) caught inbetween the seal and door. Might wanna check the seals and clean them if you see anything.

Use a garden hose to water the car, so you don't have to wait for the next rain.  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Stu

Here's the photos you asked for, I've done quick compare with the drivers side and they seem the same.  The only think I noticed is what looks like a split in the seal where the roof meets to top of the windscreen,
your can see the dark line of it just above the roof catch and running to the left, but there is an identical split on the drivers side!

Top of windscreen

Side of windscreen

Door seal

kanujunkie

they look fine, what i did notice from looking at mine (and this was by light of a torch  s:? :? s:?  ) is that if you follow the line of the piller down theres a piece of rubber trim that literally stuck to the bodywork, this seems to chanel water along and over the main door seals, make sure thats secure, also ensure that the seals are thoroughly clean as Tem has already said and also it is worth following his advice of useing a hosepipe, its accurate enough then to pinpoint the exact location.

oooh and another place to check is the window seals, water could be coming down the inside of the doors, especially if you've had the speakers replace for after market ones i.e. that damp membrane may have been disturbed
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks for all your advice, looks like a good clean is in order and I'll check for stuck seals.

Let you know if I find anything.

Anonymous

I'd like to offer that if the leak only appears after driving through a rain storm (vice being parked through a rain storm), the problem may be a leaking seal on the firewall.

Check for damp carpet near the center of the footwell.  For example: at the place where the steering column goes through the front firewall.  Or equivalently, the place where the steering bits would be if it was LHD vice RHD - depending on which side is getting wet.  

Might even give a look for wire harness grommets, throttle and brake openings, A/C evaporator hoses, etc., although those seem to be less troublesome.

Anonymous

Only seems to appear when parked, I've driven the really heavy rain without any water coming in.

normanh

Mine seems to leak when parked , same place but not as extensive as the picture. Water seems to collect in a similar fashion arounf the dashboard fuse box. I cant see any problems on the roof seal above the windscreen nor around the door and window seals.

normanh

kanujunkie

i'm starting to wonder if the series of holes in the rubber at the top edge of the a-pillar actually link down through the seal and then drain back into the car before exiting back out again?

still havn't managed to prove this one but the seal is hollow and the water can get in at the top so it must come out somewhere  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "Tem"I had the same and it turned out to be a leaf (or what was left of it anyway) caught inbetween the seal and door.

Just for the record, this only leaked when parked. Never when driving in rain.

So even if there's no visible trash, maybe it's something related to the same seals anyway..?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

i've got the very same leak on my car.

the worry is damage to the fuse box, if you remove the cover from the fuse panel, you'll see water sitting on it.

I removed the A pillar trim the other week and carefully pulled back the rubber seal on the inside of the pillar and the water was there!

looks like it's a failure of the seal around the screen.

Peter Laborne

I've got the same leak. If I lightly pull on the rubber seal where the door meets the A pilar (on the door) I've noticed that it has come away a little. This is allowing water to flow through the gap and into the cabin.

I'm going to clean the area up and then just re-glue it back into place.

Anonymous

when it's leaked in, have a look on the inside of the fuse box cover, if it's wet in there, i can't see how it's a door seal.

Anonymous

FYI- I had a really terrible leak with my MR2 when some heavy rainstorms came to town.  It ended up being one of the Drains in the back of the car.  The tube that is supposed to lead the water out of the car is in two pieces.  The pieces were disconnected allowing water to pour into my car.  I couldn't figure it out at first.  It was very difficult to figure out where it was coming from... So try and pour a small bucket of water down the drains.  If no water comes in through the floor board then I'm not sure.  But that could be the problem....

kanujunkie

dead correct on that, but the leak is at the front of the cabin and the drains your talking about are at the back!
[size=100]Stu[/size]

normanh

Last night we had a major storm here and the car has leaked on both sides. I suspect that the water is running behind the window and tracking down to the floor via the dash on bothsides. I noticed a similar leak on the drivers side when I opened the door , you could see water running along the underside of the seal and at the end of the seal it was dripping down on to the corner of the dash and and the step into the car by the kick panel.

normanh

cool_apple

had the same problem on passenger side. what i found out was when i had running water (hose) on the windscreen. Excess flows down but seen to run inside!! (similar to demonstrated pix)

I dont think water is running from rubber on pillar.  thankfully mine isnt park outdoors all the time. (underground parking)

leon_in_uk

right searched and cant find my unique leak... i know you are all having leaks by the speakers... mine is under my drivers seat... and i have looked everywhere and cant sem to find where its coming from.. do you think maybe the plug is blocked and its going throiugh the seal? help it stinks!!
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

normanh

Reported my leak to main Dealer who looked into for me FOC on the service, he couldnt find anything and car seems ok now I hope. Big problem is the leak if a seal does not seem to be covered on warrenty so his checking it out for me with the warrenty company. it really has to be fixed !!!

normanh

leon_in_uk

sure does, just how old is your car norman?
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

normanh

My cars a May 2001 purchased with the Toyota extended warrent that runs till Feb 2007. I am actually very likely to extend that for the coming year.

normanh

leon_in_uk

guys question!!

if 1 drain hole (drivers side) has been taken out!! (because it came off so i am fixing it with silicone) will water apear on the passanger side behind the seat, the passanger footwell and driver side footwell?

basically my car went in for a new bumper for 3 weeks, and when i had it back there were ouddles in the back behind the seats!! is this from 1 drain hole cover not being in, or something else? also there was alot of water on my inner window and condensation on the inner hood..
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport

Tags: