Problems with the MR2

Started by Anonymous, October 19, 2003, 19:05

Anonymous

I am fortunate to be looking at buying a new car.  After reading the magazines I have come to conclusion that the MR2 is the roadster for me.  However after reading many of the threads regarding problems eg with engines, rattles and alloy wheel problems I am not so sure. Can anyone out there give me some reassurance?

Anonymous

Just buy one!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

If you go to any car forum people will be experiencing problems with their car. The MR2 makes up for everything in the driver enjoyment... im sure you wont be dissapointed. I think if you look at the problems here its just a concentration of everything that a group of people might have - not every car off the production line will have all these problems.

If your looking to buy new then you have a 3 year warranty so if anything goes wrong or your not happy with a rattle that has appeared then take it back and they will fix it.

Go get a test drive sorted and have fun - thats what this car is all about!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Like any car, the Roadster has it's share of problems; however, these are mostly pretty minor, usually cosmetic (rather than major mechanicals), and by-and-large, understood and fixable under warranty. The number of serious, major, faults is litterally a small handful (less than a dozen?) in the UK - nothing compared to the many thousands of Roadsters sold here.

Bear in mind that Toyota/Lexus regularly top various satisfaction and reliability surveys, and the Roadster has been around long enough to not, IMHO, break that tradition. Buy one, and enjoy it...

Tem

Quote from: "Steve"I am fortunate to be looking at buying a new car.

Since you're buying a new car, you shouldn't have to worry about the engine, Toyota has changed the design since the earlier models  s:) :) s:)

And I believe the alloys have a new surface on new models as well..?

No idea if they have changed the desing of the most common rattling parts, but Toyota does have a "noise reduction kit" for the first models, so they know the problem and I'd guess they've done something about it.

Just get one, you will like it  s:) :) s:)  No wait...love it  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "Steve"And I believe the alloys have a new surface on new models as well..?

I can confirm that, after carefully comparing rims of my 2003 with a 2001.

Slacey

A year in, and no problems at all - and I'm not worried either. The good points far outweigh the bad, and with all that I have read I wouldn't hesitate to buy another when the time comes.
Go for it!   s:D :D s:D
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Don't issues with certain aspects put you off. I think the car is great and I have had my fair share of warranty work.

I would say the most important factor to ownership satisfaction is a dealer with a decent after sales service . If you mention your local dealers some peeps here maybe able to give you their feedback.

dimwit

The only thing i can say is that the Toyota Customer Service (head office)is total sh*t, no phone calls back, no letters, no e-mail, the only time we got a reply back from them was when we e-mailed the manageing director. (thanks to peter laborne giving the e-mail adresses out of the chairman/directors).

Anonymous

Quote from: "dimwit"The only thing i can say is that the Toyota Customer Service (head office)is total sh*t, no phone calls back, no letters, no e-mail, the only time we got a reply back from them was when we e-mailed the manageing director. (thanks to peter laborne giving the e-mail adresses out of the chairman/directors).

Thats the same for a lot of big companies, not saying any names... DELL!!!!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Steve"I am fortunate to be looking at buying a new car.  After reading the magazines I have come to conclusion that the MR2 is the roadster for me.  However after reading many of the threads regarding problems eg with engines, rattles and alloy wheel problems I am not so sure. Can anyone out there give me some reassurance?

Well done that man,you have asked the same questions that i had been planning to ask. I have pretty much made up my mind that my next car will be an MR2 rather than an MX5 though. I have been visiting the MX5 club forum recently and it seems that cars from year 2000 onwards have a big problem with clutch judder.One lady had only done 200 miles in her new car when the problem started and it appears Mazda are still selling new cars even though they are aware of the problem.I think i had a lucky escape as when i bought my Civic Type R in May 2002 it was a toss up between that and an MX5.

Geoff.

SteveJ

Quote from: "dimwit"The only thing i can say is that the Toyota Customer Service (head office)is total sh*t, no phone calls back, no letters, no e-mail, the only time we got a reply back from them was when we e-mailed the manageing director. (thanks to peter laborne giving the e-mail adresses out of the chairman/directors).

Interesting..... In all of my dealings with Customer Services, they do seem to call me back (if slightly later than they sometimes agree  s:( :( s:(  ) - the one thing I find difficult to get them to do is make a decision - no-one seems to want to take responsibilty for clearing problems.

Anonymous

I got my silver roadster in Nov 2000 and it has been absolutely perfect, and certainly the nicest car to drive and own I have ever had. It is due its first MOT at 21k miles in the next few weeks, and I have not had anything I would call a fault with the car at all.

I have had a couple of warranty jobs done alongside normal services, alloy wheels replaced due to bubbling (this is sorted on new cars now), new brake disks (only cosmetic rust, but as I knew others were getting these replaced under warranty I did too), and some tiny splits in the roof over the drivers window, so have asked for the hood to be replaced, which is in the process of being done. None of these are what I would call real problems, certainly compared with other cars I have had which have been a nightmare.

I would take a lot of the whines on this forum with a pinch of salt, as the fact that people are so annoyed by the odd rattle and lack of boot space clearly shows there aren't any real problems to complain about.

There have been a couple of people with real problems with the cars, but this is true of any vehicle, so I wouldn't count the MR2 down for this.

The MX5 clutch problem is being corrected by warranty replacements, so whilst I drove the MX5 and IMHO it is not in the same league as the MR2 for handling, I don't think you should make a buying decision on one known fault which is being corrected under warranty anyway.

Anonymous

QuoteI would say the most important factor to ownership satisfaction is a dealer with a decent after sales service . If you mention your local dealers some peeps here maybe able to give you their feedback.

Toyota in Sheffield would be my nearest dealer

Anonymous

10 months in a not a problem yet. <edit> touch wood </edit>

heathstimpson

Bought mine in March this year new and think its the best value new car I have purchased; and I have had quite a few. Like for like I donot think you can beat the 2. The only car that tempts me is a Boxster, but the overall costs are huge. Go for it you won't regret it....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Quote from: "jblackmore"I got my silver roadster in Nov 2000 and it has been absolutely perfect, and certainly the nicest car to drive and own I have ever had. It is due its first MOT at 21k miles in the next few weeks, and I have not had anything I would call a fault with the car at all.

I have had a couple of warranty jobs done alongside normal services, alloy wheels replaced due to bubbling (this is sorted on new cars now), new brake disks (only cosmetic rust, but as I knew others were getting these replaced under warranty I did too), and some tiny splits in the roof over the drivers window, so have asked for the hood to be replaced, which is in the process of being done. None of these are what I would call real problems, certainly compared with other cars I have had which have been a nightmare.

I would take a lot of the whines on this forum with a pinch of salt, as the fact that people are so annoyed by the odd rattle and lack of boot space clearly shows there aren't any real problems to complain about.

There have been a couple of people with real problems with the cars, but this is true of any vehicle, so I wouldn't count the MR2 down for this.

The MX5 clutch problem is being corrected by warranty replacements, so whilst I drove the MX5 and IMHO it is not in the same league as the MR2 for handling, I don't think you should make a buying decision on one known fault which is being corrected under warranty anyway.

I've had a look on the MX5 forum again and you are right in saying that clutches are being replaced under warranty.However,this appears to only be a temporary cure as it seems that a total cure involves replacement of the fly wheel also,which Mazda won't do under warranty.There are some very unhappy bunnies on that forum.

Geoff.

Tags: