Yet another incompetent dealer...

Started by Anonymous, September 9, 2006, 14:06

Anonymous

How cool is this:  I am using the dealer's internet connection to complain about them while waiting for my car.

The dealer in question is Inchcape Guildford.  So far:

- The receptionist (or fat bitch, according to my politicaly incorrect better half) was extremely rude when I asked if the car was ready; she also informed me that servicing had to pause because the mechanic had his lunch break half way through the servicing.
- I have also been informed that I can not possibly speak to the mechanic because I am not insured.  What the hell does that mean?  And "you don't need to speak to the mechanic; he will make a note if there is something wrong with the car".
- I have been here since 08:30 and the car is still not ready.  They charge £90 per hour...

Rant over, thanks for listening.

Anonymous

You should be on a fixed rate service, i would recommend RCS900 in Slough for your next service. It may be further but they are polite, keep you informed and do fixed price.

Anonymous

I finally got the car (at 14:30).  A few things:

- They charged me screenwash even though it was full.  "It's part of the service sir".

- They asked me if I wanted to have the air-conditioning serviced for £199(!).  My car doesn't have air-conditioning.

- It failed the MOT because one of the break bulbs was burned.  They changed it without asking me first; I would have told them to change both, as I always do.  Minor inconvenience but annoying nevertheless.

- They found an oil leak from the timming chain tensioner.  Did they seal it?  Of course not; why fix it while the car is already up on the ramp when you can ask the customer to come again?  It would have taken them 10 minutes damn it.  Now it's going to cost me at least one hour's labour + another wasted day.

Wait, there's more: they told me I can continue driving for another six months before the leak becomes a problem.  IT'S BLOODY LEAKING ALREADY!  Apparently, I will be OK if I check the oil level every few days and top it up every so often.  Oh, OK then.

I don't know; am I being irrational?  Is this acceptable level of service?  Total cost £427.94 including MOT of which £308.35 was labour...

Thanks Peter_MK3, I will give them a try for the leak.  I pass by Slough twice a day anyway.

Edit: Does anyone know what "OPARK PLUG" is?  I am assuming misspelled "spark plug"...

Draggon

That sounds like really bad service....reminds me of the Alfa Romeo Garage we used to go too  s:( :( s:(

if its a Toyota Garage i would write too Toyota Gb and complain etc
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

roger

Thats a lot to pay just for a Service if thats all they did.

My 20K from Inchcape Oxford was £207 all  in, and I thought that was expensive !
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Chris_h

I always get the 'all in' price up front and tell them not to do any extra work without contacting me.

I did have a heated discussion once when I refused to pay for brake pads that I had not authorised - I got away with it too  s:D :D s:D
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Liz

Hope you got your club discount from them as well...aren't Inchcape part of a massive group of them....find out which one is the head honcho and write to them.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

davidhowson

Sadly, this is the treatment you get from the big PLC's; Inchape are the only big "name" Toyota have as delaers, the rest are smaller, usually owner managed -the reason? Because (generally) the give better service.
My 20k service cost closer to £100 from William A Lewis in Shrewsbury plus they organised new wheels and exhaust under warranty without even troubling me! Excellent.

Anonymous

Yea I went to William Lewis in Shrewsbury for my 80k service and they were fine.
Think it cost just over £200 and was done by the time I'd been up town and got back. - also checked it over for any little faults as I'd explained I'd just bought it.

PET3R

mazda serivicing is the best (not talking bout an mx-5, didnt own it long enough!!) you just ring up and say what car, and then 1st serivce/2nd etc. then they just tell you the price, the last time we had the mazda 6 done before we got the xtype it was only £106 all in!

Anonymous

I'm always surprised at the variation in quality of service at toyota dealerships, but it does seem to be directly related to whether its owned by a large franchised group or whether the owners are a single entity.

For instance, helensburgh toyota: Provide me with a FOC courtesy car when I ask (and they are insured too!), have much lower labour rates, are always friendly and straight talking, never quibble with warranty work and are polite & courteus. They will even perform diagnostic checks (e.g. reading CEL's) free of charge.

on the other hand, Linwood toyota are owned by arnold clark and are rude, arrogant, unfriendly, expensive, have a poor quality of service and generally have no interest. furthermore, they also charge about £90 /hour labour and pay their mechanics about £12 an hour if they're lucky!

All opinions expressed are my own and not those of mr2-roc

StephenBennett

Quote from: "Draggon"if its a Toyota Garage i would write too Toyota Gb and complain etc

I was treated appallingly by a dealer in Bootle (not mine in Norfolk - they have been splendid) and complained to Toyota GB. They told me that the behaviour of dealers was not their problem.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

After many letters to and fro, nothing but an 'I'm sorry but.....'

Regards

Stephen

Anonymous

I am contemplating writing a letter to Toyota GB telling them about the leak and asking who will pick up the bill if the engine goes.  After all, they told me I can drive for 6 months after the leak was discovered...

Quote from: "StephenBennett"I was treated appallingly by a dealer in Bootle (not mine in Norfolk - they have been splendid) and complained to Toyota GB. They told me that the behaviour of dealers was not their problem.
I find that very surprising since the dealer is the "face" of the company.  I am sure it would be their problem if I asked them to pick up the bill of a damaged engine.  And to be honest, I couldn't care less who the franchiser is.  All I know is that I went to a "Toyota garage".  Not interested who owns what, that's Toyota's problem.

The other thing I forgot to mention was that I asked for a quotation for a dent and they directed me to Inchcape Ford; "we don't have a body shop sir, try Ford next door".  Surely, they should have suggested another Toyota dealer...

P.S. Liz, I had no idea of a club discount...

StephenBennett

Quote from: "Emmanuel"
Quote from: "StephenBennett"I was treated appallingly by a dealer in Bootle (not mine in Norfolk - they have been splendid) and complained to Toyota GB. They told me that the behaviour of dealers was not their problem.
I find that very surprising since the dealer is the "face" of the company.  I am sure it would be their problem if I asked them to pick up the bill of a damaged engine.  And to be honest, I couldn't care less who the franchiser is.  All I know is that I went to a "Toyota garage".  Not interested who owns what, that's Toyota's problem.

You're not the only one. I've written 4 letters to Toyota GB with the same, 'coudn't care less' results. The problem I had was potentially life threatening too, but again, it was a case of 'not our problem, mate'

Regards

Stephen

Tags: