I got another noise!!!!

Started by Anonymous, October 20, 2003, 17:38

Anonymous

Sitting in the car listening to the radio (as I am prone to do when there is some interesting footy thing on or something), when I got back from work, I turned the radio off, revved the engine slightly to try and hear the "ticking" noise that I have reported on the other thread and I heard a "gurgling" coming from behind the dash!!!! I thought I was hearing things, so I did it again and the gurgling happened again!!! 4-5 times later and it wasn't going away. Only when I revved the engine did I hear this.....

PLEASE don't tell me my air con is buggered!!! If not, what is that noise and does it mean something bad?

Now its out of warranty, I really AM getting paranoid now...............  s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Help!!!!!

Oh yeah, also, just worked out my MPH on that lovely calculator website that someone posted here a little while ago. Just under 32 mph. Not that good is it? I should be getting more 35-36+ shouldn't I?

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Oh yeah, also, just worked out my MPH on that lovely calculator website that someone posted here a little while ago. Just under 32 mph. Not that good is it? I should be getting more 35-36+ shouldn't I?

I ususally get 35-37mpg... but I think a lot depends on how you drive it and where.  When you're not thrashing it, what RPM do you change up at?  Do you normally have the aircon on? What sort of roads are they (lots of stop start or lots of cruising)?

Anonymous

Air con rarely goes on and I am usually changing about, I guess, 3500rpm maybe? Nothing hard.........its weird, cos when I worked out the mpg last time I filled up, it was more like the 35-36mpg I think it should be.....

Perhaps this is just a blip, but will keep an eye on it.

Anyone any ideas on the gurgling noise?  s:? :? s:?

SteveJ

Gurgling noisy is an easy one - there is probably air trapped in the heater matrix, so when you rev the engine, the water flow increases, mixing the air up with the water, producing the gurgling noise.

Next problem?

Anonymous

Cheers for that Steve. Thing is, is it a bad thing and will it be a problem. Also, is this easy to get out? I know that air locks in the system were an absolute bitch to get out of my Mk1.........

juansolo

Mine does it (no air con).  As mentioned above it sounds like there's air in the cooling system somewhere.  As I have no temperature issues and my  heater works well enough, I CBA to sort it out.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Fair enough then. Will worry about it when it does become a problem!!!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Air in the cooling system is a big problem, as it prevents the engine cooling system working efficiently which is a bad thing.

There are bleed valves around the place to release the trapped air, but unless you have just had part of your cooling system replaced, the air should not have got in there.

Air gets in through leaks, holes in matrix/rad or head gasket problems, so best get it sorted pronto, as it is not going to go away.

James.

Anonymous

Kinda what I thought as the sounds in my Mk1 were deemed to be fairly fatal over a long term. Mind you, since I posted, I haven't heard anything, so I don't know what to do about it. I am also not the only person to report this, so is it a generic thing or is it a problem on more cars than we think?

Going to give the car a complete check over tonight and see if she OK. Will report back on the noise, if it is still there.............

juansolo

Air can work it's way out (to the expasion tank).  FWIW, mine appears to have stopped also.

Air in the system can be an issue, certainly if it's a lot.  You would almost certainly notice an increase in running temperature to the point that it overheats in the most extreme case.

Bleeding cooling systems can be a real PITA.  The simpler it is the better.  It's another reason I ditched the heater in the Westie.  That and with a oil tank in the passenger footwell, heating really isn't an issue!
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Yeah, tell me about the bloody syetem bleeding.....did enough of it on my Mk1!!!

I do worry slightly that "hot spots" can occur around the engine block and cause damage that way where there is no water circulating. I will continue to keep an eye on this..............  s:? :? s:?

Tags: