Started by Anonymous, September 15, 2006, 07:04

markiii

done

carry on
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Thanks Mark

So when you floor it the system is too busy to use readings from the sensors and just uses the maps its preprogrammed with? Yes

But are these maps formed from information gained when the system is closed loop or are they stand alone maps?

The reason I ask is if they are formed from data gained when closed loop surely they cannot be as effective as they should.

GSB

Have a read of this kj. its a good explanation of whats going on...

m http://gsb.bulldoghome.com/pages/gsb_bu ... edloop.pdf m
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I got Homework!!

Thanks Gsb, I gotta read this carefully, I'm don't normally have to "read by finger" but I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"in which case simply buy the PPE and have an exhaust shop weld you 2 02 bungs in the primary runners high up liekon the TTET

based on Grants explanation thats gives you the best of both worlds, assuming you can live with the flexi joint

Based on what's been said I do wonder why PPE in all their wisdom only used one 02 sensor bung?

GSB

Quote from: "simonp"
Quote from: "markiii"in which case simply buy the PPE and have an exhaust shop weld you 2 02 bungs in the primary runners high up liekon the TTET

based on Grants explanation thats gives you the best of both worlds, assuming you can live with the flexi joint

Based on what's been said I do wonder why PPE in all their wisdom only used one 02 sensor bung?

Because its easy, or perhaps they just didn't put the same amount of thought  and discussion into it that we are...

Automotive engines, whilst still retaining the simplistic "Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow" operation they taught everyone in college, have moved on in leaps and bounds in terms of the technology that is used not so much to get them running, but to make them run clean. Without an understanding of all these different processes running in the background, we dont stand a chance of changing things tomake the engine better suit our needs without buggering something else up.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

cheers Grant,

I'm off to trawl spyderchat now.

BTW - If you were buying an aftermarket manifold what would you go for?

Bear in mind I'm buying a)to get shot of precats and b) to release some horses but that c)I can't afford the £700 odd quid or more for TRD.

Chris

so it would seem from this then that a replacement manifold should ideally have 2 o2 sensors so it can better replace the stock setup.  Looking at the pic from the one linked on ebay shows that has 2 holes just where the 2 pipes go down to 1 (presumably for the o2s) so things are looking up for this option - anyone have any experiance of it? build quality? seller?
Quote from: "simonp"Bear in mind I'm buying a)to get shot of precats and b) to release some horses but that c)I can't afford the £700 odd quid or more for TRD.
My exact reasons for thinking about buying an aftermarket manifold as well, but...
Quote from: "GSB"...we dont stand a chance of changing things tomake the engine better suit our needs without buggering something else up.
My major worry is that after all the hassle and expense, i'll end up with a system worse than before..  Maybe I should stop thinking/worrying about it so much and just wop the credit card out - got you lot are a bad influence!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

I love my PPE but if I were starting again I'd just gut the pre-cats and leave it at that. It's too loud   s:( :( s:(  .... any kind of throttle and people know about it. I think if I lived in the country it would be different but in London it's too much. It's draws so much attention..... the pops, bangs, metallic rasp. So many chavs decide to race me   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   Also on the motorway it saps your strength. Long journeys really tire me out. 99% of the time I wish I just gutted the precats...... that 1% though, when you floor it going through a tunnel..... wow  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  .... makes you feel a little orgasm   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Note: with just the PPE header it might be ok. I have the de-cat pipe and the H&S exhaust so that all makes it worse.

dieamond

you should have kept a hi flo cat
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Tem

Theories aside, I had the PPE before going turbo (actually still have it) and I liked it a lot. Never had any issues with it, none related to single O2, none related to lack of bracing and none related to the flexi joint. I might've missed something, but I don't recall hearing of these from others either?  s:? :? s:?  One O2 seems to do the job just fine. Actually some manifolds that have a place for two O2's near each other have been giving people issues and they have converted to single O2 sensor as well and just plugged the other place.  s8) 8) s8)  My Top Secret turbo manifold is one of those.

Powerwise, my butt dyno is pretty insensitive and I never notice small changes. I do notice a change with this. And my datalogs and laptimes back that up. So does this dyno:
 m http://www.ppeengineering.com/assets/im ... dpdyno.JPG m
(PPE with no cat against stock, not just the manifold, more dynos on their site)

Not much down there, some +10hp at peak and a massive +20hp at revlimit. If that isn't impressive for some N/A piping, I don't know what is.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

With the stock header I never seemed to get much power increase even with a VERY free flowing system. But the PPE really makes it come alive. My system used to be a PPE header and just a hiflow seethrough muffler. No cat, just two 90 degree curves and that's it. I don't have any official dynos and I don't feel confident enough to post the DatalogLab dynos, so I won't mention my supposed pwoer increase out loud. But I think the PPE is very well worth it, if you don't mind the noise. It does make plenty of it. Probably less with good muffling though, but I think you really need a good flow to make this header come alive.

I also had Paul@PPE make me a custom catpipe, which just exits right after the cat (=no muffler) to have a legal ride on the streets.  s8) 8) s8)

I have zero experience about other N/A manifolds though. I've only had the stock, decatted stock and PPE.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: