Whistle/whurring in 6th

Started by Ross_Curtis, September 16, 2006, 16:30

Ross_Curtis

I have a 54 plate and have notice that when in 6th at just over 2K revs there is an odd whistling noise, its only in 6th and at this rev's.  As revs climb upto 2.5K it gets louder and as it rises above it dissapears.  Any idea's?

Thanks

darrenjuggins

How many miles you covered?

The reason I ask, is my 2000, with a 5 speed box has suffered bearing failure, well they started whiring and the garage instantly said, ah yes sir, you had the gear box changed yet ? I said.... err no and with that they booked it in and replaced the bearings.

Mine had done approx 90k, apparently if it had been in the same box in the avensis, it would have had two replacements by now! doh !

worth a trip to Mr T's for investigation, plus you should be still under 3 year warranty ?

If not, the cost came to approx £700 for labour and bearing replacement.

Cheers

Darren J

PS it didn't drive any differently, just made the whiring noise.
Darren A. Juggins

Ross_Curtis

Hi Darren,

The car is still under warranty, in fact it has a year remaining so I will keep a close eye on it over the next few months and when its next service is due get it looked at.

Thanks.

roger

Definitely from the engine bay?

Might sound stupid but could it be the wind on the radio aerial? That makes a "whistle". You would hear it more in 6th at low revs because of low engine noise.

At least you could experiment by putting it up and down at the appropriate time.

I've put one of those SC bee sting aerials on. What  a difference it makes   s:D :D s:D  when you can get the station you are after   s:? :? s:?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: