3000 road miles on brand new discs and pads and they're gone

Started by Anonymous, September 17, 2006, 13:11

Anonymous

Is this what I am going to have to put up with on the '2?

17000 miles on the clock and my front pads and discs were well and truley in need of being replaced.........

They had gotten to a state where is became fairly urgent for them to be replaced so I took them into Quickfit. £171.00 later I had new discs and pads on.

3000 miles of road driving, (a little brisker at the weekend) and they're gone again   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

That's pants imo.

So I am in the market for pads (and no doubt discs) again, what do I do, get them booked in or have a go and fitting them myself? Am I doomed to change them every 3000 miles as well, if I am then the '2s going.

Cheers

walkie

Anonymous

By way of comparison, I'm 32000 miles in on the original discs. There is no way that you should need to replace them at 3000 miles unless something else is seriously amiss. But if that were the case (distorted discs or whatever) then you would have felt this in the way the car drove / braked. I think I would have a word with Mr Quickfit??

Tem

Quote from: "walkie"I took them into Quickfit. £171.00 later I had new discs and pads on.

Did you get the stock stuff, or some cheapos?  s:? :? s:?

The stocks should be good for a lot longer, no matter how aggressively you drive.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

3000 miles - that is ridiculous and certainly not normal even if you were braking heavily on occasion (as you often would in a car like the mr2)
I'd be straight back to QF.

are the pads/discs completely worn or is it another problem?
Are you sure they didn't pull a fast one and leave the old ones on!

Anonymous

I'm getting my discs replaced under warranty soon due some corrosion appearing, but that's by-the-by really.  The fact remains that the original discs and pads are still working well with plenty of meat left of them - and this is after 37000 miles (so, thats over 12 times longer than the ones you had fitted).   I think you should go back to Kwik-fit - 3000 miles doesn't sound acceptable to me.  

Good luck - I think you have been rather unlucky here.  Do you have any pics of the state of the discs/pads after their 3000 miles?

mr2mark

Yep surely sounds like youve been quickly fitted up alright !!! Change them yourself and you will know they have definatley been done ..... then you will see how long they really last .... (not to mention the 100 or so quid you'll save).........

Leeber

If you do a search on here I'm sure that there's a post with pics explaining how to change the discs & pads, it's really not that difficult. In fact it helped me when I had to do the discs on my other half's Focus. Ford wanted £180 to stick a new pair of rear discs on the car, the discs and pads cost me about £45 from  m http://www.braking.co.uk/ m  . I spent £75 on a good quality trolley jack and some axle stands and still managed to save a wad of cash in the process. She'd had the front ones done by thick-fit about a year before and they don't seem to be fairing that well either, if only we'd known then how much easier and cheaper it would've been to do it ourselves.
You could put some of the money you save towards a set of Black Diamond pads, (which I can heartily recommend).   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

fstsven

I feel like I have to jump in here...
My car is used every day, in all weathers, and I have a *cough* "brisk" driving style; my car has 60000 miles on the clock and (I can hardly believe it myself   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ) it's got the exact same pads and discs on it as the day it left the factory... Go figure    s8) 8) s8)  
Mind you, they are wearing a bit thin now    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2004 fire red TOYOTA MR
K&N air filter
BLUEFLAME single exhaust
APEX progressive rate springs (-30mm)
3.ORACING breastplate
TOYO proxes R1R 205/50/15(f)-225/45/16(r)
25 kgs extra lightness

spit

Quote from: "fstsven"I feel like I have to jump in here...
My car is used every day, in all weathers, and I have a *cough* "brisk" driving style; my car has 60000 miles on the clock and (I can hardly believe it myself   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  ) it's got the exact same pads and discs on it as the day it left the factory... Go figure    s8) 8) s8)  
Mind you, they are wearing a bit thin now    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

I can trump that   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

87,000 and counting. I've been carrying new pads around for a year now, but they're still in their box. Deviating from a service schedule isn't particularly clever, so i know many of you will frown on this .... but it just goes to show .... something  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

aaronjb

Quote from: "spit"Deviating from a service schedule isn't particularly clever, so i know many of you will frown on this .... but it just goes to show .... something  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I'm not sure there's a quoted schedule for the pads beyond "inspection" anyway Ste  s;) ;) s;)

So if they're not squealing like a stuck pig they're fine (unless the inside surface of your disks has disintegrated, of course)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

a word of wearning to the high mileage guys.
I thought my pads were ok becasue they had 5mm material still on them, but the friction material separated from the backing pad on one of the inside pads causing a hell of a lot of noise, and damage to the disc.

The original Mr T backing steel had rusted causing the friction material to break away.

mrsmr2

After 21k and three track days, pads were getting low but the discs had plenty of life.  Discs were changed under warranty due to some corrosion so I don't know the ultimate life but I would expect pads to last 25k of enthustiastic driving and the discs a lot longer.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

spit

Quote from: "spit"87,000 and counting.

Final score: 90,150 miles

The front n/s inner pad is now cabbaged  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Still, got me money's worth  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

rtbiscuit

my brakes squeel all the time, but have material left on them.

i though this was down to the fact that they are sports brakes, and made of a harder material that will squeel on occassion over time.

am i wrong, and should i replace them.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

spit

Well, don't do what I did and assume that if the outer visible pad looks OK then the inner one will be close to it in terms of wear  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Miles of difference between them!

Squeaking might be a shims thing - cured with some Coppaslip. Worn pads are going to sound more grungey than squeaky.

rtbiscuit

i was pretty sure of that,

did it on my first car.

went from having to replace just the pads to doing disks as well cos i scored them.

and then to take the mick, when i was replacing them DIY stylie, the calipers had seized and had to do them as well.

just at the end of uni, no money, missed my mates 21st in wales.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

aaronjb

Quote from: "spit"Final score: 90,150 miles

Granddad  s;) ;) s;)

And yes - the inner pad wears more, it's a function of having sliding single piston calipers (the majority of the force is applied directly to the inner pad by the piston, the outer pad pulled onto the disk by the piston moving away from the disk as a kind of reflex action).

Cheap mass produced tat, you see  s;) ;) s;)  (That works rather well, fortunately!)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: