Do they grow old gracefully?..... I am getting worried!

Started by Anonymous, September 22, 2006, 13:05

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jaso"Anyway i've spent 1K on a 12K 05 engine and it will cost me another 600 to have it fitted. There also the fact that the main cat might have gone to the amount of burnt oil going through it. I wont know that until i get an emissions test on the new engine once installed.

If your old engine died because of pre-cat failure then you WILL need a new main cat. If it was through other issues and I've missed that thread, then ignore me  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Nope - cats were removed in Feb  - they were fine.

Anonymous

Come on guys and gals!   buy an MGF and your forever wondering if the head gasket will blow, buy a Saab 9-3 /9-5 and your forever wondering when the crankcase ventilation will cause the engine to blow, buy a Clio / Peugeot, or whatever and your worried about when the cambelt will go, and if they changed it, did they do the tensioner and water pump at the same time?  Frankly, if your this worried, then buy new, change it every year and stand the depreciation, or pay the exorbitant  price for the warranty. Good old Perato got it right with his 80 / 20 rule - most people will have no more problems running an mr2 than any other car IMHO.[/quote]

Anonymous

Quoting Honest John :

Complaints of pre-cat in exhaust manifold breaking up and debris being sucked into engine. Caused by "excessive acceleration - deceleration when the engine is cold causing vibration of the manifold and the cat matrix moving in its holding mat, then breaking up. Holding mat improved from October 2001, VIN ...0043748. For older cars, new manifold available and some possibility of goodwill from Toyota towards the cost.
If an early car make sure it has the improved cat converter manifold

!!

FWIW - an OIL warm up cycle can take a good 30mins - don't go by the 10min water temp.

roger

Quote from: "flynnstudio"Quoting Honest John :

Complaints of pre-cat in exhaust manifold breaking up and debris being sucked into engine. Caused by "excessive acceleration - deceleration when the engine is cold causing vibration of the manifold and the cat matrix moving in its holding mat, then breaking up. Holding mat improved from October 2001, VIN ...0043748. For older cars, new manifold available and some possibility of goodwill from Toyota towards the cost.

!!

FWIW - an OIL warm up cycle can take a good 30mins - don't go by the 10min water temp.

Been around for some time..... here's a post supposedly initiated it. Where HJ got the info from, not sure.

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=58589#58589
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

red_leicester

Quote from: "flynnstudio"an OIL warm up cycle can take a good 30mins - don't go by the 10min water temp.

It only takes 20 mins to get to work!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

roger

Quote from: "flynnstudio"Quoting Honest John :

!!

Been around for some time..... here's a post (the first on the thresd) supposedly initiated it. Where HJ got the info from, not sure.

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=58589#58589
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

kanujunkie

Quote from: "flynnstudio"If an early car make sure it has the improved cat converter manifold

and it still wont stop it, we have many cases of that.

as for the oil warmup cycle bit, if you inspect the engine you'll find that oil temp and water temp are directly linked on our engine as they directly share heat through the oil cooler that sits above the filter. Mark and myself have been discussing wether this is an oil cooler at all and rather an oil warmer for faster oil warmup in colder climates.
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "flynnstudio"If an early car make sure it has the improved cat converter manifold

and it still wont stop it, we have many cases of that.

as for the oil warmup cycle bit, if you inspect the engine you'll find that oil temp and water temp are directly linked on our engine as they directly share heat through the oil cooler that sits above the filter. Mark and myself have been discussing wether this is an oil cooler at all and rather an oil warmer for faster oil warmup in colder climates.

mmh...interesting...good info - cheers...so I don't have to wait 'that' long before I dare risk driving above 4K!!!

Sounds like I'd better get a workshop manual so I understand the nature of this thing...

Sounds like you guys have been through the mill over and over again with this..

kanujunkie

Quote from: "flynnstudio"Sounds like I'd better get a workshop manual so I understand the nature of this thing...

Mr.T's BGB book which you can get through MR2DC or Mr.T directly is really good, pretty much breaks down any job on the car, worth getting the wiring one as well

Quote from: "flynnstudio"Sounds like you guys have been through the mill over and over again with this..

eeeeeerrrr, yeah, you could say that  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

BGB will do!

thanks.

Tags: