Acceleration pick up

Started by ChrisHumes, September 28, 2006, 12:40

ChrisHumes

Is everyones car slow to pick up when you put the accelerator down? is there a way to improve this?

Anonymous

Depends on the gear and speed/rpm I guess.  Not noticed it being particularly tardy though - seems to pick up well in most situations.

Jigwar

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"Is everyones car slow to pick up when you put the accelerator down? is there a way to improve this?

I've been surprised by the RPMs that some people speak about going up to when accelerating, but am beginning to get the idea why now......

.....If I'm sitting behind another car and we're both waiting for a 60mph lorry to move out of the way ahead, then when we can accelerate most cars will go away from me because I'm in 5th and pick up is quite slow. But if i'm at the head of the queue and the way becomes clear then pop it into 4th and pick up is a lot better, right up to 80+.

Not sure I'd change down at 70, but I'm sure some people do and I think you've got to have those revs up to get good acceleration.

Steve
Jigwar
Past: \'51 plate
Present: \'06 plate TTET\'ed

roger

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"Is everyones car slow to pick up when you put the accelerator down? is there a way to improve this?

Change down or fit a Turbo.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Presumably you are not thinking you have a problem - like a blocked Cat?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

aaronjb

Quote from: "Jigwar".....If I'm sitting behind another car and we're both waiting for a 60mph lorry to move out of the way ahead, then when we can accelerate most cars will go away from me because I'm in 5th and pick up is quite slow. But if i'm at the head of the queue and the way becomes clear then pop it into 4th and pick up is a lot better, right up to 80+.

Hell, I'd be going into 3rd at that speed I think!

Use the revs & gears, that's what they're there for  s;) ;) s;)  If you want good pick up you want to be starting off over 3000rpm for sure, closer to 4000rpm really..

If you haven't seen the limiter at least once, you're not trying hard enough  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

The 2 I quite happily take to 6k revs.... she likes it  :-) :-) :-)

In the Celica - its not until you hit the 6k revs that the 'Lift' from the VVTL-i actually kicks in, and gives you that little boost  :-) :-) :-)

Oh, and the Type R - mad at around 7.5k revs !!!  :-) :-) :-)

The Megane is not worth mentioning  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

These cars do need 'working' to get the best out of them, they are far from sluggish but you cant sit back and expect the power to be on tap as you would with a larger engine.

as said, change down, dont let the revs drop and they can be very rewarding.    s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

if you hit the limiter are you causing any damage? or is that what it's there for  s:idea: :idea: s:idea:  

does everyone elses car judder when you hit the limiter?

( yes i am a filthy noob  s:( :( s:(  )

markiii

when you hit teh limiter it cuts fuel

thats why it judders
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

red_leicester

Quote from: "aaronjb"Hell, I'd be going into 3rd at that speed I think!

Agreed!  For decent acceleration at 70 you need to be in third.  Should get you up to 90 in no time   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:D :D s:D
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

In my previous car ie pre-facelift I frequently dropped into 3rd from 5th at 70/75mph for some quick acceleration up to about 90. The H&S exhaust sounded great also.

With the 6-speed I find dropping into 5th doesn't have enough punch so 4th is better. Besides, the FREE increased sound without the air inlet pipe is also better.

Anonymous

I'm not surprised: 1st-5th is the same in both pre and post facelift cars  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

red_leicester

Funnily enough, only this morning I was playing about a bit and drove at around 6000 rpm in second for a while along a quietish road.  Just to get the juices flowing (in the engine, not mine) for a while after a few miles of traffic.

It reminded me how eager and 'sound' this engine feels right up at 6000 rpm.  Kind of like a large Jap motorbike engine.  (And nothing like my old Alfa 147 which felt as though it was going to explode into thousands of pieces if you held it at 6000 rpm!)

I think it's a great motor, and is happy to be pushed right up the redline.
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

ChrisHumes

i think thats my problem, i change up too soon. i will try to change my driving style. since i put the H&S and the apexi on, it sounds that your at higher revs and a lot louder (obviously) so I tend to change up.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"i think thats my problem, i change up too soon. i will try to change my driving style. since i put the H&S and the apexi on, it sounds that your at higher revs and a lot louder (obviously) so I tend to change up.

I know just what you mean - I'm the same - 'sympathetic driving' I think it's called!!

I think we must all be at least over 30 in this thread -  I bet nobody under 25 would be having this problem!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

At 18 I was mercilessly thrashing the pants off every car I had!

Anonymous

I may be a young scaliwag at 25 but it does amaze me that some people buy a car like this and then never see the noisy side of 6krpm.

I recall someone coming on here and saying how he was getting 43mpg because he was careful not to go above 4.5k and stuck to 60-70mph on the motorway.
While I'm not condoning excessive speed, I find these comments depressing. I guess on a sunny day the MR2 is a nice car to gently cruise around in, but driving like this you will only ever experience 20% of the fun you can have with this car.

The MR2 is a SPORTS car. It is designed to be driven at speed and on the powerband. Provided it is serviced regularly with good quality lubricant and warmed up gently I see absolutely no problem in this.
Personally I keep below 4k until she's warm. After this and on a country road blast I try and keep my rev's around 4k-5k as this seems to be the most responsive range. There's no point aiming for the limiter each time you floor it though as by that time you are past the peak of the power curve anyway. Oh and the noise - wonderful, it's like Jackell and Hyde compared to it's sedate self on my motorway commute.

For God sake everyone - drive the car as you know she wants to be driven!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Well put!

I hate to see people afraid to use the gearbox for its purposes! I'm no racing driver, I have virtually zero skill levels compared to others on this forum I'm sure, but the vvti engine (when properly warmed up) responds best at revs in the 4-5 range. It's not about excessive speed either. If you want to drive at 100mph down a motorway there are far better cars than an MR2 for the purpose. Get it on twisty roads, keep the revs at a decent level, and dive in and out of those bends like there's no tomorrow. That's where the fun is.

Of course, I say all this but at the moment it's still theoretical. My one and only drive of the car (so far) was in stop-start rush hour traffic. I think I got it into 3rd gear at one point...

Si

PS I'm also just the wrong side of 30. Just!

spit

Quote from: "Diapason"I'm also just the wrong side of 30.

Is there a wrong side? No-one told me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Sympathetic driving - I like that term.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Wabbitkilla

Sympathy is like many things relative.

One persons sympathetic driving may be another's howling around the lanes. Look at Top Gear and compare James may with Hamster!

So i guess you should adopt the style relevant to the road / conditions / your mood. I can quite easily squeeze high 40's mpg from the 2, and in the same day be way down and squeeling the tyres.

I think you've spotted the problem, since the car is now louder, your brain is telling you you should change up even if it's a bit early. Re-educate you driving and you will be happy.

Oh, and age is subjective too, at one time i hated the idea of being over 30, now i'm pleased i'm under 40, but for how long?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Remove the brick from under the pedal  :-) :-) :-)  j/k

enjoy the fact that the Nova boy next to you at the lights, is gonna have to change up before you do  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Quote from: "projectneon"enjoy the fact that the Nova boy next to you at the lights, is gonna have to change up before you do  :-) :-) :-)

I wouldn't worry about Nova boy. When I discover such a character is beside me at the lights, I make a point of taking off slowly, smoothly and in comfort. You've nothing to prove to such uncouth individuals.  s:) :) s:)  

Of course, as a Lexus driver, I can't let the Beemers away with anything. Luckily, half the Beemers on the road over here seem to be 316's, thus minimising embarrassment for me!

Si

PS I was rather spectacularly overtaken by an RS4 with UK reg over the weekend. Now *that* had some impressive acceleration.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Diapason"I wouldn't worry about Nova boy. When I discover such a character is beside me at the lights, I make a point of taking off slowly, smoothly and in comfort. You've nothing to prove to such uncouth individuals.  s:) :) s:)  

Si

PS I was rather spectacularly overtaken by an RS4 with UK reg over the weekend. Now *that* had some impressive acceleration.

I cant resist the Nova boys, its just too tempting.

Yep those RS4's shift !

northernalex

Quote from: "Diapason"PS I'm also just the wrong side of 30. Just!

You're 29?

s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

whats that about over 30s!!. my wife offered me a s**g or an MR2 for 61st birthday (her words not mine) said it would me last longer!!. got  a bog standard 2000. now fitted with apexi induction and H&S exhaust. i love hammering it around the back roads of linconshire the noise when it hits 4500and round to 6000 revs is stunning. find a good twisty back road wind it up and enjoy. having owned an elan and a TVR in my youth. this is the best back lane scratcher i have driven, that includes my  son-in-laws new 911 carrera s loverly car but needs A roads to get the best out of it then you get the cameras!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "mick"i love hammering it around the back

Oo-er!

Tags: