Stock Alloy wheels bubbling.......again!

Started by Anonymous, October 22, 2003, 16:52

Anonymous

We replaced all 4 of our alloys last year due to bubbling but the new ones have started bubbling again. Unfortunately its now been over 12 months and Mr.T won't replace them.

Surely the fact there are STILL problems with their alloys means that they should replace them anyway regardless of whether they are out of warranty or not   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

You would think so, especially as its a known toyota problem.

Anonymous

Not sure what to do now. Local dealer has offered to replace the offending alloy (its just the one at the moment) at half-price but its not good enough really.

Comer

Jag do you know anyone with a 2 close by whose car is still in warranty for a couple of years?
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

Good idea Comer   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Comer

Quote from: "cartell"Good idea Comer   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Never said a word mi'lord   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

I like the way you think, but unfortunately not   s:( :( s:(

Tem

Quote from: "jag"Not sure what to do now. Local dealer has offered to replace the offending alloy (its just the one at the moment) at half-price but its not good enough really.

Since they seem to keep having those problems, I'd look for another solution...

You can get them coated with something that lasts for 50-100 euros (all 4). You can even pick a new color, if you're bored with the stock look.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

It IS bloody annoying, but there are refurbers out there that will do each wheel for about 40quid. I know it shouldn't have to come to that, but if MrT is being a pain in the arse about it and won't budge and you want you alloys to look nice and bright, then I suppose that is probably the best option......

I think it is what I will go for when mine start again (it IS inevitable I reckon..........)

Anonymous

I agree with Tem & John, while the car is in warranty get them replaced, but outside warranty just get them refurbished...

All 4 wheels will probably work out cheaper than paying half of what Mr T wants for one wheel anyway, and they will all look brand new then!   s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Yeah, that is the final solution I guess but I want to work Mr.T a little bit more yet   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

No, you're right. Do MrT for everything (hey, whats a warranty for?) and then go for the cheap, but just as good option later.....

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"No, you're right. Do MrT for everything (hey, whats a warranty for?) and then go for the cheap, but just as good option later.....

The problem is that it is out of warranty but I think with this specific case it shouldn't matter.

All we want is some alloys that don't corrode after a year....am I asking too much   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Not at all, but I get the feeling MrT won't be able to deliver that one..........  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Hope you get it sorted though. Keep us posted. Would be interested on the outcome as my wheels are less than a year old, but the car is also out of warranty now.........similar case I suppose.......although mine are not yet bubbling.....

Would be interested in the outcome....

DAZ400

I have an 02 car actually 18 months old and guess what bubbly paint on the wheels had discussion yesturday with the dealer never had problems with wheels sir. Can you change them under warrenty no sir you have invalidated your warrenty by adding bits to the car !!!!!!!!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
SOLD No more 2. Just a bus for the family..........

Slacey

Quote from: "DAZ400"I have an 02 car actually 18 months old and guess what bubbly paint on the wheels had discussion yesturday with the dealer never had problems with wheels sir. Can you change them under warrenty no sir you have invalidated your warrenty by adding bits to the car !!!!!!!!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Irrespective of your turbo and other bits, this should not affect a known problem with wheels - if the engine went boom, then that's a different issue...
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "DAZ400"I have an 02 car actually 18 months old and guess what bubbly paint on the wheels had discussion yesturday with the dealer never had problems with wheels sir. Can you change them under warrenty no sir you have invalidated your warrenty by adding bits to the car !!!!!!!!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

YOU WHAT?!?!?   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Are they having a laugh?!? (this wasnt the dealer in MK was it? as i have been standing there when they replaced someone elses wheels due to bubbling!)

GSB

Name and shame the dealer, and go to a different one who at least uses part of his brain. I had mine changed a few weeks ago at Jemca Metro in north London, and they did'nt bat an eyelid at any of the changes I've made.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

When I spoke to my dealer about it (Lister's in Coventry), they didn't even bother to look at the wheels, they just booked the car in. Mind you, their "It will only take an hour, sir" turned into three hours  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Simon

Anonymous

As the others said, that is out of line.

In correspodance with Toyota GB about mods I was adding, their line was that your warranty is invalidated if the fault can be attributed to the mod.

This doesn't seem to be an issue in your case.

I have had my all alloys changed due to bubbling after only 10 months from new and the only thing the dealer raised was that damage to the alloys by the owner (such as kerbing) would allow them off the hook for a warranty claim.

L

Anonymous

Quote from: "Lusaka"the only thing the dealer raised was that damage to the alloys by the owner (such as kerbing) would allow them off the hook for a warranty claim.

I'd ask 'em to sort out the bubbling, and then if they felt the need they could reapply the kerbing.

After all, it's like denying paint blemish problems just cause there's a scratch on the car somewhere.

GSB

Quote from: "Lusaka"I have had my all alloys changed due to bubbling after only 10 months from new and the only thing the dealer raised was that damage to the alloys by the owner (such as kerbing) would allow them off the hook for a warranty claim.

True, that probably is a valid reason for them to knock you back. Find an understanding dealer though and they wont be bothered by such things, because they know as well as you do that the wheels they remove from your car are will be refurbished. Any kerb scrapes will be repaired at the same time, so it matters not... They certainly weren't bothered about my kerb damage.

A dealer who point blank tells you to go away should be named here so the rest of us can avoid this bungling fool.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

I have had 14 wheels on mine!  All replaced under warranty, try another Toyota dealer mine was very helpful. Take the previous documentation with you to show that they are not the originals and remind them it is a known fault.

Good luck

Anonymous

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
 hi to you all very proud of my mr2 i bought from autolink few yrs ago its 2000 w reg
all 4 wheels are now blistered
the car was a jap import via autolink
does anyone know please if  i get a manifacturers waranty as its an import and will this cover the alloys  how long is the manifacturers warranty if it applies i dont seem to have piece paper with it on
i made a tentative enquiry at toyota dealer as to cover they say alloys would be covered but i didnt tell them it was imported
they want to charge me to inspect it ive just been made redundant from nursing job so moneys tight
also my heat shield cracked and fell off ats told me be ok till i needed a new exhaust  will this be ok dont know what it does
other than that cars brill been so much fun   please help guys not very techie   s:D :D s:D

Liz

Hi Tanya,

Welcome to the club  s:) :) s:)  , your car is well out of warranty now in anycase and Mr T would not cover the alloys even on their aftermarket warranty, keep a look out on here and ebay for refurbished ones - they do come along every now and again.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tags: