Want more power.

Started by Anonymous, October 3, 2006, 12:26

Anonymous

Hi guys, just purchased a 2001 roadster and wondering how I can get around 20bhp on top of the standard 140?Best air filter,exhaust,de-cat?,manifold.
Thank You.  s:D :D s:D

roger

Assuming a turbo is not an option AFAIAA the only way to get towards that sort of figure is either the Unichip or SP's down-pipe / exhaust combo here, or both  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

By them selves the other "obvious" choices don't really add too much to party. Fun, noise etc, yes. Power maybe the odd BHP here or there, but nothing significant
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

markiii

you aren't going to get 20bhp just out of teh sp downpipe and backbox in a wet dream.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

roger

Quote from: "markiii"you aren't going to get 20bhp just out of the sp downpipe and backbox in a wet dream.

Quote from: "roger".....towards that sort of figure ....
Roger

Anonymous

what about manifolds and air filters guys?Is it right to say that the manifold comes first then the downpipe and then last the silencer?20bhp seems a reachable figure with a decent air filter,manifold and system.Would you guys say this?
Thanks

roger

Quote from: "123gruffudd"what about manifolds and air filters guys?
A basic "ebay / Che" type manifold is claiming 7BHP. H&S are doing an offering but no reports of a dyno.    

Don't know about various filters / CAI - but don't expect much.
QuoteIs it right to say that the manifold comes first then the downpipe and then last the silencer?
Yes
Quote20bhp seems a reachable figure with a decent air filter,manifold and system.
Just about. You can always try. Trouble is multiple before and after dynos get expensive.
Roger

Anonymous

Don't think you really need to worry about the filter on the MR2. You should be able to get 20bhp with a Manifold, de-cat, exhaust and Unichip.

Anonymous

Changing Air Filter alone won't give you any increase and CAI isn't effective in these cars due to the cramped and warm engine bay. The PPE inlet draws air from behind the battery and IMO is the only one that could give a performance increase. PPE claim 4bhp, that may be optimistic but I'd say its close.

There's plenty of exhaust manifolds around but seeing as most of them are copies of the TRD or TTE, since TRD claim there's no performance benefit it's hard to see how the others could be any better. PPE have a exhaust manifold which they claim has a 8bhp increase if using there cat or 11 bhp using their down pipe (not road legal though). I have the exhaust manifold and love it for the noise but Id be surprised if there really is as much a performance increase as they claim (Mind you it does leave you pre cat free).

As for Exhaust systems a stainless steel system will of course be a lot lighter then stock but as far as I know only two have shown proven performance increases, Hayward and Scott and Silverstone Performance. Silverstone claim they've seen increases of 12 bhp but that's without a cat.

I think a gain of 20 bhp from a system like this would still be optimistic, but probably achievable if unichipped.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth. Use the search function to find out more, everything I've just told you has been covered many times by more knowledgeable people than me.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kj"....since TRD claim there's no performance benefit it's hard to see how the others could be any better......

TRD claim 14bhp with their manifold, back box and inlet pipe

Anonymous

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  Sorry

markiii

Quote from: "kj"Changing Air Filter alone won't give you any increase and CAI isn't effective in these cars due to the cramped and warm engine bay. The PPE inlet draws air from behind the battery and IMO is the only one that could give a performance increase. PPE claim 4bhp, that may be optimistic but I'd say its close.

There's plenty of exhaust manifolds around but seeing as most of them are copies of the TRD or TTE, since TRD claim there's no performance benefit it's hard to see how the others could be any better. PPE have a exhaust manifold which they claim has a 8bhp increase if using there cat or 11 bhp using their down pipe (not road legal though). I have the exhaust manifold and love it for the noise but Id be surprised if there really is as much a performance increase as they claim (Mind you it does leave you pre cat free).

As for Exhaust systems a stainless steel system will of course be a lot lighter then stock but as far as I know only two have shown proven performance increases, Hayward and Scott and Silverstone Performance. Silverstone claim they've seen increases of 12 bhp but that's without a cat.

I think a gain of 20 bhp from a system like this would still be optimistic, but probably achievable if unichipped.

Anyway that's my 2 cents worth. Use the search function to find out more, everything I've just told you has been covered many times by more knowledgeable people than me.

TTE don't make  MANIFOLD.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Don't Fensport list the Trd as the TTE?

markiii

nope and if they do they are wrong

Anonymous

I got 12bhp (dyno-verified) alone out of TRD air filter, Markiii inlet duct, TTE exhaust and RPS clutch and flywheel. And that's assuming of course that I had the full 138bhp to start with.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Swap the TTE exhaust for an H&S one and add a Unichip and I don't think you'd be far off. Could possibly work out cheaper than changine manifolds and downpipes and cats and the like, too.

philster_d

How do you reach at your "i need 20bhp more" figure ?

Sounds like a negligable amount will you know the difference

Anonymous

I'm aiming for about 160bhp as well...my last car was a Subaru impreza and weighed 1400KG's. The Prodrive performance kit transformed it from fast to devastating. That increase was a mere 36BHP from 225 to 261HP which equates to 16% - all from an exhaust and a remap.

Going from 138 to 160bhp is also 16% increase but over a much smaller lighter car.

I'm not expecting 'sensational' but those extra few HP really do make a difference.

I've a che manifold coming and am planning a sports exhaust but retaining the cat. I figure that will I believe realistically give me about 150bhp. The other 10 I believe is on the table from either a cam change and a unichip of some form.

Expensive some say but the PPP for the Subaru is £1700 for 16%....I think the same is achievable for this car for a similar figure.

markiii

yeah but the impreza had a turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"yeah but the impreza had a turbo

I know...  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Turbo gains are cheap, I realise that, but in my experience whilst being able to deliver savage and sensational insane boosted straight line thrills ultimately create a less satisfying cornering power delivery solution. Lag is the enemy of smooth hi-speed cornering and hi speed progress down winding country lanes is spoilt by the on-off pulse of the turbo and as we all know country lanes are where all the fun is to be had!!..The NA is just a raw and instant and more 'analogue' delivery that seems to suit a 'chuckable' 'mid-rear  driven little car like this.

Put it this way if money was no object would you rather have a 250BHP turbo  engine or a 250BHP 12000rpm NA racing engine in your MR2 ?

Anonymous

A simple re-map via Unichip should give you want you're after, I reckon. Thing is with the MR2, for cornering you actually want perhaps a little less than stock power: That way, you can just keep your foot down knowing you'll come to no harm (within reason, of course). Try that in a turbo'd car (even mine, to an extent) and you'll be facing backwards before you know it.

Anonymous

That's exactly what frustrates me about the Turbo - because of the lag it's harder to 'meter out' the power and maintain the power tension on the wheels on a corner . I agree that you could never use all your power in any car realistically but that's driving ain't it!.

Unfortunately I think turbo cars make one a very lazy driver. The crazy levels of power stop the pursuit of driving finesse in corners becuase you take the gains from the straights to such new levels.

The MR2 has surprised me because I find it suprisingly similar to my old 1984 911 Carrera 3.2 running 240HP on 1160KG's. This car allows incredible cornering speeds and although true rear engine instead of mid engine using that level of power is always just a question of truly knowing your car, where ane how the power comes,  and it's gearing, it's tyres, it's weight distribution and the nature of the roads your on. A car like that requires incredble finesse and technique - but that's the whole thrill of it. Adding 1mph to your cornering speed every time through - practice, analyse, evolve -

I believe the MR2 will really come to life with an extra 20HP - it's alreadyt nearly there IMO - and very slightly stiffer shocks...taking it to the utter edge will be very thrilling in the same way it was in the 911. Take it from me taking the Impreza to the limit was an empty, passionless, empty experience ( but it was insanely fast)

Anonymous

Quote from: "flynnstudio"Unfortunately I think turbo cars make one a very lazy driver.

s8) 8) s8)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tbh, if you really want to go quicker round the corners then I'd go for suspension and chassis bracing over power upgrades first. That's where you'll get far more benefit from (on track, a well-driven N/A can more than keep up with a turbo'd Roadster).

markiii

Quote from: "Ekona"
Quote from: "flynnstudio"Unfortunately I think turbo cars make one a very lazy driver.

Tbh, if you really want to go quicker round the corners then I'd go for suspension and chassis bracing over power upgrades first. That's where you'll get far more benefit from (on track, a well-driven N/A can more than keep up with a turbo'd Roadster).

on some tracks

but I agree, they are the most fun ones   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"

mmh..thanks - I'm glad you've said that - I was wondering about that direction. I'll go with that advice 100%.

What do you recommend  as a good 'fast road' setup that's very taught but forgiving on a daily basis on reasonably bad roads. I don't want rock hard track settings as I have no motorway or fine flat city roads anywhere near me and mostly bumpy undulating unpredictable classic british B roads...

Anonymous

After driving a few different Roadsters with various set-ups, I'd be inclined to go for the Sportivo kit that Markiii's got on his car (along with a set of Neovo rubber, if you've got 16" rears). The balance of the car was beautiful, but in no way harsh at all. At give or take £1000 for the whole thing (IIRC) it's not cheap, but it did feel to me to be exactly what you're after.

I've yet to try the TEIN springs and adjustable dampers in Phil's car, but given that you can alter the dampening from inside the cockpit they might be worth looking at as well.

Anonymous

Thanks..I'll look at those.

I had been considering the tein coilovers without the EDFC so I'd be interested to hear about those but I'll certainly check the sportivo's.

Unless I could find a way of reducing sprung weight without breaking the bank I was planning on staying on the stock alloys and potenza's to begin with (no point  wearing out expensive rubber in the 'getting to know you' phase!).

Above all I'm after keeping the car fun.

(Anyway, I certainly don't ever want to fuel woes of a hi-bhp turbo again - I kid you not I once achieved 7mpg out of the Impreza on one particularly intense run - kind of took the fun out of it using fuel at the rate of 2p per second.)

Tags: