Want more power.

Started by Anonymous, October 3, 2006, 12:26

Liz

Quote from: "tom_deas"right. took jasons 240bhp monster for a spin (thank you very much!) and i can safely say I'm sold. thats all there is to say. except "f*ck me!". lol. madness.  s:D :D s:D

Big mistake  - you will never be satisfied with yours again now..I was going to drive Perrys 3.2 Boxster just after I got my 2.5 and he said not to - not because he didn't trust me - but because he warned me that it was not a good idea to drive a version with more power.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Star_69

Quote from: "Liz"Big mistake  - you will never be satisfied with yours again now..I was going to drive Perrys 3.2 Boxster just after I got my 2.5 and he said not to - not because he didn't trust me - but because he warned me that it was not a good idea to drive a version with more power.

That was probably best! A friends got a 2.5. Lovely car, but what you don't know won't hurt you!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

So, Tom.. when you booking it in to SP? lol
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

muffdan

Quote from: "evileye_xc"Before
Quote from: "tom_deas"id only opt turbo purely for power, not for delivery, personally. I'm a n/a man

After
Quote from: "tom_deas"right. took jasons 240bhp monster for a spin (thank you very much!) and i can safely say I'm sold. thats all there is to say. except "f*ck me!". lol. madness.  s:D :D s:D

I like a man who will stick by his convictions   s8) 8) s8)  

Phil

It takes a real man to admit when he's wrong, good on ya! Just remember that all the turbo kits are different. The TTET and hence the SP240 is built around a small turbo and the setup gives negligible lag and a low boost threshold. Others might give more power at the expense of mid range torque. They drive very differently.

Basically try before you buy.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Liz

Did you ever get a dyno on yours Jason - just wondered as Bossmans SP240 was 225bhp, wondering whether yours came up to the name?  Would like to get it done - but I can't justify the cost!

tom_deas

definately, lol

i have no pretension with admitting i was wrong! im totally sold on a turbo now. either at the end of the summer, or a nice little christmas project (probs the latter)

not looking for major power, and not looking to drop major £££ to get there. just something to satisfy the urge that will swell inside me, lol. im thinking id provisionally opt for Thor's stage 1 kit, and then next year or whatever I can get their chargecooler kit for £1k when i feel the need to bump it a bit further. plus the stage 1 at £2300 is pretty affordable (well, it'd run to £3k budget with added extras ie clutch etc etc etc etc). and kit form, no complaints. can take a couple days off work and have a blast  s:) :) s:)

will need to ring my insurance company first though, because if the premium bumps TOO much then its not viable. but for manifold/exhaust/struts/changing my plate/admin fee they only wanted £80, so.... might get lucky. but that said they might tell me to "p*ss off"  s:D :D s:D  next april im 21 mind you - AND protected NCB - so should be safe by then
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

muffdan

Quote from: "Liz"Did you ever get a dyno on yours Jason - just wondered as Bossmans SP240 was 225bhp, wondering whether yours came up to the name?  Would like to get it done - but I can't justify the cost!

Not been dyno'd. Matt did say there was probably a little more to get out of it because the dyno was broken when they fitted the kit. They had to map it on the road and as a result mapped it a little on the cautious side. If I had to guess, I'd put money on it being somwhere between 220 and 230 atm.

The difference from what it was and what it is now is definitly worth the money Liz, if you are thinking about it then definitly go for it. I had the TTET with the SP exhaust system prior to switching to the SP240 so I had a similar power output to what you have now. With just the TTET torque falls away above 5k and you find you have to change gear. With the SP240 it pulls much harder in the mid range and then continues the hard pull through the full rev range. Fantastic.

Jason
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

firepower

does anyone know the cost to upgrade to the sp 240 now ? the prices for the sp upgrades do not appear to be on their web site any more
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

muffdan

Still £2k
Jason

firepower

yeah 2k + the sp wheels and tyres 1k that =  £3000 , i  would like to upgrade but is it really worth £3000   s:?: :?: s:?:   and is there any other company that could offer the same upgrade cheaper ie injectors and remap etc   s:?: :?: s:?:
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft

muffdan

As well as the injectors and mapping, the kit also includes a fuel pressure regulator, induction kit and a Unichip to replace the TTE piggyback.
Jason

Liz

I don't think that I could justify the cost of the SP240 - for a start has anyone actually made 240 out of it? I believe SP's was 238 and I know that Bossman made it to 225 (of which I personally would not of been happy given the name of the product  s:? :? s:?  ), your not sure of the figures but reckon about 225-230 - which for me would be a gain of  approximately 21-hp; £95 per horse is pricey and I am not too sure that the torque would be that much different to warrant the money.  I am happy with the car as it is at the moment, the lag is minimal, the pull when your in 5th and put your foot down and it  takes off is more than enough to keep me happy and surprise a few big cars!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

firepower

sp are a top company and no disrespect to them but with regards to the sp240 upgrade , does anyone no the sum of the parts fitted during the upgrade ie induction kit , fuel pressure reg , unichip etc do they add up to £2000   s:?: :?: s:?:

aaronjb

Quote from: "firepower"sp are a top company and no disrespect to them but with regards to the sp240 upgrade , does anyone no the sum of the parts fitted during the upgrade ie induction kit , fuel pressure reg , unichip etc do they add up to £2000   s:?: :?: s:?:

Almost certainly not - but then, why should they?  For any professional offering there is always that little thing called R&D to recoup, not to mention profit..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

muffdan

Quote from: "firepower"sp are a top company and no disrespect to them but with regards to the sp240 upgrade , does anyone no the sum of the parts fitted during the upgrade ie induction kit , fuel pressure reg , unichip etc do they add up to £2000   s:?: :?: s:?:

I certainly hope not or they'd be out of business. You're buying a product that has been developed and proven to work. You're also buying a professional, warranteed installation, and a professional mapping. It gets bolted on and you forget about it (until you put your foot down   s:D :D s:D   )

The difference between my car now and with just TTET is the same leap again. The SP240 in my opinion is better value for money than the TTET so if you justified the value for money of the TTET then the value for money of the SP240 is a non-issue.

Here's the actual math:

TTET @ £4500 gaining 48bhp = £93 per bhp
SP240+Exhaust @ £2000+£700 gaining another 54bhp = £50 per bhp

That's based on hitting 240bhp. Even if you do only hit 225bhp you're still talking £69 per bhp.

I know my car was conservatively mapped at the time because of the lack of a dyno which SP said they would map properly once it was up and running again. For various reasons I haven't taken the time to have it done yet. That's the only reason my setup is slightly under powered.

Jason
Jason

roger

Quote from: "aaronjb"

Almost certainly not - but then, why should they?  For any professional offering there is always that little thing called R&D to recoup, not to mention profit..

.....and wages, and overheads. Commercially fitted parts are always going to cost more than DIY, and if you chose that way, there is only one person to blame if it goes wrong, but there is only one person with a huge grin if it goes right.

Sorry to hijack, but i thought i would add one of my pet hates. I get a bit fed up of the "how much do they charge!" type of post. Businesses are out there to make money so the owners can take it home at night, just as everybody here is. How they do that is their business. OK, get a feeling of prices if you are comparing suppliers, but don't dis anybody at the top end of the price range. They have their reasons - and maybe, just maybe they don't want the likes of "you" as a customer. [/rant over]
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

MR2 = £8000
TTET = £5000
SP240 = £2000
MR2 with 240bhp = £15000

350Z with 280bhp = £14000

s;) ;) s;)

More power isn't the be all and end all of a good sports car. Whilst I may have gone quicker in the VXR than in the Zed, I know which is more fun on the UK roads simply because it has more usable power. It's very unlikely I'll go back to a turbo car again, simply because more finesse in the corners will equal a quicker and arguably more fun pace. That's not to say that a turbo'd MR2 isn't very very good fun, because it is, but there comes a point when more power overwhelms the car. From my own experience, the MR2 sits best at around 200bhp. Any more and you're more hanging on than driving.

markiii

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "aaronjb"

.....and wages, and overheads. Commercially fitted parts are always going to cost more than DIY, and if you chose that way, there is only one person to blame if it goes wrong, but there is only one person with a huge grin if it goes right.

Sorry to hijack, but i thought i would add one of my pet hates. I get a bit fed up of the "how much do they charge!" type of post. Businesses are out there to make money so the owners can take it home at night, just as everybody here is. How they do that is their business. OK, get a feeling of prices if you are comparing suppliers, but don't dis anybody at the top end of the price range. They have their reasons - and maybe, just maybe they don't want the likes of "you" as a customer. [/rant over]

exactly were I doing it on my own car I could probably do it for £700

however I dont' have to warranty or cover teh time taken to deal with customers e.t.c
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

Quote from: "Ekona"MR2 = £8000
TTET = £5000
SP240 = £2000
MR2 with 240bhp = £15000

s;) ;) s;)

More power isn't the be all and end all of a good sports car. Whilst I may have gone quicker in the VXR than in the Zed, I know which is more fun on the UK roads simply because it has more usable power. It's very unlikely I'll go back to a turbo car again, simply because more finesse in the corners will equal a quicker and arguably more fun pace. That's not to say that a turbo'd MR2 isn't very very good fun, because it is, but there comes a point when more power overwhelms the car. From my own experience, the MR2 sits best at around 200bhp. Any more and you're more hanging on than driving.

agreed though I'm convinced 200 useable bhp is available n/a and I'm definately convinced 250 with a 2zz

current challange is to see if teh VXR can be made more like an N/A in tractability  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

tom_deas

Quote from: "Ekona"MR2 = £8000
TTET = £5000
SP240 = £2000
MR2 with 240bhp = £15000

s;) ;) s;)

ahh yes but more weight in the Zed  s;) ;) s;)

Quote from: "Ekona"the MR2 sits best at around 200bhp. Any more and you're more hanging on than driving.

never driven a 200bhp, but +1
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"agreed though I'm convinced 200 useable bhp is available n/a and I'm definately convinced 250 with a 2zz

current challange is to see if the VXR can be made more like an N/A in tractability  :-) :-) :-)
I think I'd prefer the MR2 with 200bhp in turbo form, and just accept the limitations of that as a track car and build it more for the road. A turbo in an MR2 makes it feel like something truly special, and I'm not sure an N/A version would give you the same thrill. That said, an nice V6...

If it's track use then N/A or SC all the way, definitely. You'll be okay in the VXR as it's got oodles of grip and a small turbo, which is why it's such a devastating weapon and scares the life out of 997 GT3RSes  s8) 8) s8)

evileye_wrx

Ebay Special PE kit @£1000 (give or take a few) gaining 61bhp = £16 per BHP
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

aaronjb

NA = girls
Turbo = boys

That is all

s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

markiii

in a straight line o a roads then year turbo mr2

however I always missed ragging it down teh b roads using all teh revs, do that turbo and your going so ridiculously fast you never get to use all teh revs

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"NA = girls
Turbo = boys

That is all

s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

I'm sure Liz will have something to say about that  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

I think Aaron forgto a category for all woman  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: