Want more power.

Started by Anonymous, October 3, 2006, 12:26

tom_deas

Quote from: "evileye_xc"Ebay Special PE kit @£1000 (give or take a few) gaining 61bhp = £16 per BHP

???!!!!

is that buy it now or bidding?
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

Liz

Hmm, I was going to ask what that makes me then  s:? :? s:?    s:?: :?: s:?:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"however I always missed ragging it down the b roads using all the revs, do that turbo and your going so ridiculously fast you never get to use all the revs

See I just don't get that.. I know mine doesn't have as much power as yours did, right now, but I regularly use all the revs in 1st, 2nd and 3rd..

It's not like installing a turbo changes the gear ratios, so why aren't you going to be going up to the same RPM? You're short shifting everywhere? Turbo or not, at 7000rpm in 3rd you are well over the speed limit.

Case in point - a few nights ago I came around a sweeping, fairly tight motorway sliproad (M25 clockwise to M4 West, for those who know it), full-throttle at the top end of 3rd, and snatched 4th while still cornering, and bouncing over a fairly hefty 'lump' in the tarmac.  No drama, no sideways, it just hooks up and catapults out of the corner at.. erm. 70. Honest.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"Hmm, I was going to ask what that makes me then  s:? :? s:?    s:?: :?: s:?:

I was kidding Liz  s;) ;) s;)  We know you are all woman   s:D :D s:D
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

markiii

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "markiii"however I always missed ragging it down the b roads using all the revs, do that turbo and your going so ridiculously fast you never get to use all the revs

See I just don't get that.. I know mine doesn't have as much power as yours did, right now, but I regularly use all the revs in 1st, 2nd and 3rd..

It's not like installing a turbo changes the gear ratios, so why aren't you going to be going up to the same RPM? You're short shifting everywhere? Turbo or not, at 7000rpm in 3rd you are well over the speed limit.

Case in point - a few nights ago I came around a sweeping, tight motorway sliproad, full-throttle at the top end of 3rd, and snatched 4th while still cornering, and bouncing over a fairly hefty 'lump' in the tarmac.  No drama, no sideways, it just hooks up and catapults out of the corner at.. erm. 70. Honest.

it's not so much about ratios as how fast you arrive at a bend  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

But everything happens so much quicker, and you've got to get on the brakes quicker, it just doesn't seem as much fun and you never feel like you're really driving. Besides, in a turbo you don't need to shit so much so you invariably get lazy and don't, and instead you ride the wave of torque in 3rd gear and leave it there. In an N/A you'd be standing still if you did that, so you have to work the gears and that's what makes it fun. I love having to drop a couple or three cogs on the motorway to blast past slower traffic now, whereas I always just left it in 6th in the MR2 post-turbo.

Star_69

Tom, you're posting in a topic marked "Want more Power", yet in your sig you mention about running over a poor tramp! Shouldn't you start a thread in the Appearance section titled "Fluorescent yellow respray - how much?"   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

I can't wait to get my high revving supercharged 2zz back from Rogue   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

tom_deas

Quote from: "Star_69"Tom, you're posting in a topic marked "Want more Power", yet in your sig you mention about running over a poor tramp! Shouldn't you start a thread in the Appearance section titled "Fluorescent yellow respray - how much?"   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D  

ahh now thats a story  s:D :D s:D  was outside a police station, the guy was drunk and on a bike (like, pushbike). he shot out of a side alley at 20mph and i was the unlucky b*gger who hit him. was my old Ford Puma. only had the car a week. thank the lord i was doing the speed limit down that stretch unlike most people. was no way i could have avoided him though  s:( :( s:(  the bugger messed up my bonnet! he took it like a pro mind you, just got up, dusted himself off, and asked me to get a ham and cheese pasty out of his bag. classic.
[size=85]Che Manifold, Che Elise twin-centre Exhaust, Che RU Strutted, Eonon DoubDin 7" Touchscreen DVD player, yellow calipers, the tramp I ran over in my old car still following me around waiting to dive in front of me again.                   <---- you think im kidding?![/size]

Quotedo you want an ultra lightweight pulley to go with your "turbo" badge? if you treat me real nice i can tell you where on your car to put the turbo badge to get the full 20bhp gain! don\'t f*ck about, put the kettle on

northernalex

PWR turbo comming in at $5K dollars.. About 3K in pounds imported (with taxes I think.. although someone may calculate it correctly). Has a PFC and injectors etc. You'd need to add a clutch though.  Check out the dyno plots for WHP!

Alex
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

tom_deas

Quote from: "northernalex"PWR turbo comming in at $5K dollars.. About 3K in pounds imported (with taxes I think.. although someone may calculate it correctly). Has a PFC and injectors etc. You'd need to add a clutch though.  Check out the dyno plots for WHP!

Alex

lol what happened to the PE turbo "£1000" above?

PWR turbo for £3000... Thor kits less than that. and the worry is reliability no doubt?

markiii

PWR make chargecoolers, as far as I know they don't make turbos?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

tom_deas

Quote from: "markiii"PWR make chargecoolers, as far as I know they don't make turbos?

another reason not to trust an imported turbo... well im sure someone would be tempted but personally i wouldnt hedge a risk with a non-UK AND an eBay seller over something that can go as badly wrong as a turbo

Star_69

I think Alex meant Monkeywrench Racing (MWR). The kit is http://monkeywrenchracing.com/mwr_turbo_kit_toyota_mr2_spyder.html with dynos (which is wheel hp, not flywheel!)
-Brad
Owner of an \'03 plate "Ship of Theseus" aka Trigger\'s Broom Roadster [strike]1zz-f[/strike]e, [strike]supercharged 2zz-ge,[/strike] 2GR-FE

DannyN

I think Alex might be talking about this one on spyderchat

m http://spyderchat.com/forums/index.php? ... opic=52803 m

D
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

markiii

hmm so it's finally available

not convinced personally experience with rear mount intercoolers is they are problematic at best

as for teh shoddy state of teh charge pipe in that picture and the location of teh air filter, I'd pass

shame MWR stuff is normally pretty good

tom_deas

option - wait for the US$ to become worthless   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   then it doesnt really matter  s:) :) s:)

northernalex

yes I ment MWR.. sorry .. and yes its wheel wp (WHP). No Idea why I wrote PWR..

As you say Mark, these guys usually have a very good rep, but the location of the air filter isnt the best.

Cheers guys.

Bad day!
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

northernalex

Quote from: "tom_deas"lol what happened to the PE turbo "£1000" above?

Was an ebay auction that one, the ebay add was reasonably descriptive but no mention of mr2 owners club etc, so few club members bid on the item. Turned ou tthat it was owned by a MR2ROC member who had a good reputation of looking after stuff, so Phil got a bargain there!.

Still had to fork out 300 quid or so for the emanage, then add the harness, then a tune, add gaskets and exhaust. think it was about another K all in. So 2-2.5K for the kit and all the other bits needed to make it run well.. And now he needs(wants) to add an IC or CC (probably an IC).

Cheers,

Alex
evileye_xc said:

firepower

Quote from: "firepower"sp are a top company and no disrespect to them but with regards to the sp240 upgrade , does anyone no the sum of the parts fitted during the upgrade ie induction kit , fuel pressure reg , unichip etc do they add up to £2000   s:?: :?: s:?:

Almost certainly not - but then, why should they?  For any professional offering there is always that little thing called R&D to recoup, not to mention profit..

i agree sp are a business and should make a profit on everything they do or sell , i have no problem with them having spent over £5000 with them for my turbo conversion and sp exhaust system and like i said in my post no disrespect to them , put it this way if i wanted to have any building work done on my house i would get a few quotes from reputable companies and select the best quote , i see no reason why if i am paying for goods and services for my home or my car i should not know the cost of each then i can make an informed decision   s:) :) s:)
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

aaronjb

Quote from: "firepower"i see no reason why if i am paying for goods and services for my home or my car i should not know the cost of each then i can make an informed decision   s:) :) s:)

True enough - well, I did an in-the-head calculation and I reckon you'd be looking at about £1000's worth of parts unless you know a cheap fabricator for the downpipe (they remove the TTE pre-cat, if memory serves):

Unichip/ECU - £3-400
Injectors - £3-400
FPR mod - £50 (assuming they don't switch to a return system)
Downpipe - £3-500
Intake - £100

There was talk of a bigger intercooler and probably a few other bits and bobs, plus labour and a mapping session that would usually cost you £3-400 - it starts to look a reasonable price when you include a warranty and "fit & forget"

tom_deas

+1

except with the odd cowboy, (lol "Brokeback Mountain"... sorry heh), you get what you pay for

cheap turbo = thrills on a budget with a risk
expensive turbo = proper job you can have faith in

firepower

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "firepower"sp are a top company and no disrespect to them but with regards to the sp240 upgrade , does anyone no the sum of the parts fitted during the upgrade ie induction kit , fuel pressure reg , unichip etc do they add up to £2000   s:?: :?: s:?:

Almost certainly not - but then, why should they?  For any professional offering there is always that little thing called R&D to recoup, not to mention profit..

.....and wages, and overheads. Commercially fitted parts are always going to cost more than DIY, and if you chose that way, there is only one person to blame if it goes wrong, but there is only one person with a huge grin if it goes right.

Sorry to hijack, but i thought i would add one of my pet hates. I get a bit fed up of the "how much do they charge!" type of post. Businesses are out there to make money so the owners can take it home at night, just as everybody here is. How they do that is their business. OK, get a feeling of prices if you are comparing suppliers, but don't dis anybody at the top end of the price range. They have their reasons - and maybe, just maybe they don't want the likes of "you" as a customer. [/rant over]

i hope you are not having a rant at me roger   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   as i said in my post no disrespect to sp and yes i am only trying to get a feel of prices so i can make informed decisions which may also benefit other members of this club and having already spent £5000 with sp on the turbo which has been an almost fit and forget product i should think they would want the likes of me as a customer
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft

roger

Quote from: "firepower"put it this way if i wanted to have any building work done on my house i would get a few quotes from reputable companies and select the best quote , i see no reason why if i am paying for goods and services for my home or my car i should not know the cost of each then i can make an informed decision   s:) :) s:)

I've got no problem with that either, but I guess you wouldn't ask a builder how much a 1000 he's paying for bricks, just in case you might be able to get them cheaper.

I think what you were looking for was the answer to "Is it good value for the money?". Unfortunately value and cost are sometimes totally different.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

northernalex

Quote from: "firepower"i see no reason why if i am paying for goods and services for my home or my car i should not know the cost of each then i can make an informed decision   s:) :) s:)

True enough - well, I did an in-the-head calculation and I reckon you'd be looking at about £1000's worth of parts unless you know a cheap fabricator for the downpipe (they remove the TTE pre-cat, if memory serves):

Unichip/ECU - £3-400
Injectors - £3-400
FPR mod - £50 (assuming they don't switch to a return system)
Downpipe - £3-500
Intake - £100

There was talk of a bigger intercooler and probably a few other bits and bobs, plus labour and a mapping session that would usually cost you £3-400 - it starts to look a reasonable price when you include a warranty and "fit & forget"
Can we add tuning the Unichip to that? another 300-400 quid?
Gaskets 25-30 quid?
Plasters for cut fingers etc £1  s:) :) s:)

Alex
evileye_xc said:

firepower

thanks for the info aaron   s:D :D s:D

Tags: