Want more power.

Started by Anonymous, October 3, 2006, 12:26

muffdan

Quote from: "aaronjb"(they remove the TTE pre-cat, if memory serves):

They keep the TTE pre-cat as part of the SP240 package, but a fabricated pipe is an additional modification you can have from them.

Quote from: "aaronjb"There was talk of a bigger intercooler and probably a few other bits and bobs

A bigger intercooler is certainly a new option and I believe is here. Matt said he's fitting one to an MR2 ( a member's car here?) this/next week and would let me know how it goes. Its the IC they use on their new Elise S SP package. Matt showed me the two ICs side by side. The TTE IC looks very cheap and inefficient compared to the new option and not just due to its increased size. It has the additon of fins internally to increase the cooling surface area further.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"[I've got no problem with that either, but I guess you wouldn't ask a builder how much a 1000 he's paying for bricks, just in case you might be able to get them cheaper.
We get that (although with bathroom suites, not bricks). Does my f*cking head in. Either you want us to do the job, or you don't.   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Sorry to butt in on this one, but it's nothing to do with the cost of the bricks, it's about knowing a) whether they are right for the job and b) knowing how to lay them (don't take that the wrong way!).

Anonymous

Exactly. You pay for the knowledge, not the materials.

ChrisGB

More specifically, the knowledge, time to fit, time to develop, workshop costs, business rates, employee wages and NI, cost of tools, a dyno (how much is that alone?) and the peace of mind given by a warranty.

On the subject of wanting turbo or N/A I reckon neither is "better". It just depends how you enjoy your car. I find the MR2 lacking in punch, especially with two people on board, so I would like more power. However, I don't get my jollies form the sort of feeble acceleration that an affordable car can generate (too many fast bike experiences of acceleration for cars to give me much of a buzz) so for me more power is a convenience thing. I came off a roundabout onto a straight on Tuesday, the road went dual carriageway for a couple of hundred yards, then closed down to single lane. I could see a 40ft lorry lumbering toward the single carriageway section and with around 200bhp, I would have gone for the overtake. N/A even working it hard, not a chance. The fact that the guy in the Mitsi Evo ahead comfortably made it is annoying though.

However, coming back the opposite way a few hours later and turning right on same big open roundabout I found it completely empty and proceeded to slice round it with the tyres right up on the limit, just playing the gas to balance it. Here, a turbo would have made it less easy as when you push that hard, throttle control is everything. I guess I prefer my jollies form being close to crashing.

What I ideally want is a supercharged setup to gain benefits of boost with a constant throttle response. It looks like kits are few and far between at the moment and I suspect one reason is that most of them are dragging the belt across ancillaries causing side force failures. Could be wrong on this, but experience tells me, crank to SC on tension side with nothing in the middle is the only way to do it reliably.

Having said all that, I really do feel the need to get more power and I keep looking at the PE kit. It uses a very small turbo and may just tip me in the direction of a turbo. I think I will try my set of stage 1 Crower cams first though. If I can get close to 170bhp for a relatively minor spend, the extra 30bhp just will not be justifiable at over £2000 + fitting. Also, don't really know how the throttle response I will change with the PE kit.

Either way, I have to save up enough pennies for a new tuition car first.

The other thing about power is than unless you have something incredibly obscenely fast, you just want more after you get used to it. Very drug like in its own way.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

You will enjoy the cams Chris - very nice power right across the board, it may not be as powerful as a turbo but it's as smooth as silk and very forgiving.  s:D :D s:D  

Rob.

muffdan

Quote from: "ChrisGB"The other thing about power is than unless you have something incredibly obscenely fast, you just want more after you get used to it. Very drug like in its own way.

True, I've gone and bought a set of internals from MWR, just saving up the cash I need to get it all fitted by SP.

Once they're in, along with a bigger IC, I'll crank up the PSI on the old boost controller and have SP map it to -320bhp  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I will probably run two maps at this level, 240bhp for every day driving, 320bhp for straight line drags and bragging rights   s:D :D s:D  . I do like Stu's toggle switch for switching into 'mental' mode!
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

ChrisGB

Quote from: "muffdan"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"The other thing about power is than unless you have something incredibly obscenely fast, you just want more after you get used to it. Very drug like in its own way.

True, I've gone and bought a set of internals from MWR, just saving up the cash I need to get it all fitted by SP.

Once they're in, along with a bigger IC, I'll crank up the PSI on the old boost controller and have SP map it to -320bhp  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I will probably run two maps at this level, 240bhp for every day driving, 320bhp for straight line drags and bragging rights   s:D :D s:D  . I do like Stu's toggle switch for switching into 'mental' mode!

At 320bhp, if peak torque is at 6800rpm, you are still at 250lb/ft. Given the usual toque curve of a turboed 1zz, that may put you up past 270lb/ft in the midrange.

I am happy I will not be your gearbox.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

muffdan

Quote from: "ChrisGB"At 320bhp, if peak torque is at 6800rpm, you are still at 250lb/ft. Given the usual toque curve of a turboed 1zz, that may put you up past 270lb/ft in the midrange.

The plan is for as flat a torque curve as I can get. Tommy's setup over in the Greek club literally has a straight flat line from 4k through to 7k (he also has a huge GT40 at the heart of it!). I'll have to wait and see exactly how mine pans out.
Jason

markiii

if you can hit 320bhp without a CC I'm impressed
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

muffdan

Quote from: "markiii"if you can hit 320bhp without a CC I'm impressed

I have no idea, Matt insists that their larger IC mounted in the same place as the TTE IC is going to match any CC setup. I just don't know who to believe   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

I'll find out off Matt what difference to a standard setup their bigger IC makes on the car they're doing now. How I'll compare that to the difference a CC would make, I don't know.
Jason

markiii

if you can get the airflow it's possible and the TTET location has the best chance of getting teh airflow,

going to be interesting thats for sure
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

Quote from: "Ekona"MR2 = £8000
TTET = £5000
SP240 = £2000
MR2 with 240bhp = £15000

350Z with 280bhp = £14000

s;) ;) s;)

My c2 power kit with an rps street max cluch cost about €4400 (fitted)

So
Mr2          £8000
C2 turbo  £3475
Profec e01 £400

MR2 with around 280 equals 11875     s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Tags: