Want more power.

Started by Anonymous, October 3, 2006, 12:26

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Ekona"I got 12bhp (dyno-verified) alone out of TRD air filter, Markiii inlet duct, TTE exhaust and RPS clutch and flywheel. And that's assuming of course that I had the full 138bhp to start with.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Swap the TTE exhaust for an H&S one and add a Unichip and I don't think you'd be far off. Could possibly work out cheaper than changine manifolds and downpipes and cats and the like, too.
Trd panel filter, Markiii inlet duct, H&S exhaust, Unichip my exact setup; must get in Dynoed sometime  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

markiii

not forgetting your precats are gone
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

Quote from: "markiii"not forgetting your precats are gone
Thanks to your great service Mark a while back now  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Ekona Wrote:
QuoteI got 12bhp (dyno-verified) alone out of TRD air filter, Markiii inlet duct, TTE exhaust and RPS clutch and flywheel. And that's assuming of course that I had the full 138bhp to start with.  

Would a clutch and flywheel make more power? I know a lighter flywheel will make the engine more "lively" but didn't think it did much else.

markiii

it reduces parastictic losses,

so you will in effect get more power

it transformed mine
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ernie Ball

I was under the impression from something I read that a lighter flywheel doesn't affect bhp as measured on a dyno but does affect the effective (perceived?) weight of the car, especially in low gears.

markiii

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"I was under the impression from something I read that a lighter flywheel doesn't affect bhp as measured on a dyno but does affect the effective (perceived?) weight of the car, especially in low gears.

exactly

heathstimpson

It's amazing how your learn something new every day of your life  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Was it the change of clutch or lightened flywheel that made the real big improvement Mark  s:?: :?: s:?:

markiii

flywheel,

see it won't affect power at the crank

but it will afect it at the wheels,

and its just revs so much more crisply, it revolutuionised 2nd and 3rd for me

heathstimpson

Quote from: "markiii"flywheel,

see it won't affect power at the crank

but it will afect it at the wheels,

and its just revs so much more crisply, it revolutuionised 2nd and 3rd for me
So when I have the clutch replaced sometime in the future I may as well stick a lightened flywheel in as well then  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

I would, Heath. Unless you're ever planning to go turbo, in which case I would definately do without it.

markiii

yes, though teh knack is not to go too light I found teh RPS to be the perfect balance

too light and you will keep stalling it when pottering

markiii

Quote from: "Ekona"I would, Heath. Unless you're ever planning to go turbo, in which case I would definately do without it.

now this is where it gets interesting

ask me last month and I'd agree with Dan, however having driven Stus C2 and mine without teh Hass 3" bore exhaust teh difference was amazing.

I'm putting it down to backpressure differences or low end torque, but while a lightened flywheel with teh Hass exhaust was horrid liek an off swicth with teh C2 and my Supertrapp experminet, it was transformed.

since I now Have Toms exhaust I'll let you know the difference that makes

Anonymous

Interesting Mark, I'd love to see what the difference again makes.

heathstimpson

Yes very interesting; so many combinations when modding a car  s:? :? s:?  Is it guesswork when getting it right or pure skill  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

I'd go with 50/50, unless you're the first person to try it.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

budget

or learning from those that have already spent it   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?  

unless your buying a Hass kit I'd go lightened flywheel. it won't harm your turbo experience but it will make the na experience hilariously good fun

Ernie Ball

My thinking in buying MoAtt's TRD clutch and flywheel was that I'd have to upgrade the clutch for a turbo anyway.  Not that I'm 100% sure that I'm going to go turbo (especially since 2ZZ may now be an option; if I go that route, I'll have to sell the new clutch and flywheel).  But if I don't go turbo, it's still better than stock.  I'll give a report after I've had them installed.

markiii

obvious statement but check your insurance abiout the 2zz, had I beenw ith adrian flux 2 years ago I would have 2zzed already

Ernie Ball

I wondered about that.  Actually I wonder if any irish insurance adjuster would have the cop on to know that a different engine was in there.

juansolo

Quote from: "flynnstudio"That's exactly what frustrates me about the Turbo - because of the lag it's harder to 'meter out' the power and maintain the power tension on the wheels on a corner . I agree that you could never use all your power in any car realistically but that's driving ain't it!.

It's one of the reasons I ended up with a WRX and not an STi.  I just found the torque spread and 5 speed box suited our roads better than the peakier STi.  The lower power also helped when giving it some on the twisties as you could really ring it's neck if you wanted to.  It was hardly a slow car!

Quote from: "flynnstudio"(Anyway, I certainly don't ever want to fuel woes of a hi-bhp turbo again - I kid you not I once achieved 7mpg out of the Impreza on one particularly intense run - kind of took the fun out of it using fuel at the rate of 2p per second.)

One of the reasons I've just sold mine and gone back to a little sports car.  That and I didn't need to tow any more (the Westy has gone too *wipes tear*).  It was just so expensive to run it was untrue.  Fun and I'm glad I did it, but time to be all sensible again!

My 2 penneth on the roadster.  I actually liked the stock suspension.  I thought it was well balanced, rode well and was nice and exploitable.  Strap some Neovas on, and a couple of noise enhancing bits and leave it be.
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"So when I have the clutch replaced sometime in the future I may as well stick a lightened flywheel in as well then  s8) 8) s8)

And guess what i have sat in my garage   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

m http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/ ... o-0082.jpg m

Anonymous

Quote from: "juansolo"It's one of the reasons I ended up with a WRX and not an STi. It was hardly a slow car!

Snap - I got a WRX300 for the same reasons. Amazing engineering but at the end of the day I guess I really am just a 2 seater sports car kind of guy...

The Neovas seem popular around here - I'll have to give them a try next time round...

You driving a '2 now or something different ?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"So when I have the clutch replaced sometime in the future I may as well stick a lightened flywheel in as well then  s8) 8) s8)

And guess what i have sat in my garage   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

m http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c253/ ... o-0082.jpg m
Toda racing; how much does that baby differ from the RPS  s:?: :?: s:?:

juansolo

Quote from: "flynnstudio"You driving a '2 now or something different ?

I'm actually back to an MX-5 again for road and I am hiring Caterhams for track use for the time being.  I was struggling to find the time to spanner the Westfield (and I'd had it for 6 years so thought it was time for a change) and when that went, my need for a sensible car went also.  I considered all sorts.  I have always fancied an S2000, but they're almost as expensive to run as the WRX was so I knocked that on the head as I can do without the big insurance and fuel costs.  Same went for a 350Z or a Boxster S which were too expensive to buy period, I didn't fancy getting a loan for this car...  

So back to Mr2 / MX-5's and I got a top deal on the 5 so I'm back to them.  It really is a toss up between which one I prefer.  I've always prefered the 5 as a road car due to it feeling like a classic sports car, but then the 2 dynamically is a much more capable car around the track.  Slightly faster too...  As it was the deal swung it and I'm a happy chappy.

I'm gonna stick with the 5 plus hire for a year or so then probably look to getting another track car.  Something with a roof this time!
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Tags: