2zz engines and Rogue's Services, with images

Started by northernalex, October 10, 2006, 10:45

northernalex

Quote from: "aaronjb"Sure, if you'd like to:

a) Kill your release bearing in record time
b) Crash into any car in front of you should you be hit from behind (natural reaction will be to lift off the clutch, and you'll lurch forward/stall)

a) not sure what one of them is - just had a look at cluch design and .. yes fair point.
b) not if you leave enough distance.

If you take your foot off the clutch (which i do if i'm going to be there longer than say 10 -20 seconds) then you have three movements to make so you slow up all the traffic behind you.

Maybe the AA driving school needs re-teaching??

Hey i dont know which is the "correct" way to do things, just how I was taught and i know the reasons for going both ways, and both are valid reasons.

Edit: had a look at a few motoring sites and the first one i saw claimed you should take your foot off the clutch, highway code has no mention of it.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

rtbiscuit

i must admit, i do the same i only ever use the handbrake at the start and end of a journey,

first to get moving, and at the end when i park.

i have always driven with my foot on the clutch, but i also sit with my foot on the brake sat in first.

and as far as release bearings go, its no different from pulling away normally.

i drive tractors over the summer, and always use the clutch,

the main factor is clutch control. yes you will damage the release bearing if you puty loads of power on and then lift the clutch really quick.

plus a hand brake wont stop you being pushed into the car infront,

me and the rugby lads can push cars out of parking spaces with the handbrakes on.

its all personal preference.

my driving instructor taught me the other way,

stop, handbrake, neutral, foot off pedal.

but if you do that you are suseptable to oncoming crash issues, you would never be able to get in gear and move quick enough.

swings and round abouts as far as i'm concerned

do what makes you happy!
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"me and the rugby lads can push cars out of parking spaces with the handbrakes on.
<<<Slight topic drift for 1 sec>>>Another rugby player on the forum  s8) 8) s8)  

That driving instructor gave you some bum info; no wonder all his students fail  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

red_leicester

Every time I stop at lights behind someone who has left their foot on the brakes (the majority nowadays), I want to whack my main beam on to see how they like being blinded by an inconsiderate %&*$&*.

Makes me smile sometimes actually, they're sat there for maybe 60 seconds on level ground with their foot on the brake.  WHY???  What's wrong with the handbrake???
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

rtbiscuit

hand brake or foot brake you get red lights come on!

Previous cars:

Peter Wright

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"hand brake or foot brake you get red lights come on!
Nah !
Just footbrake

Edit
Or did you mean the dash red light
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Peter Wright"
Quote from: "rtbiscuit"hand brake or foot brake you get red lights come on!
Nah !
Just footbrake

Edit
Or did you mean the dash red light
No I think he was referring to the rear brake lights and as you said they only come on if you press the foot brake as they are connected via a switch on it.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

rtbiscuit

i'm confused now,

i thought Jez gets annoyed by people in front who sit with the foot on the brake presumably because you get blinded by the brake light.

my thoughts were that if you put the handbrake on, do you not get lights at the rear come on as well.

i could be wrong.

it is early, just got up, and sat in my dressing gown typing nonsense

Previous cars:

Anonymous

Without wishing to offend rtbiscuit (Mr biscuit - start using your handbrake in a queue and you will be saved come the revolution -- your brake lights only come on when you put your foot brake on guv) .... Anyway,  I tend to divide the population into two camps - those who are considerate of others (good people) and those who don't give a damn about anything or anyone around them (bad people).

Fortunately Its easy to spot these two types of people.

Simply drive on the M25 in rush hour on a dark rainy evening.  When you join the inevitable stationary queue - the good people use their handbrake, the bad people sit with their foot on the foot brake whilst you quietly suffer the glare from their brake lights.  It takes but a a couple of seconds of thought and effort to be good, but no, sadly 90%+ are bad.

Simplistic, I know - and yes, I must be getting old (and grumpy) but it does make me feel less than charitable about most of my fellow human beings!

rtbiscuit

i must admit, when it comes to traffic jams i am slightly different,

i do tend to just sit there, no brake at all.

i f traffic doesnt move for more than 5-10 min, i actually put the handbrake on and turn the engine off.

does that make me a fence sitter, part good part bad.

and don't worry i haven't taken offence, i know i have some bad driving habits.

for instance i only indicate on motorways if there are 2 cars in front and trafic behind,  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Previous cars:

Anonymous

This has turned into a very interesting thread to me.  If I follow correctly, many of you put your gearbox in neutral and apply the handbrake at a traffic light, correct?

Heath, you're recently back from the US, did you see anyone exhibit this behavior?  I would think it very rare here.

And how would an automatic gearbox car be employed - same?  This would cause higher wear rates -and the repair is significantly more expensive than replacing a release bearing in a manual gearbox car.

I've driven in the UK and several other European countries and must admit I really never noticed.  My last trip was in/around Oslo, and I wonder if the Norwegians were able to identify me as a US tourist without me even opening my mouth.

BTW, when I went through a driving school in the US, back in 1966, I was told the handbrake made it handy to start on a hill without any roll-back (slip the clutch a little), but that was the only use other than while parked - in fact they are typically either called parking or emergency brakes in the US.

SteveJ

WTF has this got to do with 2ZZ engine swaps?

Liz

Quote from: "SteveJ"WTF has this got to do with 2ZZ engine swaps?

Well its quite obvious really  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:   Its gone off topic, due to a conversation about the 6 speed gearbox started by gavman and trouble with placement of the gears when pulling off of traffic lights, other people have commented on that as well.  Consider our wrists slapped everyone and back on topic please
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

red_leicester

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"i'm confused now,

i thought Jez gets annoyed by people in front who sit with the foot on the brake presumably because you get blinded by the brake light.

my thoughts were that if you put the handbrake on, do you not get lights at the rear come on as well.

i could be wrong.

it is early, just got up, and sat in my dressing gown typing nonsense

12.45pm still in your dressing gown??!!

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

how are you finding this swap mate now that its been a few months?
did you ever get that dyno figure/graph?

Wabbitkilla

[MOD]This isn't the place to take out personal grievances, and there is a place for Feedback ... but i've left it here as Gavman has aired some problems, and Patrick has succinclty responded. This thread is about 2ZZ conversions not a place to rant. Unnecesary continuation of the rant has been removed to maintain some kind of flow.. It would seem that things can go wrong, but should b e dealt with in a timely manner rather than laying the blame at someone elses door. [/MOD]
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

loadswine

.[MOD] Topic temporarily locked due to recent posts. We are discussing the matter and will sort thread accordingly as soon as we can

[MOD] EDIT
The feedback nature posts from Gavman and reply by Rogue are now in buyer and seller feedback on the thread below:
 l viewtopic.php?f=41&t=30242 l
anyone wishing to view that feedback can go to that thread to read what has been posted. Other posts have been removed and no further posts of this nature will be permitted on this thread and the feedback thread has one post each from both customer and supplier. No further posts allowed there either.
This has been discussed with committe and mods and the decision is final.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Re:
Quote from: "Rogue"
Quote from: "SteveM"Patrick any news on prices yet, or on power figures from Gavs car on the dyno at Thor?

I'll let Gavin post up his dyno figures when he's ready!

Rogue Motorsport Ltd

for the record, the reason these were never posted was patrick failed to provide them to me, despite numerous requests

Wabbitkilla

[MOD]Ok it seems sensible discussion has ended, feedback has been supplied by Gav and Rogue have responded. It is obvious that a grudge remains and the forum is not the place to continually attack another member. Topic locked, which is a shame as it is interesting to see the approach from a technical point of view. [/MOD]
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: