2zz engines and Rogue's Services, with images

Started by northernalex, October 10, 2006, 10:45

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"I was referring to the fact that to get the best out of the 2zz you need to keep the revs up which doesnt make for a relaxing drive.

Anyone here buy a Roadster so they could have a relaxing drive?

Anyone?

Thought not.

Glad you're happy with the finished car Gavman. I must admit, due to my circumstances having changed somewhat recently, this thread is currently interesting me a great deal, so I'd love to hear what you think of the car after a week, a month etc. Be nice to get a good writeup for the website too, if you fancy it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "dieamond"I'm sooo in a hurry to get my 6spd egarbox !!

2ZZ + Euro 5spd is crap  s:-( :-( s:-(

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether a J-spec 5speed box would be any better due to the slightly different ratios, or any worse for that matter? I'm just trying to decide if I'm going to do this conversion or go turbo, and obviously the cost of a 6speed box adds a fair bit to the over budget required so I was hoping to get away with keeping my 5speed?

By the way I went to Rogue yesterday to have a chat to Patrick and was lucky enough to get a ride in Gavs car! I can therefore confirm everything Gav has said, it's a LOT quicker than a 1zz and sounds amazing  s:D :D s:D  It just revss, and revs, and revs.....! Overall I was really impressed with it, and I must add that the work and thought put into the conversion by Rogue seemed to be first class plus Partick and Matt are both really nice guys.

Anyone know of any low mileage 2zz engines for sale!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

markiii

seeing as how teh US and J-spec ratios are teh same I'd say it will be a problem.

all the gusy in teh us have swapped to teh celica box
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

red_leicester

Quote from: "Rogue"We'll sit down and work out prices and timescales

Patrick, looks like you have one very satisfied customer there!

Will Rogue be offering a 'turnkey' solution i.e. drive the car to Rogue on Monday morning and drive it home on Friday afernoon with a 2ZZ under the lid and a 6-speed box?

Or would the customer need to source the engine and gearbox themselves?
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

Mark - thanks for the reply, I guess that's what I was expecting but not wanting to hear  s:( :( s:(  

Jez - after speaking to Patrick yesterday yes this will be an option, however they are just as happy for you to supply your own parts if you wish. He did say though that both the engines and boxes can proove quite hard to source and they've had experience of ordering a 2zz and being sent a 1zz as the supplier didn't seem to know the difference!

dieamond

Quote from: "markiii"seeing as how the US and J-spec ratios are the same I'd say it will be a problem.

all the gusy in the us have swapped to the celica box

+1
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Anonymous

dieamond

how did Rogue do the shift linkage modification ?
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia

Anonymous

i'd be inclined to let rogue answer that one

it's an area that could merit further development

all too easy to mix 1st and reverse currently

at the lights keeps the car behind guessing!

dieamond

Quote from: "gavman"i'd be inclined to let rogue answer that one

Oh so you "lost" the reverse "lock" there's on Celicas

Anonymous

give adam (jap gt300) a pm. he had several on the shelf when we last spoke

Anonymous

yes, i have lost the reverse "lock"

dieamond

Quote from: "gavman"

give adam (jap gt300) a pm. he had several on the shelf when we last spoke

I ordered one from Little Rocket on Spyderchat in august and I'm still waiting for it  s:-( :-( s:-(

Adam sold me a broken 2ZZ and was really bad on customer service so I avoided him this time.

Anonymous

a certain amount of cajoling was required

but he was half the price anyone else quoted me

and the only one with stock

Anonymous

hope i am not being a noob or anything, but will the conversion alter the roadsters 50:50 weight distribution?

Anonymous

technically speaking        nope

Anonymous

ok, i'm not sure whether i should start a new thread here. i'll let the mods decide

for i have a question for the techheads

is it possible to stroke my 2zz to 1.9 by using the crank from my 1zz engine?

has anyone done it?

might swing the old 2zz v turbo debate

although i've always thought in terms of 2zz then turbo

speaking of which,
i've two 28/60's on my gtr, each one rated for 350hp.
it's a 3 litre engine, so that means 1.5 litre per turbo
and this is reckoned to be the most responsive (smallest) setup around
so a 1.8 or 1.9 with the same GT28rs should be a very happy engine indeed; quick spooling with an easy 350atfw to be had? i'm sure this has been done...
but i digress
the main question is whether i can stroke my 2zz with my 1zz crank?
it's just sitting there, and to buy one would be thousands- £3500 for a cheap skyline one i know first hand!
so it'd be mad not to use it if i can??  s:?: :?: s:?:

gav

markiii

I beleive teh 1zz crank can be used yes.

ref teh turbo even teh gt28r doesn't spool as fast as you'd think.

if I were doing teh turbo again I'd be looking at a hybrid such as Thors GT25/28 on which teh spool is much better
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

philster_d

hmmm mine spools in a blink

markiii

I'm going to post teh overlay of mine against Niegle PE in a mo then you will see what I mean,

it's not slow, but it's not quick either

Anonymous

has anyone done the crank swap?

what else would i need?

would it prevent the car from revving so high?

seems to me it would increase torque...

Anonymous

rod bell reckons the gtr will make 1 bar @2500rpm

i do get my GT28r and my GT28rs mixed up

i meant the 350hp as opposed to the 400hp version

rod just calls them 28/60's,

but they're aka disco potatoes (!)

Anonymous

The 28R makes 10psi at just under 4000rpm: The RS will make that at about 4500 (ish), and that's not even 1bar (which is 14.7psi). 1bar at 2500 with the R isn't going to happen. The 350hp will def be the RS version.

markiii

Gav, there is porecious little info on teh crank swap.

it is often refured to as a 3zz engine, thoug be carefull as I beleive there an actual toyota engine with that designation as well.

happy to help as far as I can but I think there is liekly to be more knowledge on this one on SC

however ys a longer stroke will give more torque, but you may lose a little of teh rev happiness of teh 2zz.

looking at Web3s posts on SC I think an supercharger will better suit the nature of teh 2zz than a turbo

Anonymous

Quote from: "gavman"i'd be inclined to let rogue answer that one

Gav I must admit I noticed this when Patrick took me out in your car and to be honest it did worry me a little. Perhaps Patrick can let us know if they intend to develop it further? For me even small niggles like this could put me off  s:( :( s:(   Does anyone know if the guys in the US have this problem with the Little Rocket shaft?

Tags: