2ZZ vs. Turbos vs. Superchargers

Started by Ernie Ball, October 10, 2006, 18:07

kanujunkie

Quote from: "paul price"you dont want to go over about 250hp anyway. so is the extra 50 or 60 hp worth all the extra money and time a turbo takes over a 2zz? i think so  s:P :P s:P  .

Phils just touching the 250Bhp mark and i'm willing to bet he'll say he could do with more  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

plus for the record, a 2ZZ takes longer to install than a 1ZZ turbo, its a complete engine replacement after all, but the wireings the problematic side on a 2ZZ. The turbo 1ZZ wireing is now a plug n play harness eliminating all the issues, after that its a nuts and bolts job
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "paul price"you dont want to go over about 250hp anyway. so is the extra 50 or 60 hp worth all the extra money and time a turbo takes over a 2zz? i think so  s:P :P s:P  .

Phils just touching the 250Bhp mark and i'm willing to bet he'll say he could do with more  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

plus for the record, a 2ZZ takes longer to install than a 1ZZ turbo, its a complete engine replacement after all, but the wireings the problematic side on a 2ZZ. The turbo 1ZZ wireing is now a plug n play harness eliminating all the issues, after that its a nuts and bolts job
What power are you currently running on yours Stu  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

not sure too be honest, i started fitting the boost controller yesterday at Marks and will finish it today, after that a tune and i'd then expect something near Phils 250Bhp, at the mo though i reckon its sub 200Bhp as its only running 3psi, my aim is to take her up to 10 psi asap  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

if you buy the 2zz swap kit from Little Rocket you get a plug and play wiring harness converter for yiour 2zz swap as well
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

oh ok, that must be new. I'd still say its quicker to do a 1ZZ turbo than a 2zz engine swap
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

I'd agree

a 1zz turbo is mainly exaust work

that said, if I could have got it insxured at the time I would have 2zzed in preference, should I blow my engine in teh near future thats what is going in.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

kanujunkie

yeah right, 2zz, i know what you'd rather have?   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

bring on the camry!!
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

2zz is easy, other options ar elong term  :-) :-) :-)

kanujunkie

i'll work on you yet Jones  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

red_leicester

This is a little bit off-topic, but I wonder why Toyota didn't offer 1ZZ and 2ZZ in the Roadster, as they did in Celica?

Economies of scale maybe... does the Celica sell alot more than the 2 ?
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

markiii

2zz is harder to drive in a roadster in that it requires more commitment and skill to handle teh transition to lift.

the roadster target market was unlikely to have either

red_leicester

Quote from: "markiii"the roadster target market

Hairdresser's, y'mean ?   s:D :D s:D
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "red_leicester"
Quote from: "markiii"the roadster target market

Hairdresser's, y'mean ?   s:D :D s:D

wash your mouth out you  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

i'm no hairdresser, it falls out too quickly for that  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

filcee

Quote from: "red_leicester"This is a little bit off-topic, but I wonder why Toyota didn't offer 1ZZ and 2ZZ in the Roadster, as they did in Celica?
Quote from: "markiii"2zz is harder to drive in a roadster in that it requires more commitment and skill to handle the transition to lift.
TC/VSC fitted as standard? The standard set up on my 1zz SMT is very good - doesn't intrude, but does save your bacon when required to do so.  No reason why it wouldn't be just as effective in a 2zz variant.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Tem

Just wanted to mention that it seems most of you are comparing a used engine to new turbokit. I'm not really sure if that's a fair comparison...even if that's what most buy.

I paid about £1.5k for my turbokit. A used one. Top Secret kit, with the intercooler and turbo exhaust options. Also included Blitz 550cc injectors, GReddy boost controller, GReddy turbo timer, boost gauge, colder Iridium plugs, baffled oil pan, the crankcase ventilation valves, probably something I've already forgotten and of course the tune for it. (a used PFC would've also been cheap, but already had one) The kit with the given tune is good for some 300hp. That's what many feel is safe with the stock engine. The turbo itself seems to be good for some 450hp as proven by many, but not with the stock engine, it just can't take that.

And to be fair, even if you can get a 2ZZ for fairly cheap, it's not your only cost. Be fair, when you calculate your expenses and don't ignore the "only few dozens or hundred(s)" options needed.  s:? :? s:?  I did and realized the 2ZZ just gets too expensive for what it is. I was seriously interested in it, but I didn't feel it delivers enough for the money, compared to boost.

About reliability, surely a 2ZZ wins there if you keep it stock. But the minute you get the mentioned PFC, it's very hard to argue if it's more reliable than a turbo with mild power. I'm sure a 200hp turbo is more reliable than the stock 1ZZ with precats though.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

enid_b

if i were to mention a 2zz with a turbo would i be stupid, im sure someone will try it one  day - if its not been done already.

personally, stock power is more than enough to give me the permagrin.  although having recently travelled in spit's devil machine it did make me wonder.

sadly i only matched one number on the uber lottery last night so its NA and stock power for me.

i think i would like to see a V6 in there.  ive seen pics on the interweb, but seeing one in the flesh would get my juices going.

E
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

Tem

Quote from: "enid_b"if i were to mention a 2zz with a turbo would i be stupid, I'm sure someone will try it one  day - if its not been done already.

It's been done, at least in US, don't recall anyone in UK though..
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

hell of a lot of work, but thats said I do keep hearign these little voices  :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"

i did not say you could not go with more than 250, i said you will not want to go much over it. you can push the motor as far as you want to, but just be ready to rebuild, or replace that n/a motor.

and yes, a 2zz does take longer to install than a turbo (only), but  the turbo is the easy part to install. by the time you change your injectors, fuel pump, clutch, fuel managment, tuning...etc..etc, you will have much more time in the turbo.

kanujunkie

i see what you mean Paul, but if your the same as me then it wouldn't matter either way, they'res always another project to play with  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

or should i call that another money pit  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"i see what you mean Paul, but if your the same as me then it wouldn't matter either way, they'res always another project to play with  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

or should i call that another money pit  s:? :? s:?

lol, you got me pegged!

Anonymous

So this is where Paul hangs out when he's on the rig and not on spyderchat!  s:P :P s:P  

Okay, I now have my obligatory post.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tags: