17" and you get a puncture. What happens next?

Started by evileye_wrx, October 28, 2006, 16:11

philster_d

remember you can let the tyre down if its going in the frum damaged

VVT-i

Quote from: "aaronjb"I found it somewhat amusing that the tyre place by me now sells Holtz tyre foam stuff.. considering I was under the impression that tyre fitters hated the stuff because of the mess it made!

How true is that   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Some of these products is a white milky stuff, some is a really thick green jelly.. and there are those that are in between.
When we are trying to repair a punctured tyre that has had these products put inside them, we have to get a hose and a bag of rags out, if there is any trace of this stuff on the area of the tyre that we need to repair then the repair will fail. We do have to get it ALL out because it also has an adverse affect when we try to balance the wheel again, wheel balance is all to do with weight, and this stuff has to weigh something, you spin the wheel on the balancer and it tells you how many grams to put on the wheel, put the weights on and spin it again and it still requires more weights... the stuff inside the tyres just keeps moving around so you can't balance them.... same thing goes if you put this stuff in at the roadside or when you get a tyre fitted, its impossible to balance the wheel properly. For the stuff to do its job properly (sealing punctures you haven't picked up yet as well as the one you have) it has to continually coat the inside of the tyre, for this to happen there must be some in the tyre to float around.. this weighs "X" amount and continually moves around knocking the balance out all the time.

I will just use my spare wheel... and Ekona.. keep the RAC membership up to date   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Ekona"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "dreambackup"the problem is you only have the passenger seat for the replaced wheel. but it's the same problem with the OEM 16" rear (at least: I can tell because I had one!): they don't fit in the frunk...
It's surprising that Toyota did this; you learn something new everyday  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Don't worry Heath, I can confirm that the 16" OEM wheel DOES fit in the frunk happily, as I had to do it when I got a puncture.

Maybe Dreambackup forgot to take the space saver out first before trying to get the 16" one in...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Would a 17" not fit in then with the lower profile rubber on it  s:?: :?: s:?:  

Btw, I'm fascinated about the opinions on the puncture repair sealant in this thread as that's what Vauxhall supplied with the VXR, so that's my only back up in case of a puncture. After reading through all the info here, I think I may very well just ring the RAC and get them to come and get me instead of risking it.
Would a 17" not fit in then with the lower profile rubber on it  s:?: :?: s:?:  

Editted my placing of the question  s:? :? s:?  HELP
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I blew a 17" front tyre one time driving on some back roads around Connamara. Thank God we got it in the front trunk as I was driving around Ireland with a mate for 5 days and the passanger footwell was stuffed with a gym bag already!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The Sidewall had just blew so their was very little air in it when we got it in but it fitted with ease. It was a front 205/40 but I'd imagine a rear tyre should still go once you let all the air pressure out. After all your going to have to take it to a tyre fitter anyway.

Handeling wasn't great but was able to get an old 215 tyre fitted for €10 in Clifden (No such think as a low profile 205 in Clifden, after seeing some of their roads I know why!). 215 felt a lot better and got me the remaining 250 ish miles home but rubbed when over the rough spots.

Anonymous

VVT-i

Dare i sa it?.. I rest my case.

I doesn't matter if you follow the instructions with these products or not... most of them don't work.
2005 MR2 Roadster  (Black)
P.E. Turbo and other stuff that gives 234BHP  \";)\"

Quote from: \"Wabbitkilla\"Mine is a bit stiff when cold, but once it\'s warmed up it slips in nicely.

evileye_wrx

So, to summarise the Thread. The best thing to do if you get a puncture when running 17" Wheels is just to use the space saver wheel that is already there. This is better than a 16" stock Alloy.

Oh, and definitely DO NOT use a can of Tyre Sealant or you will really upset VVT-i   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Tags: