Quick Poll - Tyres - how long did your's last from new?

Started by Anonymous, November 1, 2006, 10:42

Anonymous

Hi - 2 months into MR2 Ownership, just taking stock of the tyre situation.  Mines a '04 model.

I had new rears fitted - the original old ones were legal, just, so replaced as part of the deal with MRT.  This was at 36.5K miles - not bad I guess.

The fronts, are original as far as I can tell (the service history shows them slowly wearing out from new) and at 37.5K miles, they still have 3.5mm in the middle ann outer edge and 3mm at the inner.  So good for a little while longer.

So - mine, 36.5K rears.   Probably approx 40K for the fronts.

Does this sound good?  Does you think it was driven gently by it's previous owner?  I usually reckon on 20-30K for the fronts based on previous cars.

How about you?

aaronjb

That sounds insanely high to be honest..  I can only imagine it was driven like a granny for it's entire life to get anything like that mileage out of the tyres - heck, even all motorway miles I'd not expect them to last that long.

Budget to change them every 10-15k I'd say, some folks get through them quicker than that.. that's roughly how long the Toyo's lasted for me.

And incidentally when you change them - change all four.. tyres that badly mismatched, even if you go for the same type, will give you interesting handling (tyres go off with 'age' as well as mileage).
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Depends on the tyres I guess, the ones the dealer stuck on mine are showing no signs of wear after 10K, I wish they would as I want to replace them with something better!!

heathstimpson

Yes that was extremely high mileage for a set of rubber  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I got about 24K and that was with a lot of motorway driving.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

GSB

Demolished 4 full sets of tyres now, 15,000 miles is about the limit, with an average mix of sensible and "entertaining" driving, but without venturing onto a track.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

spit

I've been consistently getting high mileage out of Eagle F1s over the past 4 years. Ditto for original brake pads (still going strong).

Love,
Granny  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

darrenjuggins

Hmmm, them figures do sound high....

The Yoko's wear out really quick and the Bridgestones take a little longer.

You will normally find, that the front will last approx 15 to 20, but will tramline at the end of thier life.

As for the rears, well anywhere between 7 and 20 depending on your driving style, I get about 12 to 15 if i'm lucky and I don't really drive hard.

So either the set up on that car is A1 or else it's been driven very slowly or carefully, or you missed some paperwork saying they had been changed.

I normally get through 2 sets of rears to a set of front (I remain on Bridgestone RE040s for information).

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

ninjinski

My last set of Yokos lasted 6000 miles   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

And its taken me three weeks to find a replacement set due to a shortage -   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

The Advan Neovas should be in the country next week praying for no rain at the moment!!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

kanujunkie

10-15k normally a set for me, but if you include a trackday then 6-8k max
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

The stock Yoko's lasted about 16k on our '2 from new. The fronts had a little bit of life left in them, but I changed all four for Toyo's, which handled horrendously until they got bedded in, and are now great.

mrsmr2

My RE040s lasted 15k miles which included three track days.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Quote from: "darrenjuggins"Hmmm, them figures do sound high....

or you missed some paperwork saying they had been changed.

Darren J

No, it's true.  Looking back at Toyota's free safety reports:

10K Miles   Front 6mm, Rear 6mm
20K Miles   Front 5mm, Rear 3.5 mm
30K Miles   Front 4.5mm, Rear 3 mm   - Advisory "rears getting low"
36K Miles   Front 4mm , Rears Replaced  (when I took ownership)

Now @ 37.5K miles, the fronts are 3.5mm, and I am thinking about replacing them a bit "early", so I have a new set all round.  I guess they don't owe me anything.

Anyone used Etyres recently?  They are quoting £145ish all in for a pair of front Bridgestones.

Cheers.

roger

Snap, after 2 years and 10K miles MrT also said I had 6mm all round (front & rear, middle and sides).

Obviously a well balanced car, with a well balanced driver (or a crap technician)!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quote from: "adetri"Anyone used Etyres recently?  They are quoting £145ish all in for a pair of front Bridgestones.

Thought I would get here before someone else does.  Just used the search and http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12050&highlight=etyres

Very good - thanks!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "adetri"
Quote from: "darrenjuggins"Hmmm, them figures do sound high....

or you missed some paperwork saying they had been changed.

Darren J

No, it's true.  Looking back at Toyota's free safety reports:

10K Miles   Front 6mm, Rear 6mm
20K Miles   Front 5mm, Rear 3.5 mm
30K Miles   Front 4.5mm, Rear 3 mm   - Advisory "rears getting low"
36K Miles   Front 4mm , Rears Replaced  (when I took ownership)

Most change them around 3mm as the Bridgestones tramline really badly from this depth  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Ive had around 25000 out of the rears (changed last month) fronts have still got life in them (fronts and rears were bought togther last time) Oh thats with Bridgestone Potenza RE040's

heathstimpson

Quote from: "theWizard"Ive had around 25000 out of the rears (changed last month) fronts have still got life in them (fronts and rears were bought togther last time) Oh thats with Bridgestone Potenza RE040's
Yes the stock RE040's since to last longer than many other brands  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

t-bone

Quote from: "spit"I've been consistently getting high mileage out of Eagle F1s over the past 4 years. Ditto for original brake pads (still going strong).

Love,
Granny  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

questions: are you putting those on stock wheels? what sizes did you fit?

I have stock re0404s with about 28K on them. the back are nearly toast but the fronts have some life in them still. An Ok tyre but would maybe like a change.
2004 Red MT. JDM badging, Door Inserts, Dev\'s Keyhole covers, Goof-off visor airbag sticker removal, TRD quick-shift, Speed Source shift bushing, Speed Source shift knob (190g red), Corky\'s breast plate, Che FSTB. Thus far.

Wabbitkilla

I'm just about to change my tyres.

Current stock RE040's are worn out at 17K Miles on the back, fronts seem to have about that left in them.
Now i know from what's been said above that's a bit low for RA040's, but maybe i've been having more fun than the rest of you  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Just getting T1R's fitted 195 at the front 225 at the back.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tem

IIRC, I'm on my 4th set. Have about 30k miles on the car.  s8) 8) s8)

All funmiles, no commuting.  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

rmowbray

I get about 10k from the rears and about 18 from the front, on Toyo's.

Wabbitkilla

Well considering they're about half the price of the Bridgestones fitted, then seems fair to me.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Just about to hit 40K miles and the fronts are still legal (3mm) and original (see above conversation)... but I am now finally going to get them replaced with new Bridgestones.  Looking at between £70 and £80 per tyre fitted...

I have only had it since 36K miles, so previous owner must have been very gentle with it (shame he/she wasn't so gentle with the clutch which had to be replaced...)....  I've got a feeling I won't get 40K out of the next set!

Something of a record though don't you think?

Anonymous

Just fitted 2 x rear GF Goodrich at £138 with insurance against damage from ATS. Currently on 30k miles and reckon I got 10K out of the GF Goodriches that were on when I bought her. I have been booting it though at every roundabout  and windy stretch in the summer!! Can't help it just feels so good.

kanujunkie

last set of Toyo's were just changed at the measly total of 6k!, must stop drifting  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: