Che header

Started by dreambackup, November 7, 2006, 17:27

dreambackup

some of you must already be equiped but for the others looking for a cheap way to get rid of the "cats" without getting their hands dirty, this seems the way to go.

I received mine today, here are some pics...

oh, by the way: I paid 275USD delivered to my door  s8) 8) s8)  

[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

rtbiscuit

looks really nice,

am torn at the moment do i either go for the che manifold, or do i go for the PPE manifold and hi flow cat,

decisions, decisions!

not in a position for next 2 months, just bought 4 new tyres, and have a PPE CAI on group buy that when it goes through i have to pay for.

any recommendations would be most welcome,

Che Header or PPE header
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

northernalex

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"and have a PPE CAI on group buy that when it goes through i have to pay for.

Yeah if we could get another 2 people interested!!  s:) :) s:)   s:( :( s:(

Dreambackup, you always seem to show the best images on here, it looks fab.  Are you a professional photographer at all?  s:) :) s:)   Or just a good eye  s:) :) s:)  ?
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

dreambackup

no, no, not a pro (and if you could / wanted to check the dates / time on the pics, you'd see it took me less than 3 minutes to shoot!!!).

I'm glad you like my pics anyway!

off topic but who cares: you'll love the PPE CAI  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

rtbiscuit

i'm sure i will, and i really want it, just can't work out why we cant get 2 more people.

has everybody already got one, or what.

any way back on topic,

should i get CHE or PPE

(always me me me!)

Previous cars:

markiii

PPE for noise and power, che for safety and maybe a smidgen of power
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

could you quantify that please Mark?  (assuming you're talking manifolds?)

If I go turbo then i have a manifold sorted, but if I was to go with the SC route then I would be looking for a replacement manifold, and as you know i'm not up to date with latest offerings

rtbiscuit

how much is the PPE again without the cat.

cant make my mind up if its worth doing both. while its in pieces change both!

Previous cars:

dreambackup

yes, I'd like to add the PPE is 400$ where the Che is 220$...

the PPE needs O² sensor modification and is a 4 to 1.

Che's header is plug and play, you even keep the heat shield. you just won't get the 8whp claimed by PPE... even if a slight gain can be expected...

rtbiscuit

have you fitted your CHE yet, easy job or not

Previous cars:

dreambackup

no I received it this afternoon...

but I'll let you know when it's in the car  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

rtbiscuit

be interested if you notice improvements.

don't want to gut the pre cats, i think that will effect the power of the car giving it a hollow chamber to gust into.

and i know the pros and cons of both, PPE flex joint and 4 into 1 and o2 sensor stuff. price

che gasket issues, not sure on power gains.

i hate these decisions, cos i know how long i mull things over for. i know i want to up the power of the vehicle, but don't really want to pay out turbo prices. but then should i save the pennies and turbo AHHHHHHHHHH!

no must not turbo, want to stay N/A

Previous cars:

dreambackup

2ZZ then  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

rtbiscuit

i'd be interested to see what they come out price wise form that company that are doing one at the mo.

just feel its a waste of my current engine only having 25000 on the clock.

like to be taken out in a 2zz conversion, want to know what the difference is (how the butt dyno reads)

and would my h&S still be compatible with it?

Previous cars:

Anonymous

I installed the che header on my car, was pretty easy swap out, all bolts and studs needed are included, but its reccomended you get a new main gasket, and lots of liquid wrench to loosen up everything (soaked mine every 2 hours for a day and a half). On SpyderChat theres a pre/post dyno of just gutted cats that showed about 3-4 hp increase, I can guess that the Che header might net you an extra one or 2 beacuse it dosent have the open empty space and would flow smoother, even if not as smooth as the equal length ppe.

markiii

Quote from: "perry190"could you quantify that please Mark?  (assuming you're talking manifolds?)

If I go turbo then i have a manifold sorted, but if I was to go with the SC route then I would be looking for a replacement manifold, and as you know i'm not up to date with latest offerings

I was refering to the question, PPE CAI or Che Manifold

however if your looking at PPE ro Che manifold with a supercharger, Web3.0 on SC got very good results with teh PPE
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

rtbiscuit

me thinks the che is the more sensible option! and price.

could always go hi flow cat after!

intrested to see what dreambackup thinks of the noise of his car with ppe CAI and che manifold. if it makes a diff or not.

i think it will sound sweet on my car with my twin h&S and PPE CAI, and a new manifold.

my exhaust is good, but feel it still doesn't sound sporty enough!

Previous cars:

Anonymous

Hi Guy's

Interesting thread, I've got a che fitted, experienced all the problems with the gasket, rattling heat shields, distorted flange faces to name a few.

My conclusion is you pay your money and take your chance, I've considered the PPE route but don't like the joint, Hayward & Scott looks good but has no heat shield, so the solution I'm looking at is a 4 into 2 (equal lenghts) in 2mm 304 ss made by Zero Exhaust, fitted with a top mounted heat sheild, it will also have oversized pipes to stop the resonance wave going back into the head - Che doesn't do this and I'm not sure about the H&S and PPE - I stand to corrected of course.

This will be a direct replacement as is the H & S and Che are, so you can either retain the main cat or remove it. I'm thinking I might run de-catted once SP have sorted the sensor issue out.

As for the costs I've been quoted £425 + vat for a group buy of 6, ok you will need to mod the O2 sensors but that's just soldering.

As I said you pays your money, so here's another alternative with some race proven experience included.

rtbiscuit

see for that kind of money o'd rather get the PPE and hi flow ccat that they do, and its a direct replacement. plus i'v not heard any have any problems with the ppe.

heat sheild wise i thought the ppe could have the original put back in place.

and would some one mind telling me what difference their is between 4-1 and 4-2 manifolds.

the flex joint on the PPE shouldn't cause any problems as long as its not put under loads of tension or compression.

Previous cars:

Anonymous

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"see for that kind of money o'd rather get the PPE and hi flow ccat that they do, and its a direct replacement. plus i'v not heard any have any problems with the ppe.

heat sheild wise i thought the ppe could have the original put back in place.

and would some one mind telling me what difference their is between 4-1 and 4-2 manifolds.

the flex joint on the PPE shouldn't cause any problems as long as its not put under loads of tension or compression.

The joint prep I think is a problem if you use your existing cat.

4 into 2 is 4 pipes merging into two, which will then mate up to the original cat, 4 into 1 is the same except they merge into one pipe.

I don't think the PPE have brackets for heat shields

rtbiscuit

i knew what it meant pipe wise as in how many pipes and what they go into.

i was wondering if their is any mechanical difference, does it affect the power curve, improve torque etc.

i think if cutting the cat is involved your trying to persuade me to go for ppe with Cat.

lucky mrs passion isn't reading, he seems to know when my wallet needs lightening, not bought anything yet, but he keeps flashing new shiney things up, the temptation is getting harder to resist.

so to make myself feel better i just bought a jdm hood badge from flea bay to cheer myself up.

am still waiting for my dev keyhole covers, and by club sticker, but i only ordered it the other day.

am looking forward to adding new bits. it gets addictive  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Previous cars:

Anonymous

Anybody know how much the insurance hike is, I got stung £38 for about 5 months remaining policy and thats without any real power gain.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

rtbiscuit

so have you fitted it yet, whats it like,

i have decided to get one, just got to save up, something for the new year.

especially as i'm getting paranoid about the precats, think i might even start loosing sleep over it.

threads keep poping up, that worry me. i know its a rare occurance, but i'm papranoid i'm next.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Previous cars:

dieamond

There are 12 users of the Che header in France
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

Chris

after reading lots of previous threads on the subject of replacement manifolds, it would seem that the che has the advantage of the dual o2 ports, but there are some reported operational problems (fgrob i think..)

How widespread are these problems?  could it be a bad design, and therefore count against the che in comparison to others or is it possible that the reported problems are one offs?

Diemond - do you sell both ppe and che?  do you have any insight about their reliability and whether problems are widespread?
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tags: