Reserve Tank!!!

Started by Anonymous, November 9, 2006, 03:51

Anonymous

how many litres Does The Reserve Tank Hold (once The Yellow Light Has Just Come ON!) On Average How Many Miles Do You Then Get Of Out The Reserve From Yellow To EMPTY?

Thx

Chris

GSB

Its Not A Reserve Tank As Such, Just A level Warning. PersoNally I've NeVer PUsheD it ThaT FAr OnCe The Light COmEs oN. ABout 20 mIlEs Is tHe lImit OF my BotTle... I iMagINe It'D gO furTHeR if YOu weRe GenTle With IT, but Whats The Point?

Wow, This is really hard to read when you put capital lettters in every single word...  s:? :? s:?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Probably different from car to car.  I have always (not sure if this right) believed that once you get that low, all the crud in the tank is being used!

Tem

Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Very impressive Tem, how did you find all those results?
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"Very impressive Tem, how did you find all those results?

I bookmark every thread I ever read, so I can easily access them again.

If only there was a search on this site..  s:? :? s:?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "GSB"Very impressive Tem, how did you find all those results?

I bookmark every thread I ever read, so I can easily access them again.

If only there was a search on this site..  s:? :? s:?

Now that's what I call funny!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

done just over 30 miles with the light on...

drove sensibly, CD player off some of the time, didn't use the AC...

only reason is cause i was running late for an interview   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

Hello, its something between 8 and 10 litres, but be careful: the system is not very precise, and running dry is not so good for the fuelsystem as all kind of filth from the bottom of the tank, including some water, is drawn into the engine: Toyota advises to refuel at about a quarter full indication.

regards,
Henri

SteveJ

Quote from: "Henri737"Hello, its something between 8 and 10 litres, but be careful: the system is not very precise, and running dry is not so good for the fuelsystem as all kind of filth from the bottom of the tank, including some water, is drawn into the engine: Toyota advises to refuel at about a quarter full indication.

regards,
Henri

Just out of interest where do you think the pump sits in the tank?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

The only thing that might happen when you run low is :-

a) anything floating ON TOP of the fuel (and this excludes water which if present in the tank is the first think sucked up long before any fuel enters the engine). Anything in this category is likely to be considerably larger than the openings in the mesh on the bottom of the fuel pump.

b) air will get drawn in, which, if we could make the engine run on it alone, would make me a VERY happy bunny, but we cant so the engine stops which is about the worst thing that is going to happen when you run the tank low. The only detrminental effect is you look like a complete twit when the garage comes to tow away your car.

Can we stop this myth about running tanks low - unless the fuel pickup pipe is mounted in the float (which in the '2 it most definately isnt) there is no way this doom and gloom scenario can occur.

s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"
Quote from: "Henri737"Hello, its something between 8 and 10 litres, but be careful: the system is not very precise, and running dry is not so good for the fuelsystem as all kind of filth from the bottom of the tank, including some water, is drawn into the engine: Toyota advises to refuel at about a quarter full indication.

regards,
Henri

Just out of interest where do you think the pump sits in the tank?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

a) anything floating ON TOP of the fuel (and this excludes water which if present in the tank is the first think sucked up long before any fuel enters the engine). Anything in this category is likely to be considerably larger than the openings in the mesh on the bottom of the fuel pump.

b) air will get drawn in, which, if we could make the engine run on it alone, would make me a VERY happy bunny, but we cant so the engine stops which is about the worst thing that is going to happen when you run the tank low. The only detrminental effect is you look like a complete twit when the garage comes to tow away your car.

Can we stop this myth about running tanks low - unless the fuel pickup pipe is mounted in the float (which in the '2 it most definately isnt) there is no way this doom and gloom scenario can occur.

Steve,

just to clarify what you're saying, are you suggesting that it is perfectly safe for one to run their MR2 until there is no fuel in the tank, without worrying about a piece of crud getting through the fuel system and blocking an injector or scoring the cylinder walls perhaps?

Thanks,

Richie.

rtbiscuit

i run my tank low quite regularly, and i can get 50 miles with the light on, but that was one off, and i swear i was metres off from running out when i got to the fuel station.

i tend to watch the needle. if its on the line i'm fine, if i go under the line, count back from 10, and if your at one you better be within 20 yards of a petrol station.

their are fine mesh filters at the bottom of the tank, and if anything is small enough to get through, then it cant cause damage.

i also believe their is a filter at the top when you fill up,

so unless your feeding your recycling into the tank their shouldn't be a problem.

but on the other hand their is nothing wrong with playing safe and filling at quater of a tank.

i tend to get 350 miles to a tank full, so generally know when i need to fil up when i get to 300 miles.

but each to their own
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

SteveJ

Quote from: "Richie"
Quote from: "SteveJ"

regards,
Henri

Steve,

just to clarify what you're saying, are you suggesting that it is perfectly safe for one to run their MR2 until there is no fuel in the tank, without worrying about a piece of crud getting through the fuel system and blocking an injector or scoring the cylinder walls perhaps?

Thanks,

Richie.

Exactly  s:) :) s:)

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"their are fine mesh filters at the bottom of the tank, and if anything is small enough to get through, then it cant cause damage.

Au-contrair (sp?) mon capitain - anything small enough to get past the mesh filters is likely to be HUUUUGE compared to the injector orifice and is likely to block it.  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

we are meant to be using petrol?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

red_leicester

Quote from: "SteveJ"Just out of interest where do you think the pump sits in the tank?

I dunno.  Would you be so kind as to enlighten me Steve?
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

how the hell do you all get 300+ miles out of the tank?
i put £33.00 in 3 weeks ago i got 165 Miles! then my light came on
how am i getting 165 and you guys are getting Double?

Anonymous

i have a W Reg 2000 Model With 15,478 Miles might it be because the engine isnt properly worn in yet? hell the thought of a mr2 with 100k miles would terrifi me ahh well 85,000 miles till i get there LOL!

roger

Quote from: "Chris_Staley"how the hell do you all get 300+ miles out of the tank?
i put £33.00 in 3 weeks ago i got 165 Miles! then my light came on
how am i getting 165 and you guys are getting Double?

Need quantity not £. Lets assume 85p/L, so 39 L.

The tank holds 48 litres (I read), so if the £33 filled it up from light on to full, IMO the light is coming on when you have about 10 litres left.

If that's the case 38L (8.3 gal) over 165 miles is about 20mpg. How you rate that depends very much on your driving style and type of motoring, but IMO it is on the low side.

If you need to adjust your driving style to get better mpg, then I reckon you've bought the wrong car.    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

E&OE.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Beowulf

I have had a few tanks off in my time and in my experience there have been no VISIBLE particles in any tanks i have removed (in fact even on a rustbucket you can eat your dinner off the inside of a fuel tank,lol). There are paper filters inline to protect against fine particles getting through and in my experience running out of petrol a few times is not going to cause you a problem.
Entropy always increces.

2001 red 46K stock (apart from de-badging on my rear (ooh err)) never had a problem in 5 years!  (touches wood quickly)

rtbiscuit

i get roughly 36-38 mpg.

i dont drive like an old biddy either, is your car over fuling, running way to rich.

does it smell very petrolly when you drive, sit at lights etc.

even if you rag it you should get at least 30 mpg.

are you driving with it at 7000 rpm every where?

Previous cars:

Anonymous

I'm sure: petrol flotes on water!

Anonymous

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"i get roughly 36-38 mpg.

i dont drive like an old biddy either, is your car over fuling, running way to rich.

does it smell very petrolly when you drive, sit at lights etc.

even if you rag it you should get at least 30 mpg.

are you driving with it at 7000 rpm every where?

it might have something to do with me only doing 6 mile per day jurneys to works 40mph limit and 1,000,000 traffic lights!  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

I've done 365 miles on a tank - steady 80mph motorway.

From the light coming on I've done 55 miles at this speed before filling up - managed to get 46l in the tank = 2l still spare.

By extraploation = once the light comes on, assuming you arte motorway crusing you had better fill up in the next 70-80 miles or you are going to be in trouble.

Was more than I expected. I am also amazed at how frugal this car can be - it literally seems to sip the petrol if you are cruising at a steady speed - 36mpg as above. I'm sure this would go even higher if I stuck to 70mph.

rtbiscuit

most frugal cruising speed on the motorway is 55mph supposedly, and avoid heavy acceleration.

although with this car and the VVTI engine im not so sure. someone else should have a better idea than me.

Previous cars:

GSB

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"most frugal cruising speed on the motorway is 55mph supposedly, and avoid heavy acceleration.

although with this car and the VVTI engine I'm not so sure. someone else should have a better idea than me.

55mph is just a standard figure, used by testing institutions so that comparison can be made between different models. The most frugal speed actually differs from model to model, dependant upon various factors such as gearing and aerodynamics. I found when I crossed France that a 90-100mph cruise can return well over 30mpg.

Tags: