Reserve Tank!!!

Started by Anonymous, November 9, 2006, 03:51

FireFury

Quote from: "simonp"From the light coming on I've done 55 miles at this speed before filling up - managed to get 46l in the tank = 2l still spare.

I filled up for the first time last week and got 38 litres into the tank (the light had only come on a few miles before filling up), so it looks like I get about 10 litres left when the light comes on.  Although the guage needle is already at the bottom when the light comes on so there isn't any way to know how far into that 10 litres I am.
- Steve

rtbiscuit

i would disagree, at 90-100 you are not at optimal cruising speed, as the engine is under a heavier load. as the revs are up at 4500-5000 rpm.

at 55-65 the engine is at 3200 rpm. which is normally at the top end of economical rpm range. especially as your getting well over 30 mpg, with this engine you should be able to get easily 40 mpg if not more.

iv been getting 37-38 mpg with mixed driving some hard driving, cruising, and heavy town traffic.

as an addon i just read your car spec, the lower mpg is quite possible to your setup my appologies. especially as thats the kind of setup i'm aiming for.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Tem

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"i would disagree, at 90-100 you are not at optimal cruising speed, as the engine is under a heavier load. as the revs are up at 4500-5000 rpm.

I believe our engine itself is most efficient around 4300rpm. Take a look at dyno graphs or fuel charts, which both seem to imply that our max VE is thereabouts.

But if you're doing that 4300rpm on 5th (or 6th), the air resistance is probably more than killing the engine efficiency.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

GSB

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"i would disagree, at 90-100 you are not at optimal cruising speed, as the engine is under a heavier load. as the revs are up at 4500-5000 rpm.

Read it again... I never said that 90-100 was optimal, I said that the speed of 55mph so often quoted is simply a standard test figure, and that every car is diffferent... I then said that at a cruise of 90-100 I returned over 30 mpg. I never stated any optimal speed for the MR2. I cant.

The fact is, if you are that worried about it you should buy a diesel. I have found the '2 to be unusually economical in surprising situations. (see this post for some really surprising figures:   m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11970 m  )

If thats not frugal enough for you, you either bought the wrong car, or you're unusually mean!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

rtbiscuit

sorry feel we have some wires crossed,

may not have replied quite how i meant to.

i was trying to point out for other readers that the difference in MPG return varies at speed.

and i did miss read your post, my fault for working to many hours.

i am quite happy with the fuel economy of my car, especially as i know own a car that is faster than my previous and does better MPG.

and i would quite happliy see it go down if i got more power out of it.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

heathstimpson

Then again you don't buy a 2 to worry about getting decent economy by driving sensibly; rev the nuts of it and enjoy  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

red_leicester

Yeah, but 165 miles to a tank just ain't right.
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "red_leicester"Yeah, but 165 miles to a tank just ain't right.
No you can still get low 30's by having fun  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

red_leicester

Dead right.  That's about 250 miles to a tank, if not more.
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Anonymous

I have thrashed the t*ts off my car on country lanes and still managed to get 25mpg out of it.

In addition i usually get about 36MPG on a daily basis "normal" driving.

Tags: