Help loss of Power

Started by Anonymous, November 16, 2006, 11:38

Anonymous

Hi I've only noticed this this week but I'm kinda worried, Engine pulls normally in 1st and 2nd but feels kinda odd in 3rd. It pulls normally to 3000 then at 3100 drops surges again at 3200 drops at 3300 and then pulls again from about 3500 upwards. It also happens in 4th gear to but at different points. It dosn't always happen, but it feels like someones flicking a on/ off switch in around 3000 revs.

Could it be a traction issue rather than engine? Its been torrential around here all week and their is standing water bloody everywhere. I've reved the engine in Neutral and it seems to rev cleanly the whole way up.

Engine wise, I'm decatted with a ppe downpipe + cat, I've a markii inlet and Trd filter also. I decatted about 6 months ago. Its less than 3000 miles since my last garage service and oil change.

I'm thought I'd check the MAF first and then see what else but has anybody any suggestions?

kanujunkie

clutch?
dirty Maf?
ECU overfueling?
O2?

do you have a CEL?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

No Cel, Never Thought of the O2, haven't checked the wiring after the ppe install. How would I know if the ECU was overfueling? Also what could be wrong with the clutch

kanujunkie

when my clutch started going recently i started getting spots in 3rd and 4th where the revs would sharply rise, 5th and 6th were fine BTW, but is it a flat spot or is it a traction loss?

also when you installed the PPE and decatted did you reset the ECU after?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Yeah I Reset the Ecu when I fitted the PPE. This just feels like a flat part under medium acceleration, If I floor the trottle I don't really feel it. So how do I work out if its a clutch

kanujunkie

thats not your clutch then, for a clutch you'll see a spike in RPM under load, so your safe on that. I'd start with checking your MAF isn't dirty, if it is then it may not be fueling correctly, unlikely to be an o2 as they normally give a CEL
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

02s only give a cel if the heater circuit id down

if it's just plain fouled dirty it won't
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Carb cleaner all round then?

markiii

or a little petrol

cleab them and allow to dry thouroughly,

do you MAf at teh same time ad reset the ECU
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

It sounds to me like it is only happening when load and possibly RPM is in certain areas.  In lower gears the load will not get that high (normally).  It loses power momentarily, then recovers.  Maybe an air leak?  You've changed a lot of things that had to do with airflow.  I like the advice to clean everything, too.  While doing so I would check very carefully for air leaks.

Anonymous

Leaks in and around where?

Liz

Just driven my new (to me) one into work today - mine has a little blip at about 5500rpm, going to clean the MAF to see if that helps mine out, goes fine apart from that!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

A few people have had strange problems that were traced to leaks in the airbox or intake manifold.  I would think there would be a code for any such problem.

Could you have gotten water in near the coils?

Anonymous

Cleaned the MAF earlier it looked ok but I give it a good blast of carb cleaner. Took her for a spin but was frustrated by 4pm traffic so can't really tell. I'll know better on the spin home.

I visually checked the air box and inlet pipe and everything looks ok but I'll have to wait for day light for a better look.

Going to sound Stooooooopid now  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

What are Coils Bernie?

In a "Car" sense! She's definitely a lady but I can't imagine Toyota fitting her with any lady bits!

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "Liz"Just driven my new (to me) one into work today - mine has a little blip at about 5500rpm, going to clean the MAF to see if that helps mine out, goes fine apart from that!

Just thought you'd let that one slip past us (along with your new sig), eh?

Congrats and welcome back!

Anonymous

Ignition coils: If you take off the plastic engine cover you'll see four separate coil packs going into the four cylinders. Water in these is rare, but could be a source of the problem.

Anonymous

It might be a long shot, but he said "Its been torrential around here all week and their is standing water bloody everywhere".  I have no idea what lady bits coils refer to, although I shall make a note of it for next time.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

rtbiscuit

kj, before you had RPM problems what did you think of the swap over to PPE, i'm thinknig of doing a similar thing with the hi flow cat etc.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

t-bone

just a though you can get the car above 5.5K right? if the RMP hit a wall at about that you might want to check your oil. how long has the PPE been on and what did the precats in the stock one look like?
2004 Red MT. JDM badging, Door Inserts, Dev\'s Keyhole covers, Goof-off visor airbag sticker removal, TRD quick-shift, Speed Source shift bushing, Speed Source shift knob (190g red), Corky\'s breast plate, Che FSTB. Thus far.

Anonymous

It must have been the MAF, the car seems much better today. Took her for a quick spin last nite and then a quick run this morning, all good but I'll be keeping an eye on her.

rtbiscuit, I like the PPE downpipe + catt its a nice piece of kit can't tell you its noticably faster than stock but it sounds good and rid me of pre cat worries which was my main worry. The precats looked ok once they where out.

Oil usage seems normal a liter every 1500 miles seems to be my average. By the way has anyone tried the new castrol edge sport Fully synt ow-40 I think.

Anonymous

Either that or the water evaporated.     s8) 8) s8)     Either way, good result.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Beanie"Either that or the water evaporated.     s8) 8) s8)     Either way, good result.

we wish, you should see the weather over here Kevin  s:( :( s:(
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Weather is freaky all over, but the weather always changes.  I am sure you heard about all the hurricane activity here last year and some the previous year, but this year... really nothing so far.  I bought a big fancy electric start generator last year and only started it in anger once.  Anyway, I know how miserable day after day of rain can be.  Where I grew up in Maine is not that different that the general area where you are.  We got basically 6 weeks of great summer weather and well over half of the year was too cold and/or rainy.

Anonymous

Hi Guys, Problem seems to be back.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

Spent the morning checking for leaks, Inlet system seems ok or at least I can't see anything. Checked the Coils too and now sign of water. Oil levels is normal and already checked MAF

However the clamp holding the PPE downpipe to the cat seems loose. I could feel the clamp move and rattle in my hand. I didn't have axle stands today so I left it. I'll have a go tomorrow night.

So could this be a factor? or am I completely chasing up the wrong tree?

Anonymous

That could be it.

Tags: