cloudy blue smoke

Started by Anonymous, November 24, 2006, 19:59

Anonymous

Hi everyone

Sorry but i'm a newbe to this forum and hope my message is ok??i'm wondering if anyone can help? i recently purchased a 2000 plate roadster with 30k on the clock with full toyota history. however occasionally on startup i notice a cloud of blue smoke coming from the exhaust which after driving for about 30 yards soon disappears? as i bought the vehicle from a reliable garage i took it straight back to query this??

The answer i was told is a common fault with MR2's? As its the way the engine is positioned close to the rear exhaust. apparently even toyota can verify this as many people have returned their new cars to be told exactly the same?

i have not contacted toyota yet but would like some advice first.

can someone please confirm if this is true as my first thought was the piston rings had gone or something??

any help would be great

many thanks

tim..

Silverman

Hi and welcome,
                      Sorry to report on the pessimistic side, but my Mk3 has done 10K miles and doesn't make smoke at all.  Hopefully you will get advice from some of our supertech members.  Good luck, S'man.
Sold after 4 great years......         04 \'2\', 6s, Silver, TTE Interior Trim Kit No 1, TTE Sports Twin Exhausts.

"An MR2 is good for you."

Anonymous

Hi welcome as well, you have come to the right place for advice these guys are good. Mines a 2002 with 30k and no smoke. The only thing I could think of was valve stem seals but I don't even know if the 2 has them  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   I had the same effect on a fiesta and new seals sorted that. Hope it's nothing too serious and doesn't put you off the best 2 seater around.

Anonymous

That sounds suspiciously like rubbish to me!

I had the same problem on one of my previous cars - caused by warn valve seals - oil would drip into the cylinder when engine was off and then be burned off when car was started.

This although would seem unlikely in a relatively low mileage and modern car.

Could well be piston rings, indeed there have been reports of early mk3's  suffering from uneven piston wear.

How does the car drive otherwise? What is the level and condition of the oil.

May also be worth checking the precats in the exhaust manifold.

Anonymous

thanks for the warm welcome

well the car seems to drive perfect, it is as new condition and having one mature lady owner i suspect it has possibly been driven just to tescos and back throughout all its life..lol... although it'd just be my luck she was an ex racing car champion!!

the oil is clear and the car was serviced around 3 months ago...i've not checked the pre cats yet although not sure whether it would have anything to do with the problem??

should i let toyota inspect the car?? and if work is required send it straight back to the garage purchsed to fix the problem???

kanujunkie

the 1zz has a problem with bores going oval, whilst yours is v.young for this its not the youngest. The pre-cats are a symptom of this caused by the oil building up and burning on them. Personally i'd get the car down to Mr.T asap, quicker if possible.
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

yep the longer you leave it the more chance of this leading on to something more serious!

And yes I agree with you - I'd definately be straight back to the garage I got it from beating down their door  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

well after everyones help/advice i've been to mr t today and the car is booked in for a free 30 minute inspection this coming wednesday, aparently they will check all steering, brakes etc... i did mention for them to check the pre cats too so fingers crossed they will find whatever the fault is...

anyone ever had any dealings with johnsons toyota in wallasey, wirral? i just hope they dont fob me off as the blue smoke is intermittant and its sods law it wont happen when they start it  s:( :( s:(

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "mr tmpn"well after everyones help/advice i've been to mr t today and the car is booked in for a free 30 minute inspection this coming wednesday, aparently they will check all steering, brakes etc... i did mention for them to check the pre cats too so fingers crossed they will find whatever the fault is...

anyone ever had any dealings with johnsons toyota in wallasey, wirral? i just hope they dont fob me off as the blue smoke is intermittant and its sods law it wont happen when they start it  s:( :( s:(

So they are checking the steering and brakes because the symptoms are blue smoke coming out of the exhaust?!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Some new type of holistic diagnosis or something?

Simon

Anonymous

the free 30 minutes inspection that mr t does has to include checking brakes, steering etc just as the check sheet showed that the receptionist got for me! if i'm getting a free road worthiness check of my car then who would refuse this?

in the additiional comments box on the check sheet she did include re: blue smoke..

Anonymous

Hi
I hope you don't need this but if you Google 'sale of goods act' and view the dti fact sheet you will find under 'key facts' that goods must conform to contract ie they must be 'as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality'. Blue smoke at any time coming out of a Toyota after 30K, unless this was pointed out to you or unless this is the norm for the particular Toyota (ask them to put it in writing?) would be difficult to describe as 'of satisfactory quality'. Just my opinion but hopefully it wont get this far.

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "mr tmpn"the free 30 minutes inspection that mr t does has to include checking brakes, steering etc just as the check sheet showed that the receptionist got for me! if i'm getting a free road worthiness check of my car then who would refuse this?

in the additiional comments box on the check sheet she did include re: blue smoke..

Ah right sorry, I thought you'd asked them to check the smoke thing and that's what they had come up with.

Have you checked the oil levels? although I thought oil smoke was black ish.

Simon

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Ah right sorry, I thought you'd asked them to check the smoke thing and that's what they had come up with.

Have you checked the oil levels? although I thought oil smoke was black ish.

Simon

oil smoke generally burns blue. Black smoke occurs if your air/fuel mixture is wrong  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

The free Mr T 30 point inspection is fairly useless unless you have something really obvious wrong (which you'd be able to spot yourself if you have any sense).

They always offer one whenever you have something wrong with the car but atleast it is free.

Have you ever watched one done?
The tech drives the car in whilst checking your lights, hazards, horn, wipers etc work.
He then checks your tyre pressures and tread depth, opens the engine bay and checks your oil levels and sticks his ear near the exhaust to make sure it sounds right.
All done - 5mins.
Checking precats, analysing exhaust gases and ECU diagnostics are all done at extra cost (well at my dealer anyhow)

I very much expect you will have a comment such as engine burning oil - recommend full diagnostic (which they normally charge at full hourly rate until a fault is found).

Anonymous

yes i've checked the oil and it seems ok, its at the top of the level and is a nice clear colour...

i am quite concerned about the free 30 min test now as if it is the 5min inspection as quoted above it'll be relatively useless for me as they prob wont find what i'm taking it in for!!

what do i do now? go with the free test and hope for the best? then re book it in for a full diagnostic if no fault found?? i'm just concerned about the price it'll cost..

admittedly paying Mr T a small sum could be in my favour if the engine is trashed so all in all i think i have no choice... i just need re assurance my car isnt dying!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "mr tmpn"yes i've checked the oil and it seems ok, its at the top of the level and is a nice clear colour...

i am quite concerned about the free 30 min test now as if it is the 5min inspection as quoted above it'll be relatively useless for me as they probably wont find what i'm taking it in for!!

what do i do now? go with the free test and hope for the best? then re book it in for a full diagnostic if no fault found?? i'm just concerned about the price it'll cost..

admittedly paying Mr T a small sum could be in my favour if the engine is trashed so all in all i think i have no choice... i just need re assurance my car isnt dying!!

perhaps a member who lives nearby you might be able to have a look for you and give you some guidance?

Could be worth clicking the "map" and if there is anybody nearby you then send them a PM, most people are only too happy to help.

Anonymous

well just as i suspected mr t could find no fault with the car.

so they have requested that i monitor the oil level for the next 1000k and bring the car back to them to do an oil check.

ah well, that now means i need to drive 1000 miles pronto in an amazing car... damn what a shame lol...  s:) :) s:)

Tags: