Which springs?

Started by davidhowson, December 8, 2006, 14:57

davidhowson

My recent day out with several of the guys around the lanes of Staffordshire, has made me realise just how good the MR2 looks and handles on better suspension.

Given Christmas in a couple of weeks, school fees and several other reasons why I shouldn't spend any more money on the 2, which of these do you  guys & girls think is the best:

TTE lowering springs (Via Toyota) £130 + fiting
Tein S Tech £141 + fitting
TRD 48130-ZW200 £270 +fitting

I am after less body movement - roll in cornering and pitch under braking & accelerating, better feel in corners and I'm not really bothered about harshness of ride (within reason!). I intend to leave on the stock shocks as they've only done 20k.

I'm tempted by the TRD which are quoted as being 59% firmer at the front and 97% firmer at the rear than stock, but - £270 ?
Would I really notice the difference between TRD and Tein spring rating?

What do you think??

Appreciate your thoughts.

markiii

if your only doing springs

TTE
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

I really don't know David, but just wanted to throw in the option of beefed-up droplinks (available from twosRus) as an additional consideration for your fat wallet  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob was impressed by the before/after comparison, as was Stu (although I think he did the whole anti-roll bar assembly too?).
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Wabbitkilla

I've just got a set of Tein S-Tech springs for £128 from Envy.
Getting them fitted this Wednesday (13th)

I'm looking for the same as you, so will have an opinion of their performace in a week or two's time.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"I really don't know David, but just wanted to throw in the option of beefed-up droplinks (available from twosRus) as an additional consideration for your fat wallet  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rob was impressed by the before/after comparison, as was Stu (although I think he did the whole anti-roll bar assembly too?).

Yep the drop links are worth every penny, I was going to up-rate the anti roll bar but after I fitted the new links to the std anti roll bar I just didn't think it was worth it, especially with the Tein suspension. You've followed me so you'll understand.

If you get your springs I'll fit them for you, so all you need to do is get the alignment checked, I think Demon Tweeks charge something like £56 who are not that far from you.

Rob

heathstimpson

I would go with the TTE's as these do make a large amount of difference and are the cheapest option  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

davidhowson

Thanks for your thoughts guys; looks like it's the TTE springs then.
Thanks also to Rob for the offer of help - I'll let you know...
I have also looked at twosRus and can only find Mk1 & Mk2 applications, unless I'm blind. I'll do the springs first and see about other bits later.
Does anyone have the part numbers for the TTE springs, so as to make sure I get the right ones ordered?

Thanks again.

David

Anonymous

Hi David

Try this link and when you go into the selection tables click on the arrow in the model / application boxes, that will bring up the MR2 Spyder selection.

m http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=105 m

Hope this helps
Rob

davidhowson

Thanks Rob. I was looking at twosrus.co.uk where the MkIII is not listed.
This may be a daft question, but do these bars only fit on the front of our cars?

Anonymous

Quote from: "davidhowson"Thanks Rob. I was looking at twosrus.co.uk where the MkIII is not listed.
This may be a daft question, but do these bars only fit on the front of our cars?

If you click on the application you will see back & Front links (-$34 if you select the front), so they only cost $66 for a front set and $99 for the back. You just need to make the change to the model selection at the bottom - MR2 Spyder.

Hope this makes sense

Rob

Anonymous

Hi David

Spring details, as stated in the "How too" section

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14056 m

Thanks
Rob

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"if your only doing springs

TTE

I could'nt agree more!