Which exhaust? TTE or SP?

Started by Leeber, December 10, 2006, 19:31

loadswine

The turbo definitely quietens the exhaust note down. Okay I have the PE turbo, with the TTE and a decat pipe. On a static test,it was one of the louder combos, but in practice, its really quite civilised. Need to listen to it with the hardtop off now.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

evileye_wrx

So, given that a downpipe is just a bit of pipe without a cat, do I need to spend £250+ on one from SP or will any old bit of pipe do to give the added BHP that I crave?

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

markiii

on an N/a it won't help
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

TommyD

Just a thought, but do you think the TTET was tuned to work with the TTE exhaust. Considering that combo was giving close to 200HP at the dyno day?
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

markiii

it may have been setup with that exhaust on, but I doubt it's optimal as TTE acknowledge that teh TTE is not a performance exhaust, and it's way too restrictive to be optimal.

however it may wekll help teh torque figures
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

If it is of help - mine is being dyno'd at SP on Wednesday, will post figures up.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Leeber

That'd be great, thanks Liz. Oh, and good luck with the bumper this time around.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"If it is of help - mine is being dyno'd at SP on Wednesday, will post figures up.

I wait with great interest!!   s8) 8) s8)

Leeber

Well, I've got the new motor, with stock exhaust and I must say I quite like it. Although the TTE exhaust looked better, and gave a few more bhp, I can't say I miss the noise all that much. I wonder if it's possible to get a custom exhaust that looks and performs like the TTE twin but sounds like the stock one?

Running for cover now!  s:? :? s:?

rtbiscuit

i thought the tte didn't give any extra horses?

but if you speak to h&s they will build you an exhaust and you can choose the tips on the end, so you could choose twin pea shooters if you wanted, it would change the noise!

if you speak to them and tell them you want quiet, i'm sure with their wealth of knowledge they can do that for you.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

loadswine

I have had chance to compare the TTE with the Magnex on my other 2 recently and I have to say that in normal use when warmed up, the Magnex has a nicer note lower down.
 Now this stuff is very subjective and I know that its not a truly fair test as the TTE is on a turbo with no cat and the Magnex is on an n/a with no precats.
At lower revs the Magnex has a low burble, which I like, the TTE comes into its own higher up the rev range and sounds better there, but might be a pain after  a while for some.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Leeber

You're right Nigel, it is totally subjective. I loved the sound of the old car when I first got it, I probably still would if it wasn't my daily drive, it's great when you're blatting through the lanes with the top down in the summer. After a long day at work though it doesn't make for a relaxing drive home, not to mention the fact that it wakes the neighbourhood up when I pull into/out of the drive at 3 am.

I had a test drive in a Boxster last week, I noticed that it was reasonably quiet when driven normally but gave a lovely growl when given some welly. Perhaps what I want just isn't possible with the '2.

Tags: