Air Box "De-Restriction?"

Started by Anonymous, November 1, 2003, 09:14

Anonymous

Hey guys i remember with my old Astra there was a lot of LONG piping from the airbox to the engine and reomving some of it and the 90 degree turns in it allowed the engine to breathe a bit more freely is this the case with the 2 as well?

Anonymous

yeah, steve has done this on his car (also makes it sound better!). I dont have the details, but it is possible. Chances are you wont actually improve performance as you will now be sucking in hot air from the engine bay, but it will sound better.

mph

Quote from: "bigun007"Hey guys i remember with my old Astra there was a lot of LONG piping from the airbox to the engine and reomving some of it and the 90 degree turns in it allowed the engine to breathe a bit more freely is this the case with the 2 as well?
No.

You'll get a load more induction noise (not that there's anything wrong with that   s:) :) s:)  ) and it may *feel* more responsive but the numbers show no difference. If you want a performance difference, a Unichip is far better value for money.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Slacey

Nope, the standard airbox is about as good an induction system as you can get, there is only a short pipe from the airbox that leads to the rear of the battery, removing this has no real effect.
The PPE CAI is the best aftermarket system, and this draws it's air from behind the battery too, but unless you particularly want the induction roar, stick with what you have got.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Oh that's cool, i just remembered with my Astra Vauxhall actually made the 1.4 16C more tuneable than the 1.6 and it was showing near same performance figures so they restricted it with 5m of piping with 12 "U-Bends" in it so they could justify the 1.6 16V.

Daft isn't it.

Will the superchip do anything to my warranty (underhand tactics ie hiding discounted please).

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"yeah, steve has done this on his car (also makes it sound better!). I dont have the details, but it is possible. Chances are you wont actually improve performance as you will now be sucking in hot air from the engine bay, but it will sound better.

Sorry wasn't clear - i meant change the pipe so its just one long pipe as post above, i'd not been out to check this myself.

Lol - sorry for confusion.

markiii

watch this space, I'm aving such a thing fabbed at present.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

mph

Superchip is not the same as Unichip - far from it.

As for warranty I wouldn't care to guess. However, properly fitted and tuned, it wouldn't have any adverse effects and isn't easily known by Mr T unless they physically look at the ECU.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Tags: