SP 240

Started by Anonymous, December 17, 2006, 18:28

Anonymous

I am just basically thinking about going for the sp240 package. I got the TTET fitted early this year and love it but want more power. It have the SP exhaust and decat pipe waiting to be sent to me but I am worried that that will not be enough for me and in 6 months I will want more. The clutch on my car has started to slip now so that will need done in the near future so I was thinking of getting the clutch, exhaust/de-cat and sp stage 2 done at the same time but at about £3500 is it going to be worth it. What do you guys think ?? Would make it a very fast car, just in two minds about it.

roger

I would love it, but can't really justify the expense. Goes for basic turbo as well.

Going to 240 is one of those diminishing return things, thats already been discussed. The higher the spec, the less you get for your money. In real life the extra you will add on is unlikely to give you the same "thrill" as did the turbo initially, and then doubts set in about value for money etc.

If money (and wife) was no object, I probably would.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

it may just be easier to start thinking of getting urself a motorbike for the wkend's and having that as your speed thrill?!

Anonymous

I was all for the SP240 upgrade but have since decided to go a different route and have bought a 1995 mk2 turbo.
The reasons simply are:
(i) the standard TTET is a fully daily useable option
(ii) the additional SP240 cost will not add greatly to the resale value
(iii) I have my doubts about what the SP240's additional power will have on the longevity of the engine (only time will tell)
(iv) I need a boot for DC weekends away, as I'm getting fed up with squeezing 3-5 days clothing in the MR2 bags only to see mk2 owners pull out suitcases from their boots!
(v) the SP240's cost seems open ended  s:? :? s:?   to add another £3-4000 on top of the TTET £4000 already spent IMO doesn't represent economical sense
and finally
(vi) maybe after 3 years of Roadster ownership it's time for a change  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

The cost really isn't worth it, unless you ignored the warranty aspect of the kit when you bought it. If losing the warranty doesn't bother you, and you can afford to throw that money away (you'll get none of it back when it comes to sell), then by all means go for it (power is fun!  s:D :D s:D ).

Personally, I wouldn't. It's not that much different to drive than the standard kit: At least, not unless you're tracking the car every weekend.

Anonymous

I plan to keep the car for another 4/5 years as I love it but get the feeling the odd time I want to change. I have looked at rx-8 and evo's lately but when it comes down to it I dont think I could get rid of her and the amount of dosh that I would loose just scared me. I have had it on the track twice and felt that I needed more power to keep up with the lotus guys but trackdays aren't my big thing really I have just got addicted to the feeling of getting pushed back into the seat.

The de-cat pipe will give me a bit of boost but in 3-6 months time I think that it wont be enough. Does anyone know if SP have done other cars but there own??

Anonymous

Quote from: "simonmr2"Does anyone know if SP have done other cars but there own??

Simon
I don't think so. I calculate less than 15 TTET's at SP and I'm sure if anybody had gone to stage 2 they'd have been at the Dyno Day or at least posted about it.
I cannot justify the cost, although I'm not saying it's too expensive as I'm sure the extra 40+bhp would be much appreciated by some but the additional items that need changing to make the car useable with this additional power makes the decision for you.
Uprated brakes (bigger disks mean bigger wheels etc). There's no point having the additional power if you cannot stop, I feel the stock brakes only just handle the stage 1 TTET.
Now if money was no object then I'd be in the queue, but unfortunately I have to justify the money spent to Deb and it's getting harder to do that based upon the cars impracticalities (ie luggage space), hence buying the mk2 turbo.
I've loved every single mile of the near 27,000 miles in my 2, especially the last 8,500 miles since the TTET was installed  s:D :D s:D  , but the spending on it has now had to stop  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Well the deed has nearly been done I am 90% sure that I am going to get the stage 2 TTET done in hopefully January. I was on the phone with Matt @ SP and he has answered all of my questions that I had. It's a fair chunk of money but it will be well spent if it gives me the fun and enjoyment that I have had with stage 1. Will be getting exhaust, decat pipe, clutch and Stage 2.

It's my christmas preseie to myself.  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

loadswine

That's some pressie mate!  s8) 8) s8)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

heathstimpson

Quote from: "loadswine"That's some pressie mate!  s8) 8) s8)
That's what I was thinking  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

kanujunkie

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  if only my bank account had any money in it  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie":shock: if only my bank account had any money in it  s:? :? s:?
Don't I know that feeling Stu  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Well been on the phone to Matt @ SP and the deposit is payed and booked in for 25th Jan.All I need to do is work loads of overtime till then.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

We all expect a dyno and a full review!!  or else   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

ninjinski

Quote from: "simonmr2"Well been on the phone to Matt @ SP and the deposit is payed and booked in for 25th Jan.All I need to do is work loads of overtime till then.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Good on you mate - Having driven the SP240 with Matt a few weeks back - Its one heck of a drive - You will definately be one of the fastest cars on the road!!
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

Leeber

Quote from: "ninjinski"Good on you mate - Having driven the SP240 with Matt a few weeks back - Its one heck of a drive - You will definately be one of the fastest cars on the road!!

I can heartily second that emotion, just got back from SP, me and the mrs had a test drive. My god what a motor! Matt's a lovely bloke too.
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

Anonymous

Lee
Good decision to go TTET (from your For Sale post).
Are you going stage 1 or straight through to SP240?
Don't know when you've got it scheduled to install but if your going to TTET stage 1, I'd willing meet up so you can have a spin in my car. Perhaps spin is the wrong word for it  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

On another topic:
Sorry about the locking nuts  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

can you guys PLEASE stop talking about this topic!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

everytime i read this i think shall i?! umm!

Anonymous

You won't reget it for a second I knew after that first blast in 1st that I loved it. The only problem is you will wan't more. More power, more power  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Where you there today getting a front strut brace fitted ?

Leeber

Quote from: "simonmr2"Where you there today getting a front strut brace fitted ?

Yes I was, along with the SP wheels, car now looks and handles even better. Did you see us?

I'm going for the stage 1 as the car is still under warranty. I'm guessing that the additional mods involved in going stage 2 would invalidate it, otherwise I'd be seriously tempted.

Thanks for the offer David, I live in Kent though, perhaps when I take the car back for the install we could meet up.

Anonymous

Quote from: "simonmr2"Thanks for the offer David, I live in Kent though, perhaps when I take the car back for the install we could meet up.
Lee, just give me a shout. I'm in St Neotts on 4th Feb, if you fancy a beer and a some lunch. Plus a spin in my TTET'd 2?

muffdan

I'm going for the stage 2 next month and can't wait, I think it's worth the £2k. I definitly notice a difference between SPs car and mine and I have the SP down pipe and back box. Matt said their car does a 0-60 of 4.9s measured by GPS speed not the car's speedo. That's very fast.

With regards to brakes, I find the limit is the same as the stock car; the grip of the tyres. If I brake very hard the ABS kicks in so I don't think there's a need to upgrade them.

If I'm not mistaken SP's car is running stock brakes too, they just have steel braded hoses. The hoses only improve the response/feel of the brake pedal, the stopping distances are the same as stock brakes. Thier car has no problems with stopping power or over heating etc. even on track days.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Leeber

Well I went and did it. The car's booked in for the 15th of Jan for the stage 1 install. Yipee!!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Anonymous

i wonder what the official TTE number list is now!

how many, ummm!!

well done though Leeber   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

spit

Excellent news Lee  s8) 8) s8)  Be interesting to see what sort of punch the TTET packs on such a low mileage car.

Where's me green icon .... oh, there it is! .....  s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tags: