SP 240

Started by Anonymous, December 17, 2006, 18:28

Liz

I don't think that I could justify going for the stage 2, especially whilst my car is not running 100% anyway (nought to do with the turbo I don't think) I have found that you get to the speed limit all too quickly with the stage 1, where would you use the extra power?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

in the same way as ferrari's, noble's, 911 turbo's do hun..........when ever they can!    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "perry190"in the same way as ferrari's, noble's, 911 turbo's do hun..........when ever they can!    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
It's a boy think; mines quicker than yours and all that  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

"Yes I was, along with the SP wheels, car now looks and handles even better. Did you see us?"

I was on the phone to Matt and he had said that some one was getting a strut brace fitted. Good decision and you will want more. Just out of interest my car only had 8k miles on it when I went TTET it will be interesting to see what hp it gets when dynoed before stage II.

Liz

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "perry190"in the same way as ferrari's, noble's, 911 turbo's do hun..........when ever they can!    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
It's a boy think; mines quicker than yours and all that  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

A-ha, being female I obviously don't understand   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Liz"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"

A-ha, being female I obviously don't understand   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
No you are one of us lads anyway Liz with your interest in cars  s8) 8) s8)  

I wish the cost of the SP240 kit was less as an extra 2K is quite hard to justify. To got from NA to SP240 in one go for around 5Kish would be nice  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Just to dig this up again Matt @ sp has said that the SP 240 will do 0-60 in 4.9 sec just wondering whaT 0-100 time you would expect. About 11 sec ??

loadswine

I don't know about how many seconds to 100 mph, but when I had a ride in it on the track at Silverstone, it felt every bit as quick as that. Coming out of the pit lane, we were at similar speeds to things already out on the track and in the space of 1 corner had gone past a ferrari.
I can't really think you'd need a 2 faster than that on the road. The thing that struck me wasn't just how quick it was, but also how civilised.
There was no excess mechanical sounds other than a purposeful growl that grew with revs, and it didn't ever seem harsh.
A very well sorted package imho.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Quote from: "simonmr2"Just to dig this up again Matt @ sp has said that the SP 240 will do 0-60 in 4.9 sec just wondering whaT 0-100 time you would expect. About 11 sec ??

s:) :) s:)  its sounds like you carnt wait to get SP 2!!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

firepower

have any of you guys got insurance quotes for your sp240 upgrades, how has it affected your premiums  s:?: :?: s:?:
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Anonymous

I got it done when I changed my insurance in December. I cost me £1080 which for insurance of my car in NI is quite good. The insurance over here is a rip off. A standard MR2 would be IRO £600 so with all my mods I was reasonably happy.

Getting ready as I am over on Wedensday night for the drive to SP and I am starting to get a bit excited.   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

s8) 8) s8)  

are you going for the 238 figures or have you asked Matt about pushing that number higher?!

loadswine

I guess it depends on how long you want the engine to last. I know there are a few guys pushing 260 plus , but without changing the internals, this must be getting near the limit for a standard block.
On the plus side, the smiles generated by that many horses in a 2 may offset any longevity worries.  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

He is going to tune it to what the engine will take so it should be arround that mark or a little more as I remember him saying that my engine was stronger that there car when I got the TTET fitted. I think anything arround that mark with the tourque figures will be enough.

For now.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

firepower

how long does the sp240 upgrade take  s:?: :?: s:?:
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft

Anonymous

Not sure I am getting my new clutch fitted, Wheels, strut brace and the Stage II and Matt is planning to spend Thursday and Friday and we have part of Saturday if needed. I planned the extra time because When I got the TTET fitted we were a bit short of time in the end and I had to hot foot it to stranrar in recond time (70mph all the way honest) and didn't want to have to do that again. I would have thought the Stage II would take a day or so. Are you getting tempted ??

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"I guess it depends on how long you want the engine to last. I know there are a few guys pushing 260 plus , but without changing the internals, this must be getting near the limit for a standard block.
On the plus side, the smiles generated by that many horses in a 2 may offset any longevity worries.  s:) :) s:)

i always heard it mentioned though that the stock externals could cope with that kinda power?

Anonymous

They can, but for how long reliably no-one really knows. Considering that each engine is very different in terms of just what it can take, there may be one engine that falls over on 220bhp after a couple of months but another that lives with 280bhp for years.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ekona"They can, but for how long reliably no-one really knows. Considering that each engine is very different in terms of just what it can take, there may be one engine that falls over on 220bhp after a couple of months but another that lives with 280bhp for years.

Right   s8) 8) s8)  

so whats recommended then to upgrade for the internals

muffdan

skimming the pistons to reduce the compression?
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

firepower

Quote from: "simonmr2"Not sure I am getting my new clutch fitted, Wheels, strut brace and the Stage II and Matt is planning to spend Thursday and Friday and we have part of Saturday if needed. I planned the extra time because When I got the TTET fitted we were a bit short of time in the end and I had to hot foot it to stranrar in recond time (70mph all the way honest) and didn't want to have to do that again. I would have thought the Stage II would take a day or so. Are you getting tempted ??

yes very but i'll have to get the money sorted first and would be very interested to hear about your experience of the sp 240   s:D :D s:D

kanujunkie

probably better just putting in wiesco pistons
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

aaronjb

I seem to recall from reading SC that it's generally the rods that go first in the 1ZZ rather than the pistons (assuming you have the correct fuelling and aren't detonating like a small tactical nuke - because if you are then forged pistons will only give you a bit of breathing room anyway)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

kanujunkie

yeah, your right, speak to Gas, sure he's had one go
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

muffdan

Surely one of the reasons of buying the very expensive TTET (for me anyway) is that is should be bullet proof and comes with a warranty. The SP240 is a very appealing option to get more power from it, but even this is questionable if reliability was a reason for picking the TTET in the first place.

Would we want to push it even more? It would be far cheaper to have gone from stock to Thor Stage III, and then start tinkering with the internals for far higher power gains.

I personally will be going for the SP240 next month. (just waiting for my wife to drop our first offsprint next week). Matt as convinced me that it is developed well within the limits of the engine and not increasing TTET boost levels.... and I like the sound of a 4.9 0-60.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Tags: