cat/pre cats replaced now usin oil

Started by worzy, December 27, 2006, 13:23

worzy

hi guys as u might know i had my pre cats go and blocked the main cat so mr t replaced them under warranty, i said to him was the engine ok he said it sounds as sweet as a nut?

well i have had the car back for 6 days and it is using a lot of oil and there is spots of black oil on the bumper around the exhaust area and i dont think the car is as revy and quick as it was before i took it in. the car also has a ticking sound at low revs only on load. Is this me worryin and just lookin for faults now it all seems a bit wierd what do you guys think

thanks ben

Anonymous

s:( :( s:(

As I said in your previous thread, you have no idea how much damage has been done to the engine until you've had the manifold and cat replaced. Sadly, it would appear that (and this is just an educated guess) that the piston rings are seeping a considerable amount of oil which is managing to get past the pre-cats and main cat (to some extent, anyway). Take the car back (since this is under warranty) and explain that you're using A LOT of oil. They'll send you away and tell you to keep track of exactly how much, and then you have to go back and tell them. It's a ridiculous thing to have to do, I know, but that's always the way it goes.

As for the bloke saying the engine sounds 'as sweet as a nut'... Pfft. Unless he takes the engine apart and does a microscope analysis of the bores, he's got no idea what state it's in.

How much oil is it using btw? Keep a very close eye on the oil level and top-up whenever it gets to about half (earlier if you do long journeys) and carry on as normal, but try not to rev the hell out of the engine. You won't do any more damage to the engine now, but you don't want to run out of oil in the middle of a motorway and to have the engine suddenly seize up on you!

Good luck!

Peter Wright

Quote from: "worzy"hi guys as u might know i had my pre cats go and blocked the main cat so mr t replaced them under warranty, i said to him was the engine ok he said it sounds as sweet as a nut?

well i have had the car back for 6 days and it is using a lot of oil and there is spots of black oil on the bumper around the exhaust area and i dont think the car is as revy and quick as it was before i took it in. the car also has a ticking sound at low revs only on load. Is this me worryin and just lookin for faults now it all seems a bit wierd what do you guys think

thanks ben
Dont like the sound of that Ben
Which garage are you using ? if you say Dingles that does not surprise me at all as they are just fitters and no x all about mr2s
I would take it to someone like Roys Toyota who employ mechanics who will prob understand it better
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

worzy

where is that pete never heard of them do u use them need to get this sorted for the summer for the tack days  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  if i get pissed off i will rebuild the engine myself and do some heavy mods fuck the warranty lol
pete u going to the next meet bud

ben

Peter Wright

Quote from: "worzy"where is that pete never heard of them do u use them need to get this sorted for the summer for the tack days  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  if i get pissed off i will rebuild the engine myself and do some heavy mods f**k the warranty lol
pete u going to the next meet bud

ben
Roys Motor Co. Sprowston Road Norwich  m http://www.roysmotorco.co.uk/ m
I have used them for the past 5 years
A lot of the mk2 boys get there repairs done there and you can speak to the mechanic who has always helped me and understands what I am saying
Yeah will be at the next meet and the Xmas dinner if it gets more support
Pete
Pete.  1999 MRs.  Power Enterpise Turbo, Greddy Ultimate, Davids style bars,  Walnut Dash Kit,  2003 side pods, Chrome Mirrors & Windscreen Surround, TRD Spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Corkeys Breast Plate, TRD Member braces, Fox Racing lightweight 17" racing alloys.

worzy

ekona cheers for ur advice well car going in tomorrow see what they say. pete would like to go for the christmass dinner but not sure what i am doin at the mo with work and tht. well i was at half way on th dipstick wen i got it now its at nealry the min mark

ben

worzy

car has gone back to mr t they are stripping the engine out so know its just a waitin game keep u posted guys

ben

Tags: