Forum discussion re Blown Engines etc

Started by Lady UK, November 3, 2003, 13:54

Lady UK

I contacted Toyota at Surrey this morning in regard to having read of some members problems with blown engines, noises, etc.

Toyota informed me that if there was a problem with the early 2000 -2001 models there would have been an issue for a special service campaign.  They keep an eye on all engine related problems within the warranty (also the extended  toyota warranties) and feedback is sent for update within head office.

Engine warranties are 3 years or 60, 000 miles.  Toyota also said they were not aware of any major problems with the UK specs but were aware of problems with the import specs as both specs are not similar in regard to the engines.

The USA (Spydachat) is collecting a members list of engine problems and I have received email reply from Dan.  Looking at the forum I have no idea who has an import or uk spec that is appearing to have or have had problems.

Toyota seem interested in my query and I would appreciate it if you all think it's a good idea to collect names of all who are having or have had problems with their uk specs (engine wise) so further enquiry and investigation can be considered.

let me know what any of you think....as if there is or are problems especially with the early models ...2000 and 2001 (or any 02's) then toyota should know and acknowledge!

Anonymous

i havent heard of any major problems or defects with 2000-2001 english spec!

the only problem that is sligthy comon is that the engine throws a cell by the one of the injectors get blocked usually number 3, this has only happend to me once, and was quickly sorted!

Jap GT300

I sold my old 2" to a private buyer in November 2002, during December I received a call saying the car had been taken to Penfolds Toyota, (I think it was Streatham Branch).  

My car was a J-Spec MR-S, it had several mods, but the part they were blaming detonation on was the ECU.  They claimed this was after market, however I know that it was a standard part.

Luckily I put the car under warranty and it was replaced without fuss by Warranty Holdings PLC.  I'm sure this is a similar case as to those reported in the US.

BTW. A lot of US detonations were actually from a breakdown of the pre cats, these then got stuck in the main cat giving the heat no where to escape!

Adam

Tem

Quote from: "Lady UK"Toyota also said they were not aware of any major problems with the UK specs but were aware of problems with the import specs as both specs are not similar in regard to the engines.

That doesn't surprise me. US dealers say the same, even the ones that had previously handled another SC members blown engine. Finnish Toyota said the same, though I know for a fact of another blown finnish engine (and we only have less than 20 cars in total!).

AFAIK, the only difference between UK-spec and EU-spec is the radio and alarm. And I don't think either can cause or prevent engine problems.

I have a blown EU-spec engine. IIRC, someone in here (or maybe during the Yahoo-list days) had a blown UK-spec. And my german really sucks, but they German Roadster-board also had these problems.

BTW, apparently at least IS300's are also suffering from the breaking precats and blown engines...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: