'2 Being Serviced - New Brake Discs and Pads

Started by Anonymous, December 28, 2006, 10:40

Anonymous

Hey all,

My '2 is currently being serviced and I got a call saying the front discs and pads are worn - can I get these replaced under warranty??  I still have about 2 weeks left on it.

They have quoted me £336 for them!

Also quoted me £31 for wipers

If they won't do the discs and pads under warranty are they relatively easy to fit?  I don't have a trolley jack (or anywhere to store one!)

Thanks,
Dave

kanujunkie

Dave, do the front pads and discs yourself, should take about 15mins a corner, the disc is free floating and is held in place by the caliper which in turn is held in by 2 bolts, drop the bolts out and the caliper comes off, tap out the pads, swap over the anti squeel shims(2 off per pad and they clip on) and then re assemble the lot in the reverse order.

BTW you need a spanner and socket to drop the 2 bolts out as the rubber expansion spacer can be damaged if you dont hold it in place(the little rubber boot bit that the bolts go into),

should save you around £200
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Chris_h

As someone who can be quite lazy DIYing car jobs, I can testify that brake pad and disc change is very easy and quite rewarding (parts are cheap, Toyota labour is not!)

They won't be covered under warranty, but you may find Mr T are being a bit premature in calling time on your pads and discs, as they are probably thinking over the next 10k / 1 year + main dealers always seem to suggest pads and discs, especially at a quiet time of year... Am I being cynical???
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

spit

The usual health warning applies if you're going to DIY - don't rely on a scissor jack as the sole means of support. Its a relatively quick job but........ etc.

Be safe.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

I wonder why Ste mentioned that...

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

INTERESTING!

At my last service before my warranty ran out I had an advisory on worn front pads and discs.

My local MR T replaced the lot under warranty. Well they paid for the discs and labour , I just paid £45 for pads. Quality - I didn't even have to argue.

If you have the gutso you could argue the toss with your dealer and quote me. If not as said a very easy job.
Goodluck  s:D :D s:D

philster_d

hehe dont show turbo steve you mad maintenance skillz

Leeber

My last car also got ALL of the discs replaced under warranty (again about 2 weeks before it ran out) but I had to pay for the pads. Toyota pads were £45 a set, Black Diamond pads were about the same price. It was a no brainer really, the dealership were happy to put the Black Diamonds in instead when they changed the discs.
I\'m Pink, Therefore I\'m Spam.

Anonymous

They said they would only replace them under warranty if they were corroded, whereas these were just worn.

Got no time or equipment to sort it out and I'm just plain lazy so I got them to do it.  But I got a discount.

Now I'm having issues with my wipers!  The '2 failed the MOT because the wipers were torn and 'did not clear the windscreen' which is rubbish as they were fine.  So anyway I bought some new blades from halfords and I fit them, but they are worse than before!  Aagghh!

Tags: