rear caliper sticking

Started by loadswine, December 30, 2006, 13:04

loadswine

I took the 2 out the other day for a quick spin, when I got back the offside rear disk was very hot compared to the others.
Investigating today, it seems the handbrake activates, but the caliper is not releasing properly when off. Caliper now swung out of way of disk and it seems to be inside where the bother is.
Next thing to try is to rotate the piston back into its housing and hope that that frees up the mechanism.
Anyone got a quick and easy way to screw the piston in without the service tool?
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

markiii

I have a tool which should fit, Stu has it at teh mo, from meory you guys are quite close?

if so feel free to borrow it
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

loadswine

Excellent Mark, I'll give Stu a ring.  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"Anyone got a quick and easy way to screw the piston in without the service tool?

Does it have to be screwed back in? I've used a valve spring compressor before to push the piston back into the caliper.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Moleshome"
Quote from: "loadswine"Anyone got a quick and easy way to screw the piston in without the service tool?

Does it have to be screwed back in? I've used a valve spring compressor before to push the piston back into the caliper.

The front calipers push in, but the rear caliper has to be screwed back in as per the service guide.  Forcing it straight back in carries a high risk of breaking the handbrake mechanism.

If you don't have the proper tool to hand then a largish open-ended wrench with it's points in the notches on the piston, plus a second smaller wrench as a handle in the ring end of the main spanner works quite well.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

firepower

is it definitely the caliper that is causing your problem  s:?: :?: s:?:  

i used to own a mk 1 mr2 and the hand brake cables caused problems by siezing on, so i would check the cable as well

i dont think there is any reason why the caliper should have over adjusted as it should lock in to a notch on the back of the brake pad which stops it from rotating.
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

loadswine

Its definitely the caliper that has the problem, as it was still stuck with the handbrake cable disconnected. I've picked up the tool from Stu, but it was dark and raining when I got back, just had a chance to offer the tool up to the piston, it wasn't about to move in a hurry.
As soon as its dry and light, I'll go and have a proper go.
If it is still sticking, after the fiddling, I guess its a new caliper...  s:( :( s:(

markiii

if it's teh caluiper let me know before you spend cash, may have an interesting idea for you
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

loadswine

Mmmmm, sounds intriguing!
One good thing I did find while grubbing about, is that the car has stainless steel reinforced brake lines fitted. At least that was a nice surprise.

loadswine

I wound the caliper back in a bit, took some effort which wasn't a good sign. Refitted all the bits and it doesn't seize on the handbrake operation at all, mechanism releases well.
Took it out for a quick test and it seems as if the caliper is still sticking a bit, from the operation of the footbrake. Definitely a problem inside the caliper. I'll try winding it back in again, but I am beginning to think the caliper is up for replacement.   Mark, I might need your interesting idea after all.

Anonymous

hav'nt done the 'two' before Nige, but the screw in pistons can be very stiff anyway mate.  

Assume you left he lid off the brake fluid resovoir so you not trying to push against pressure?  (sure you did, just a thought)

loadswine

A good thought Perry, first time I attempted it, I forgot until my eyeballs popped! Then I thought "Ah the reservoir lid!" or words to that effect.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

One other thought - hope it isn't too obvious.  

Has the sliding pin on the caliper been properly lubricated with a lithium soap base grease?  Use of common axle/wheel bearing grease can prevent the caliper from sliding in/out properly.

loadswine

Pins are well lubricated and move quite freely as far as I can see.
Thanks for the idea , we might find a cure yet!

normanh

Question, has anyone a detailed drawing/parts breakdown on the rear caliper? As I suspect I am having a few problems here as well. Better to see what I intend to clean up before I attempt the job. Had one disc corroded on the iniside which I cleaned up on fitting new pads but the had brake still does not feel right. Does anyone know if the handbrake mechanism in the caliper needs lubricating? I have had one new cable fitted as the old one was total siezed.

normanh

loadswine

The only external handbrake parts that could need any lubrication are the crank and spring, if they are free from corrosion and move freely, then the problem is likely to be inside the caliper assembly.

loadswine

Just an update. I wound the piston back in for a second time today and it seems to have fixed it, at least for now. There is no apparent sticking after applying the footbrake and after a run of about 8 miles the disc was no hotter than any of the others.
I will test it some more when I get a chance over a slightly longer distance and see if I get any issues with it then.

aaronjb

Good news then Nigel  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

great news bud !   s:) :) s:)

loadswine

Yep! Pleased so far!  s:) :) s:)

firepower

how does screwing the piston back in to the caliper housing stop it from sticking   s:?: :?: s:?:   as soon as you apply the brakes the piston will move back out of the caliper housing in to contact with the pads unless the piston was over adjusted to start with  s:? :? s:?
01 tte turbo, sp exhaust and down pipe, tte springs 190hp more power soon ? 205lb/ft
1/4 mile 14.6 s @ 90 .55 mph  ( at drag strip )

Anonymous

why is a nut easier to undo the second time around?  s;) ;) s;)

probably cleared the obstruction (grit or the likes) and now its no longer siezed  (fingers crossed)

kanujunkie

plus he hasn't said wether he lubricated the piston with a wipe of oil
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"plus he hasn't said wether he lubricated the piston with a wipe of oil
Yes that normally helps and don't forget to put a small bit of lube on the seal around the piston preventing damage as you screw it back in  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

loadswine

Actually I didn't do anything to the piston other than wind it back in and let the internal mechanism adjust it back to normal.
I am guessing that as I don't use my car a lot in the winter it got a bit stuck through non use. I am only just guessing here. Sometimes things that become stuck in those circumstances do free up after moving them around in some way.
I don't know all the whys and wherefores I'm afraid, I just know that it seems better now than before I did it.  s:) :) s:)  
Lubricating the seal does sound like a good idea. What to use though, don't want to rot anything.

Tags: