Fitting New front speakers !!!!! All explained

Started by Anonymous, June 7, 2003, 11:36

markiii

should be fine I have the older version froma few years back in mine
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

could you give me the measurement of the speaker spacer please? or do you have a template i could trace round?

thanx m.  s:? :? s:?  
mailto:em22chick@hotmail.com

roger

Quote from: "em22chick"could you give me the measurement of the speaker spacer please? or do you have a template i could trace round?

thanx m.  s:? :? s:?  
mailto:em22chick@hotmail.com

They are not symmetrical, so a template is best.

PM paulwhite1977 whose getting one I did from philster.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Ernie Ball

I don't think I have the woodworking skills to make my own spacers and I gather they are necessary when replacing the speakers (?).

Is there any alternative?  Is it the sort of thing that a stereo installer would be able to make?

markiii

just gut teh stock paper cones and use teh frame
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"just gut the stock paper cones and use the frame

.... Now why didn't I think of that..... would have made the job a lot easier...  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Draggon

Great sticky  s:) :) s:)  and along with this thread...was really easy.
 m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2000/Sept ... panels.htm m

Now i have Dynomatted doors and Infinity Reference 6512si which sound excellent btw  s:) :) s:)

I did not create a template or mounting bracket...i just butchered the existing cardboard speakers so i could use the grey plastic surround mounting...very very easy..

Happy with result  s:) :) s:)
Black 04 MR2 Roadster, Black Leather. David Style Chrome Bars (1 piece). Dev\'s keyhole covers, Dev\'s BL Visor, Small Mongo\'s with eagle stickers, J-spec nose badge, spyder rear badge, ST Crystal side indicators. TTE Springs :)

andywood

Anyone know where all the pictures in Busters original post have gone??   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
2003 Silver + Stuff = [strike]235bhp/225lbft[/strike],  + rethink = 195bhp

Liz

Buster sold his car years ago and probably took down the pictures at the same time off his host....sorry.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

broudie

That sucks. I was about to do my own install.

andywood

Most of the text in busters original step-by-step guide is easier to understand.
I just wanted to check if anybody had any pictures or comments to aid my understanding of the following points:

1. Best location for and how to attach the cross-over within the door?
2. Picture or description of exactly where and how to trim to fit the 1" tweeter in?

Thanks alot for any comments or pictures.

Andy

andywood

......oh

3. Where people laid the dynomat? (Although I assume this all over any exposed area of the inside of the outer door panel?)

Cheers

roger

Andy

1. If you take the armrest (or the door panel) off you will see a polystyrene block. I used velcro to put mine there, and positioned it so I could reach the switches just by taking the armrest off. In actual fact I've never touched it since install!

2. I used the existing hole for my tweeters, but had to enlarge them slightly. The tweeter kit came with 2 or 3 alternative fixings, and TBH it was trial and error for the best. I guess what you get and how you do it depends on what kit you buy.

3. And yes, I did just the door cards, and covered everything!
Roger

andywood

Thanks for the comments Roger.

Don't quite understand what you meant in 3.

You did just the door cards but covered everything?  s:? :? s:?  
Am i reading that wrong or was it a typo?

Cheers

Andy

roger

Quote from: "andywood"Thanks for the comments Roger.

Don't quite understand what you meant in 3.

You did just the door cards but covered everything?  s:? :? s:?  
Am i reading that wrong or was it a typo?

Cheers

Andy

What I meant was I covered ALL of the door card.

Sorry
Roger

andywood

Cheers Roger, got myself another job for the weekend now!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Andy.

Anonymous

s:?: :?: s:?:  

I was wondering if somebody could post some new step by step fitting pictures as Busters from the original post are now gone  s:( :( s:(

scottish_turbo

go on here http://www.spydermagazine.com/ you'll find some instructions with pictures at the bottom of the page.

Anonymous

s:D :D s:D  

Thank you very much Scottish_Turbo  s:!: :!: s:!:  

Very much appreciated  s8) 8) s8)

MR2 super GT

So after reading this if i was going to get better speakers I need to get a componenet set.

my question is how does the standard speakers receive the different frequencies before an aftermarket crossover is installed?

If i just got some coaxials and use the existing power cables going into the 6.5" would that be adequit?
when I\'m not in traction, I\'m in action

enid_b

Quote from: "MR2 super GT"my question is how does the standard speakers receive the different frequencies before an aftermarket crossover is installed? badly!!!

i along with many have changed the speakers. it makes a huge difference. dont compromise, get it done.
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

loadswine

I think the stock speakers use just a resistor or something as a very crude crossover. My Alpine X series have  crossovers the size of the Isle of Wight!
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

MR2 super GT

Thanks for feedback. I am tempted to just go for a good pair of coaxials.

MR2 super GT

So if i went for a component set I can use the existing power cable?

run it into the crossover and then wires to the respective speakers? What is putting me of is that I dont want to start having to run extra wires or take another 12v feed from some where

roger

Quote from: "MR2 super GT"So if i went for a component set I can use the existing power cable?

run it into the crossover and then wires to the respective speakers? What is putting me of is that I dont want to start having to run extra wires or take another 12v feed from some where

That's what I did, changed the HU & speakers / crossover and kept original wiring into the door, and spliced new wiring from there.

I'm told would have better sound if ALL the wiring was upgraded, but its good enough for me.
Roger

Tags: