0-60 times in wet

Started by northernalex, January 7, 2007, 17:07

northernalex

Phil and I have just been out on to a private road to measure our 0-60 times, and on the way it blinkin started raining!!

However after a few blasts the best time Phil got was 8.73s and best time I got was 7.43s (I had a few more goes than phil as the computer didnt seem to like him).

On my first go I got 8.9s and managed to fishtail it all over the road,ooops  s:) :) s:)  Phil said it looked dangerous but was lauging at the time. I'm alive and managed to get it back in a straight line.

We were launching from a layby onto the main road so there will be some error in the actual 0-60 times as we're going round a bend.

Good fun, nice to see what its like in the dry or if can find somewhere to launch without it
1)being wet.
2)having a bend before the run.
3)using something better than a odb2 reader to measure 0-60 times.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

muffdan

7.4s is pretty impressive given the run conditions! The uni-chip and exhaust have clearly made a significant difference.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

yeah, very impressive considering that you were on a bend!!

but i can understand the fish tailing it happened to me again today  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  keeps you awake

evileye_wrx

It goes to show how much respect you have to give these cars. Alex had actually straightened up when his rear wheels started trying to get in front of the headlights! And give him his dues Alex got back to straight pretty quickly and made 60mph in 8.9 on that run.

Personally I blame the extra weight in the car, I'm 4.5 stone heavier than him! I just need to do some post-xmas exercise and I'll be down to fighting weight.

Another couple of runs with the laptop working and I reckon I could have reduced it to below the quoted stock time.

Phil
Phil

Black 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Prodrive 265bhp
Ex Silverstone 03 Honda S2000GT 240bhp
Ex Silver 03 VX220 Turbo 200bhp
Ex Sable and Carbon 05 MR2 Roadster Turbo 205bhp

Anonymous

was thinking earlier with this 0-60 timing in the wet!

i cannot think of a time when the car has ever felt unstable or lack of grip in the wet on a straight even since turbo!

im fairly confident even in the turbo that i could get a respectable time not far off its performance when in the dry and i think your results back that up?!

like ive mentioned before the only time this car ie evil is when your just come off a bend on to straight stretch of road, thats when you get the surprise!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

northernalex

Quote from: "bossman23780"was thinking earlier with this 0-60 timing in the wet!

i cannot think of a time when the car has ever felt unstable or lack of grip in the wet on a straight even since turbo!

I'm fairly confident even in the turbo that i could get a respectable time not far off its performance when in the dry and i think your results back that up?!

like ive mentioned before the only time this car ie evil is when your just come off a bend on to straight stretch of road, thats when you get the surprise!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Yeah when i did the good 0-60 times i didnt feel any loss in grip, i think i could maybe shave a fraction of a second off the time if i was driving straight and not on a turn from the parking position.  I did loose grip at one point when i fishtailed but having looked back at the point it happend there is a bit of a hole in the road which may mean i lost grip on one tyre for a bit..
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

i think the only way in which you would get bad times is if there was alot of standing water, then causing aquaplaning   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  which is really easy to do in our car, maybe thats what happened with you then, that hole could have caused that effect on the tire?!

northernalex

aquaplaning... ouch... yeah it could have been that.... phil's bigger wheels saved him  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:

muffdan

I should imagine you can get off the mark a lot quicker in the dry.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

Anonymous

not unless your a silky smooth ace formula one driver wannabe such as myself?!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

no im just saying you could get close

rtbiscuit

i have a mate with a rover 220 tomcat (non turbo) which has been tweeked.i think he is pushing out 160 - 170 bhp.

he wants to see how evenly matched they are, and has invited me up to the local airfield to test the theory out.

i am going to wait till i have my manifold on before i try this, and i want some dry weather.

i think power to weight ratio i will have him, but  i think he has more tourque, so should be interesting.
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"i am going to wait till i have my manifold on before i try this, and i want some dry weather.

and a turbo   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

then you'd have no probs beating him   s:) :) s:)  

SPEND SPEND SPEND

rtbiscuit

stop it you bad man!

this is a positive forum where we're meant to lead a good example to the young noobs, and your advotacting large expenditure!

bad bad man!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Previous cars:

spit

Had a footle with Mike's accelero-gizmo a while ago. We were two-up and hard-topped and it was leathering it down. Just couldn't get the power down even with the extra ballast!

Any of you guys who can get close in the wet to what you'd get in the dry - I doff my cap to you.

Just a quessie - can you guys get to 60 in 2nd? The J-spec has you well into 3rd before 60 hits.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

rtbiscuit

i'm pretty sure i can hit 60 in 2nd

Previous cars:

spit

I thought so .... in which case my time wasn't too bad i spose. Love to try again on warm dry tarmac though  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

yeah easy to 60 and a bit more in second gear is that because its a six speed then?

northernalex

yeah i can hit 60 before the revlimter..
evileye_xc said:

spit

*(bad pun time: J-spec ratios aren't geared up for 0-60 times)*

Anonymous

Quote from: "spit"*(bad pun time: J-spec ratios aren't geared up for 0-60 times)*

BUGGER!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

muffdan

I think 60 is pretty much red-line in second. My speedo seriously lies, with my stock rims/tyres. When my speedo said 60, my sat nav said 55. I put my money on the GPS being accurate and it seems to be correct. Speed cameras and cop cars seems to agree with the GPS anyway   s:D :D s:D  

Anyone else recorded differences between gps and speedo readings? Are the times recorded using the speedo or gps?

I know the manufacturing tollerances allowed on speedos in the UK is +/- 10%. I've been in two Vectra's which read spot on but other than that I find that almost all other cars I've been in read between 5 and 10% slow.
Jason

northernalex

times used speedo.. so there could be some error again..although we used the ecu reading which may or may not be same as dial is showing..
evileye_xc said:

Anonymous

what is the most accurate way of reading 0-60?! i would like to test mine one day but only if im going to get a true result

spit

Maybe we should arrange a get-together with Firepower Phil - he has a very sexy accelerometer gizmo that can do 0-60. You can also set it for for 50-70 and others etc etc.

Can't remember what the kit is though  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

northernalex

Quote from: "bossman23780"what is the most accurate way of reading 0-60?! i would like to test mine one day but only if I'm going to get a true result

Has to be gps.. assuming that it updates quick enough.. you can buy 0-60 reading gizmos..
evileye_xc said:

Tags: