0-60 times in wet

Started by northernalex, January 7, 2007, 17:07

Anonymous

Quote from: "muffdan"People look at me odd when I tear it out of a layby, fly past them and pull into the next layby half a mile up the road!

Know what you mean ! I felt like a right ricer last night!

I've got the MkII TOMTOM Bluetooth receiver - I'll try upping the baud but I don't know how good it is.

Accurate or not 6.7 sec is now going to be my official quoted 0-60time!  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

kanujunkie

i got the math wrong BTW, not 760yrds but 2.93yrds  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  for got the mins to secs bit, been a long day  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "muffdan"Other people with better (more expensive) receivers might get better results. The flashing '_' you see after the 'mph' is a sign that I have received new positional and speed data from the device. For me, at 4800 baud that is about once a second.

It doesn't matter what Baud rate you use Dan, the best you'll get is once per second.

I've got some other GPS apps that I'm going to have a play with today to see whether the speed lag is down to the GPS.

Have you tried using GPVTG instead of GPRMC? I don't know whether that will make any difference.

rtbiscuit

NEW MR2 ROADSTER 0-60 RECORD TIME 3.2 SEC   s8) 8) s8)  

and all because i fitted the new flux capacitor,

new enlarged dolphin valves

and racing donkey flanges!

car goes like lightening now, beat you all!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

kanujunkie

and that definatley proves it, 3.2 out of a 1.8, me thinks not
[size=100]Stu[/size]

muffdan

that'll be caused by a temporary loss of signal, the timer starts when the average speed is greater than 0, but if it misses 1 or 2 position reads, then the timer starts much later, hence the very fast time. This will be much improved in version 2.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

muffdan

Quote from: "Moleshome"Have you tried using GPVTG instead of GPRMC? I don't know whether that will make any difference.

I believe the value is the same, just duplicated in a different NMEA sentence. I'm going to work off latitude and longitude, and calculate the speed and acceleration myself from this data. I should be able to use this to make a very good best guess at the actual moment you pull away and the moment you hit 60mph.
Jason
[size=80]\'00 Cape Green MR2 with Hard top, A/C & Leather - SP Turbo - 320bhp[/size]
[size=100]AEM - [/size][size=96]ARP - [/size][size=92]Crower - [/size][size=88]Cusco - [/si

rtbiscuit

i'm sure its my racing donkey flanges, and sports dolphin valves,

they make a big difference!
current car: Jaguar XKR

Previous cars:

Honda S2000 - Nissan 350Z - Honda CTR - Toyota MR2 roadster - Peugeot 306 GTi6

Proud owner of 2 Enid stars!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "muffdan"
Quote from: "Moleshome"Have you tried using GPVTG instead of GPRMC? I don't know whether that will make any difference.

I believe the value is the same, just duplicated in a different NMEA sentence. I'm going to work off latitude and longitude, and calculate the speed and acceleration myself from this data. I should be able to use this to make a very good best guess at the actual moment you pull away and the moment you hit 60mph.

Looking at the output you're right the values are identical and start at the same time so no difference there, I also took a look at the SIRF binary protocol but that only outputs at 1Hz too so nothing to be gained there.

I had a play yesterday and the lag is huge, I've already hit 60 in 2nd gear but it's not until I'm well into 3rd gear that the GPS has decided I'm doing 60. I've got another PDA and some other GPSs, I'll try and have a go with those and see if there's any difference between devices.

muffdan

Same conclusions I came to. It is documented that mid-range GPS receivers will update position and speed at 10Hz, and really expensive ones even higher. Once I am working purely off of UTC and latitude/longitude/altitude values the lag will be much less relevant, although for more accurate results accelerating hard right up to 70 (and maybe above  s:) :) s:)  ) is definitly required.
Jason

Anonymous

has any one comented on the racelogic drift box

isnt that what SP use's?! if its good enough for them why not our 2's?

northernalex

Quote from: "bossman23780"has any one comented on the racelogic drift box

isnt that what SP use's?! if its good enough for them why not our 2's?

cos its expensive.
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

HA HA HA HA HA HA ..... HAHAHAHAHA

you must be joking!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

the amount of money ive and weve spent on our cars...

... well money lost all meaning!!

thats chump change!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

northernalex

Quote from: "bossman23780"HA HA HA HA HA HA ..... HAHAHAHAHA

you must be joking!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

the amount of money ive and weve spent on our cars...

... well money lost all meaning!!

thats chump change!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Get one then mate  s:) :) s:)   Its a fair wack for me compared to some free software and/or £10 for the commercial software.

Yeah this site makes the mr2 a money pit lol
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Anonymous

how good is the performance box from racelogic then?

anything i would need to know?

northernalex

Quote from: "bossman23780"how good is the performance box from racelogic then?

anything i would need to know?

FROM RACELOGIC WEBSITE

How Does DriftBox Work?
Housed inside the DriftBox is a high performance 10Hz GPS engine coupled with sophisticated motion sensors. Speed, Postion, Acceleration and Drift are measured 10 times a second. To measure Drift angle, the angle the vehicle is pointing is computed using the motion sensors, and this is compared with the angle the vehicle is travelling which is computed from the GPS.

DriftBox is equipped with an MMC/SD Flash memory card socket. This allows 10Hz logging of Time, Distance, Speed, Position, G-force, Lap Times, Split Times, and Drift Angle.

Data logged to the MMC flash card can be analysed in detail using the PC software provided. For convenience, the DriftBox can be connected to the USB port of a PC compatible computer to download information stored on the memory card.

Guess thats why its so good, it updates every 0.1s and will calculate speed etc between these points.

£465 inc vat would love one but i think its a bit pricey for what I would use it for, if you're going out on a track alot then it would be invaluable.
evileye_xc said:

Anonymous

useful write up   s8) 8) s8)  

yeah!

but they have a cheaper option in the performance box, which gives you alot of useful performance data?!

what you think of that one

muffdan

I'm pretty confident I can exactly match all that functionality (you would just need to use the software with a GPS receiver that samples at 10Hz or higher). The accuracy with a cheapo 1Hz Receiver should be pretty close too using a good prediction algorithm. I would say +/-3 tenths at worst even though the receiver is 10 times slower.
Jason

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "rtbiscuit"NEW MR2 ROADSTER 0-60 RECORD TIME 3.2 SEC   s8) 8) s8)  

and all because i fitted the new flux capacitor,

new enlarged dolphin valves

and racing donkey flanges!

car goes like lightening now, beat you all!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Actually I got 2.5 on may way to work the other day.
Which surprised me as I was sitting in stop start traffic!

I had a little issue with the install. I chose other location, Ipaq File store and although it created the directory properly, it actually installed the files in "%install dir%". Never mind!

Simon

northernalex

darn,,, foundmy brother's GPS pocket pc thingy.. turned it on.. white screen.. GRR.. it makes sounds... but even a hard reset wont do anything!! oh well.. better look for a new one on  ebay.
evileye_xc said:

Tem

Quote from: "muffdan"I'm pretty confident I can exactly match all that functionality (you would just need to use the software with a GPS receiver that samples at 10Hz or higher). The accuracy with a cheapo 1Hz Receiver should be pretty close too using a good prediction algorithm. I would say +/-3 tenths at worst even though the receiver is 10 times slower.

Is this software still available?  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

enid_b

im still looking for a copy too, help please
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

kanujunkie

well looks like Jason's been busy with this software idea

m http://www.pocketgear.com/en_US/html/di ... rod5480769 m
[size=100]Stu[/size]

northernalex

looks good, well spotted stu !  s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:

kanujunkie

actually i cant take credit for that one, it was posted on the GTR forum, i just recognised it as his work
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: